Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

newtothis

Visit site
England is ranked 2 in world rugby, 5 in world football and 1 in world cricket. I wouldn't call that having our arse kicked. Unless you are talking about the other bits of Britain, of course ;)
Yeah, but the aussies are better at cricket, the kiwis are better at rugby, and football... 1966. :)

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
A-ha I see: the picture with the green tape in the VPLP article is *not* from HB, it's a standard boat building picture from MerAgitee, which is Michel Desjoyeaux company involved in ocean racing, if you look there is not even the deck moulding on. Nothing to share with HB/AT condition at the moment. :)

that dont look like a " tiny " piece of green tape to me ,,, but hey ho i hope he gets sorted.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Having spent too much time looking at the south Atlantic weather today, I've come to the conclusion that the first pair are not going to make the gate to get across to the southern westerlies and in fact if Tommo drifts south as he does the repairs then by the time he's ready to put his foot down he will have an easier route and may well catch them by the time the reach the cape.

But I have had a glass or two of the red stuff so It may be rose tinted ;-)

cherod

Visit site
A-ha I see: the picture with the green tape in the VPLP article is *not* from HB, it's a standard boat building picture from MerAgitee, which is Michel Desjoyeaux company involved in ocean racing, if you look there is not even the deck moulding on. Nothing to share with HB/AT condition at the moment. :)
phew !!!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
There is a long past history of saying/notsaying in many VG editions, competitors saying they are in big trouble in difficult situations to fool others to push harder -with possible breakages-, or officially denying there is any significant problem onboard so others are not tempted to push the throttle. Dubbed "intox" in French press releases but there surely is an English language equivalent :)

flaming

Visit site
Nah, he should not have to deal with this stuff if he had a competent design team!
Design team, or build team, or an un-noticed collision, or undetected damage from the TJV incident.... Or just the result of pushing the envelope? Seems pretty harsh to just slam the design team based on the tiny scraps of info we have right now.

To all those saying that he should have done more races... Remember that the plan was to do all the races before they hit a UFO on the TJV and had to rebuild the bottom of the boat. The boat has still done more offshore miles than most of the people posting on this thread...

And then remember that the boat that did all those races and more, and was the fully justified favourite had it's own pretty big structural failure less than 48 hours in when the main track parted company with the boat.

This is gutting for Alex, but I don't think that the game is up yet.

Spyro

Visit site
The weather is definitely in his favour right now. The leaders have gybed and the chasing pack have slowed so if all goes well with repairs he will still be in with a chance.