Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Tomahawk

Visit site
No ...at the off I was firmly rooting for Alex, but after his departure I started taking interest in other competitors and have followed the race more ‘holistically’ rather than just seeing what Alex was doing each day

I completely adore Pip

Does her man know of your devotoin

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Pip Hare rudder issues. Spotted her boat speed dropping last night. My fingers crossed she can remedy it.
I heard her interviewed on Vendée live this lunchtime. It is the port rudder that is damaged, but she does has a spare. She is on port tack, so has been able to disconnect it from the starboard rudder which is doing the work at the minute. The issue is now being able to find a moment to do the job of changing it (this was also a repair that Alain Roura successfully performed on the same boat in the last Vendée Globe). It won't be easy in the conditions.

Pip sounded a bit deflated by the problem; it's been pretty tough going the last few days, massively exacerbated by the wind data issue, so she must be exhausted. Showing her usual spirit, she quickly rallied, saying that she has everything she needs on board to make the repair, and is confident of being able to do it.

Go Pip !!

Frogmogman

Visit site
[video]

This is the job that she now has to do. Alone. In the Southern Ocean.
Jeepers.

I had forgotten that Superbigou had rudders like that; I was thinking she had the pop up ones like the newer boats.

That is a heck of a thing to attempt on your own in mid ocean.

Nimrod18

Visit site
Fair credit to her. Not sure I’d crack something like that on my 18ftr alongside a pontoon. Imagine doing it in at 56 degrees south, 6 degrees water temp and other-than-flat-calm. Oh, and on your own.

Her boat speed’s hovering around 1 knot so I assume she’s going for it now, though tracker says 5m waves and 20kts of wind. Double jeepers.

Fingers still crossed.

flaming

Visit site
Fair credit to her. Not sure I’d crack something like that on my 18ftr alongside a pontoon. Imagine doing it in at 56 degrees south, 6 degrees water temp and other-than-flat-calm. Oh, and on your own.

Her boat speed’s hovering around 1 knot so I assume she’s going for it now, though tracker says 5m waves and 20kts of wind. Double jeepers.

Fingers still crossed.

Job done I gather.

Frogmogman

Visit site
People in France are really starting to sit up and take notice of Pip; I have had French friends commenting on how well she is doing.

On last week's Vendée Live, Alain Gautier said that the two competitors who had most impressed him in this VG have been Damien Seguin and Pip Hare, and today on the same programme Swiss sailor Bernard Stamm (who built Pip's boat) said that she is his hero.

flaming

Visit site
People in France are really starting to sit up and take notice of Pip; I have had French friends commenting on how well she is doing.

On last week's Vendée Live, Alain Gautier said that the two competitors who had most impressed him in this VG have been Damien Seguin and Pip Hare, and today on the same programme Swiss sailor Bernard Stamm (who built Pip's boat) said that she is his hero.
It's funny, and sometimes a little frustrating, the way the rest of the sailing world has taken so long to wake up to what those of us who know Pip and have sailed with her have known for a very long time.

Personally I'd add Clarisse Cremer and Armel Tripon to the list of sailors I wasn't really very aware of before who have impressed me this Vendee. Clarisse for her performance as a rookie in an old boat and superb videos, and Armel because of his comeback, and the fact that he seems to be the happiest man on the planet.

This race is just amazing though, so many phenomenal stories coming out of it.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Personally I'd add Clarisse Cremer and Armel Tripon to the list of sailors I wasn't really very aware of before who have impressed me this Vendee. Clarisse for her performance as a rookie in an old boat and superb videos, and Armel because of his comeback, and the fact that he seems to be the happiest man on the planet.

This race is just amazing though, so many phenomenal stories coming out of it.

Agreed. I also like Romain Attanasio (aka Mr Sam Davies) who has also been having a very good race in quite an old boat. He comes across on his videos as a very pleasant and engaging guy.

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
Her latest video shows Pip replacing the rudder at sea: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi8KwOF6U44
The process seems to be something like this:
1. Set up cameras
2. Change the rudder
3. Get racing (not easy when it takes 25 minutes and superhuman effort just to hoist the mainsail)
4. Edit the video
5. Add subtitles
6. Compress the file so you can send it via satcomm
7. Maybe think about a bit of sleep...
Go Pip!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Her latest video shows Pip replacing the rudder at sea: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi8KwOF6U44
The process seems to be something like this:
1. Set up cameras
2. Change the rudder
3. Get racing (not easy when it takes 25 minutes and superhuman effort just to hoist the mainsail)
4. Edit the video
5. Add subtitles
6. Compress the file so you can send it via satcomm
7. Maybe think about a bit of sleep...
Go Pip!
edited with iMovie. She had a bit of trouble with the default title frames but I'm not going to hold that against her. Brilliant effort!

E39mad

Visit site
Bestaven appears to have got himself stuck in a high pressure system. Dalin has taken almost 200 miles off his lead these past two days and is likely to make even more gains looking at the weather file over the next 24 hours.

I predict that Apivia will get line honours and it will be tight to see if Bestaven can win overall allowing for his time allowance in the PRB rescue.