Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Frogmogman

Visit site
Design team, or build team, or an un-noticed collision, or undetected damage from the TJV incident.... Or just the result of pushing the envelope? Seems pretty harsh to just slam the design team based on the tiny scraps of info we have right now.

To all those saying that he should have done more races... Remember that the plan was to do all the races before they hit a UFO on the TJV and had to rebuild the bottom of the boat. The boat has still done more offshore miles than most of the people posting on this thread...

And then remember that the boat that did all those races and more, and was the fully justified favourite had it's own pretty big structural failure less than 48 hours in when the main track parted company with the boat.

This is gutting for Alex, but I don't think that the game is up yet.

Totally agree with you, Flaming.

Slagging off the design team for this is akin to suggesting that F1 engineers and designers are all a bunch of incompetents every time a F1 car breaks.

Let's hope that Alex completes his repair successfully today, and can put his foot back on the gas.

cherod

Visit site
as of 11.00 pm looks like ( according to the plotter ) back on course but still moving slowly (y)
Le Cam made up a few miles and Charal going well

GunfleetSand

Visit site
The 4-6 knots is today’s news if the tracker is correct as I don’t sleep much and am following the race. 12am-1am GMT he was still drifting at -0.2knts. Good to see some progress but is he waiting for Araldite to dry before speeding up

flaming

Visit site
Having now seen the video of the extensive cracks in the bow beams, I am full of admiration for AT's positive attitude. However if anyone now thinks the strength of the design was adequate they must believe in fairies.
I've never seen structure like that in the front of a boat before. That's immense... The loads that it's designed for must be scary, so assuming there's no build fault, the loads that broke it... Wow.

cherod

Visit site
that is just a " tiny " crack ? ,,, it is " significant " ( i think the word AT used ) but not too difficult a repair , ( assuming access is possible ) and as he said it will prob be stronger than before due to the type of repair , i can see now what was meant by the earlier cutting and bolting statement . he does seem quite upbeat about it so hopefully all will be well . (y)

TLouth7

Visit site
I guess it's carrying a big chunk of the forestay loads, plus the shock loads from the bow crashing down into waves. In a narrower, move V shaped forward hull those loads would be carried by the hull sides, and would probably be smaller.

At least the bulkhead and that main diagonal strut appear to be intact.

savageseadog

Visit site
I've never seen structure like that in the front of a boat before. That's immense... The loads that it's designed for must be scary, so assuming there's no build fault, the loads that broke it... Wow.
Are those carbon fibre structures solid or cored in some way? I wouldn't blame anyone for the breakages but theory and CAD is one thing and being bashed about in the sea is another. I've always subscribed to the idea of empirical calculation of boat structures where experience is everything., however when on the leading edge experience isn't there of course.

mainsail1

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotlan
Visit site
Are those carbon fibre structures solid or cored in some way? I wouldn't blame anyone for the breakages but theory and CAD is one thing and being bashed about in the sea is another. I've always subscribed to the idea of empirical calculation of boat structures where experience is everything., however when on the leading edge experience isn't there of course.

Well they had quite a bit of experience to go on because other similar French boats had structural failures in the bow section earlier this year which were strengthened.

flaming

Visit site
Well they had quite a bit of experience to go on because other similar French boats had structural failures in the bow section earlier this year which were strengthened.
I thought that these were in the hull rather than the longitudinals though...