Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

matt1

Visit site
Normally I'd agree with the need to build new, but he has been at pains to talk very enthusiastically still about the current Boss. Now that could be a sales pitch of course, or it could be that he genuinely thinks there is more to come from the boat and that this race, above all others, has demonstrated that in the right conditions an old boat may not be at such a disadvantage and that reliability and work up are more relevant. I maintain that he would have won this race if he was in the last Boss. That boat was highly reliable and still competitive in the right hands

flaming

Visit site
Normally I'd agree with the need to build new, but he has been at pains to talk very enthusiastically still about the current Boss. Now that could be a sales pitch of course, or it could be that he genuinely thinks there is more to come from the boat and that this race, above all others, has demonstrated that in the right conditions an old boat may not be at such a disadvantage and that reliability and work up are more relevant. I maintain that he would have won this race if he was in the last Boss. That boat was highly reliable and still competitive in the right hands
Yes... But I think in the cold light of day when they sit down and look at the numbers coming off L'Occitane they'll wonder if they could beat the next generation scow in this boat. To me the key is in the videos you just don't see Armel looking even a bit uncomfortable with the motion. It's clearly the way forward.

Agree that with the benefit of hindsight you'd pick the old Boss with new gen foils as your steed for this race. But for 4 years time..... Not so much.

TLouth7

Visit site
So is it too early to judge whether Louis Burton's tactic has paid off? He has been faster and in marginally stronger wind over the last 4 hours (than Charlie Dalin), and it looks like he has managed to get across onto the low while Charlie still has a little way to go. OTOH he has more miles to get to the Azores.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
So is it to early to judge whether Louis Burton's tactic has paid off? He has been faster and in marginally stronger wind over the last 4 hours (than Charlie Dalin), and it looks like he has managed to get across onto the low while Charlie still has a little way to go. OTOH he has more miles to get to the Azores.

It's looking quite promising for Burton at the moment, depending on which weather model you look at. He may well manage to hang onto some decent breeze while the other leading boats find the wind dropping off for a while. Enthralling stuff.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
It's looking quite promising for Burton at the moment, depending on which weather model you look at. He may well manage to hang onto some decent breeze while the other leading boats find the wind dropping off for a while. Enthralling stuff.

He seems to be the only one of the front runners prepared to make a bit of a gamble at the moment. Hope the others don't leave it too late. Great fun watching it unfold.

E39mad

Visit site
Could be some drama yet in the next few days with tired skippers pushing to the finish. Burton looking good for line honours at the time of writing but Boris or Yannick with their time allowances could grab the win.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Brilliant race, It might not be the fastest but with less than a week to go you can't pick the winner. How much does one of these cost to run for 4 years plus the Vendee? I must have a word with my bank manager ?

Nimrod18

Visit site
Great article from Pip this AM on the Vendée App. Her lead over the following boats is being rapidly eroded, but the 2 boats previously ahead of her seem to be stuck deeper in the same wind hole as her. I wonder if her routing wasn’t the “least bad option“ given the weather patterns she’s been subject to.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Great article from Pip this AM on the Vendée App. Her lead over the following boats is being rapidly eroded, but the 2 boats previously ahead of her seem to be stuck deeper in the same wind hole as her. I wonder if her routing wasn’t the “least bad option“ given the weather patterns she’s been subject to.
It really shows that Pip is a professional journalist. Her copy is always first class, often thought provoking. She’s had a tough time recently, but still seems well focused on her goal.

I reckon she did take the least bad option. The weather can be cruel in sailing; look at the advantage Yannick Bestaven lost by sailing into a hole in the wind whilst the others all caught him up and overtook.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
[
Lous has hist gybed in the last couple of hours. Looks like he has decided he has nothing to loose as he cannot quite seem to get in front of Charlie.

Getting closer though. :)

Looking more like around the world in 80 days for the winners.

Don't think they will be getting much sleep until it's all over. You just have to stay awake and keep changing sail
to maintain optimum speed. I reckon they can do it in their sleep by now.:)

Frogmogman

Visit site
Forgot about his time allowance

Still shouldn't rule out Yannick Bestaven, with 10 hours 15 of time allowance. He is trying a different tactic to the other 4 boats; heading further North, almost to the latitude of S Brittany to try and stay on the edge of the low, before turning in to the finish. If he stay in stronger wind and maintain higher boat speed, then the distance he is trailing can quickly be eaten up.