Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Does anyone know what the app that Pip Hare has on her phone is? The one that tells her how well she is functioning in terms of cognitive ability. I.e. mental alertness, fatigue, etc.

At 1:14 here:

Because I reckon that would be a very handy thing to have on a boat.

Last edited:

ryanroberts

Visit site
Does anyone know what the app that Pip Hare has on her phone is? The one that tells her how well she is functioning in terms of cognitive ability. I.e. mental alertness, fatigue, etc.

I am not sure I would trust it, though their marketing is good.. They are likely to be training models at this point

Frogmogman

Visit site

At 1:14 here:

She talks about the app in this BBC report, starting at about 3:07

Tech to spot sailor’s mood in tough global race

it is an app developed by Aparato, a company owned by Elin Haf Davies.
Welcome To Elin Haf Davies : Elin Haf Davies

Elin’s husband, Chris Frost, has a very quick Swan 36 called Finola. I’ve sailed against him in the Swan Cup in Sardinia in 2014, when he cleaned up the S&S class.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
@Frogmogman - didn't they also sail across the Atlantic a year or two ago as double handed crew?
Yes they did, in the RORC transatlantic race. Elin has also rowed across the atlantic two handed. Impressive lady; she was also a Welsh Ladies Rugby International.

Pip Hare did the Round Britain race one time on Finola with Chris and Elin.

Kukri

Visit site
She talks about the app in this BBC report, starting at about 3:07

Tech to spot sailor’s mood in tough global race

it is an app developed by Aparato, a company owned by Elin Haf Davies.
Welcome To Elin Haf Davies : Elin Haf Davies

Elin’s husband, Chris Frost, has a very quick Swan 36 called Finola. I’ve sailed against him in the Swan Cup in Sardinia in 2014, when he cleaned up the S&S class.

Thank you very much indeed.

I absolutely want one. I have come to notice that I make very silly mistakes when I am (a) tired and (b) coming off a spell of running on adrenaline. One example was laying off a tidal vector 180 degrees out.

Airscrew

Visit site
Have been following the Brits, Alex, Sam, Pip and Miranda since before the start.
I met Pip briefly in Poole harbour last year on her IMOCA before she had sponsorship.

Despite Alex having excellent technical media and comms, I think Pip deserves an award for her comms to us, almost daily, and full of content and/or emotion.

This is the latest tweet. Excellent!!

Go Pip.
You are awesome.

Frogmogman

Visit site
History does not relate whether Kevin ever did manage to locate JLC’s mythical wine cellar, but I was relieved to see that the Marine Nationale sent aboard a bag of provisions to make up for what he had consumed of Le Cam’s supplies.

It may well be that Escoffier is descended from Auguste Escoffier, and with a name like that had no doubt been escoffing all of le cam’s grub.

Kukri

Visit site
Surprising that the rib had to travel so far to pick up.

Better safe than sorry. The very last thing that the C/O of « Le Nivose » wants to do is to touch the boat. Getting the MOB boat over and under way is a distracting manoeuvre, as is recovering it, and understandably the bridge watch will be paying careful attention to that. You want to make a lee and launch into that, so you will be putting the ship beam on and stopping her, and same again recovering. And the weather is good.

Last edited: