Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Spyro

Visit site
After what happened on the TJV a year ago, like Spyro, my thoughts turn immediately to his canting keel.

Let's hope that the problem is one that Alex can fix. Don't forget, that he very nearly managed to snatch victory last time, despite having one severely damaged foil for much of the race.
Or maybe he has heeled the boat with the keel to avoid water ingress

kof

Visit site
Maybe. Either way I suspect his race is run. If this is a keel or a water ingress problem then there's very little he can fix without outside assistance. Such a shame as I really wanted him to do it this time.

Or maybe he has heeled the boat with the keel to avoid water ingress

laika

Visit site
Well that was weird. I don't do "sport". I confess to having certain negative opinions of blokey blokes who hop up and down on their sofas like chimps being shown a bunch of bananas whenever their team scores a goal or a try or something. Yet reading the update on the Alex Thomson Racing facebook page half an hour ago that he wasn't out I shocked myself by actually saying "Yesssss!" (albeit not aloud). Perhaps I should have added "Get in there" or one of those other phrases that I've never been sure what they mean but "proper blokes" use.

Odd that a once-every-four-years event where people stand a non-trivial chance of dying, which was being lead by a Brit is getting zero coverage from the uk media. Elitist? Well no more so that F1. *Certainly* no more so than the Americas cup which does seem to get covered. "Slow"? In a country which lauds cricket? Srsly? The BBC web site which has articles on "ultimate fighting" has no mention of the VG. The Graun has a "sailing" section under "other sports" but it only seems to be updated by australian journos as the last articles seem to be about the Sydney-Hobart.

Airscrew

Visit site
Well, we know its one of the cross ribs/beams in the bow. We know the team has a plan, and we know from previous years AT can fix fibreglass. So theres a high chance he can get going again. Perhaps 12 or 18 hours for a fix, so I would anticipate him going again late today. We know with some certainty that the window of the LOW that the leaders are/were aiming for will close. It looks like a couple from the following pack (Sam and Louis) are repositioning for the longer route south behind (west of) the second high pressure. That would eliminate the risk of trying to squeeze through a closing gap. By my calcs, that would put the southern routing part of the second group (hopefully then including Alex) about 24 or 30 hours behind the leaders at CapeOGH. So probably not game over...

Giblets

Visit site
Odd that a once-every-four-years event where people stand a non-trivial chance of dying, which was being lead by a Brit is getting zero coverage from the uk media. Elitist? Well no more so that F1. *Certainly* no more so than the Americas cup which does seem to get covered. "Slow"? In a country which lauds cricket? Srsly? The BBC web site which has articles on "ultimate fighting" has no mention of the VG.

Ermm - Sailing | BBC Sport

But one does have to drill well down in the menus to find that page.