Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Wansworth

Visit site
To avoid getting hurt or killed, I would guess? Seems like a fairly compelling reason...
I was referring to the idea of broadcasting whale distress calls etc to get them to get out the way,how much distress is that going to cause whales?I Fran wants to race about do it some other way?

Wansworth

Visit site
No where near as much distress as being hit by a ship ...
All needs be done is to persuade the animal to move aside a little bit for a short while.
Trouble is it won’t stop just for a few race boats once the military get hold of it they will be keen to scare off whales from their warships and subs,whales apparently have extremely sensitive hearing

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Looks like the high pressure ridge has defeated the front three. It's an 11 horse race again and probably 14 horse in a few days. Remarkable!

After 17,000 odd miles, the two leaders are 1.4nm apart.

If you wrote a fictional book on the Vendee it would sound daft. Hope there's some video.

Amazing that the hull, sails and other bits can take the 24hr punishment day after day. Have to hand it to the
designers and builders.

I was wondering if you were going round now in an 1970's Whitbread ketch you would feel any safer than in
the Imocoa's ? Personally, I would prefer taking a berth in Le Cam's non foiler.

For info. In 1973 the winner took 133 days. Last time out 74.

Last edited:

Mudisox

Visit site
I think the main difference is in the weather information, and yes I think that I would feel safer in a more solid whitbread ketch along with 10 other folk and modern information, autopilot, and satellite communication.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Just a jolly round the cans then back to the bar...... except the jolly is 60 minutes an hour, 24 hours a day, seven days a week without let up for three months. All the time knowing one mistake the "they"will pull away from you.

No pressure then..

Frogmogman

Visit site
Just a jolly round the cans then back to the bar...... except the jolly is 60 minutes an hour, 24 hours a day, seven days a week without let up for three months. All the time knowing one mistake the "they"will pull away from you.

No pressure then..
Pip Hare’s latest piece described, with her usual eloquence, the difficulty of striking right balance between pressing the boat hard and not breaking anything important.

“I'm reading this back to myself and wondering still if I am pushing too hard. It's a question that bugs me day and night. I am a competitive person I know that; but this extra effort to stretch, to learn, to challenge the status quo of what is possible. This is not about beating other people it's about finding out what I can do with what I have. I guess it's based on the fundamental belief I have that it is always possible to do better. I know I would be devastated if I made an error that put me out of the race. I don't want to be a knuckle head with my foot on the gas that sails the boat until it breaks. I want to make that finish more than anything but equally I am driven to sail the best race I can, I owe it to myself and to everyone who has helped me get here. So I guess I have to trust my instincts and that I will back off when I need to and as I grow in confidence and push Medallia harder my humility remains and my ego stays in check.”

Go Pip !!

Frogmogman

Visit site
Armel Tripon is another one to watch. Was 3000 miles behind the leaders coming down the Atlantic and is now only 900 miles behind.

I mean no disrespect to Armel if I say "So he jolly well should be" .

L'Occitane en Provence is a well funded team with a skipper who has been very successful in the Mini 6.50 class and the Route du Rhum, at the helm of a brand new foiling boat, who appears by his standards to have rather under-performed in the first half of the race. This high pressure in the Southern Pacific which has so stymied the race leaders and compressed the front of the fleet is a godsend to him, as he can put himself back into contention.