VDO Tachometer

superheat6k

Visit site
One of the original 80mm VDO tachos on Boadicea has been replaced with a smaller 52mm, also VDO.

At Netley Boat Jumble I picked up for a few quid a new in box and unused VDO 80mm tacho, but the connections are different.

The older smaller 52mm tacho has: 1 - no connector; 2 (W to Alternator pickup); + ; -

The newer 80mm tacho has: 1; 2 - no connector; + ; -

I tried connecting it with the alternator feed to terminal 1 but nothing happens.

VDO website simply says terminal 1 is not assigned but this tacho does not have a terminal 2 (or W).

There is also a selector switch, but I assume this is to set the pulse count to match the scaling.

Any ideas, or should I return it next boat jumble ?

Voltages for both are multi 9 - 32v.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
One of the original 80mm VDO tachos on Boadicea has been replaced with a smaller 52mm, also VDO.

At Netley Boat Jumble I picked up for a few quid a new in box and unused VDO 80mm tacho, but the connections are different.

The older smaller 52mm tacho has: 1 - no connector; 2 (W to Alternator pickup); + ; -

The newer 80mm tacho has: 1; 2 - no connector; + ; -

I tried connecting it with the alternator feed to terminal 1 but nothing happens.

VDO website simply says terminal 1 is not assigned but this tacho does not have a terminal 2 (or W).

There is also a selector switch, but I assume this is to set the pulse count to match the scaling.

Any ideas, or should I return it next boat jumble ?

Voltages for both are multi 9 - 32v.

I have a 80mm VDO tach in my wheelhouse that is driven by a tachogenerator and does not connect to 12V
power or alternator.

It could be the same type.

Does it have a part number if so I may be able to get you details as VDO have various types and sizes of Tacho's

superheat6k

Visit site
If you put the part number into this page, you can download the instruction sheet giving the correct connections and dip switch settings - https://www.vdo-gauges.com/searchproduct
Thanks but I tried that earlier, it just doesn't recognise the VDO number written on the side of the tachos - neither old nor newer. I will check if the box has any other numbers on.

burgundyben

Visit site
I have a 80mm VDO tach in my wheelhouse that is driven by a tachogenerator and does not connect to 12V
power or alternator.

It could be the same type.

Does it have a part number if so I may be able to get you details as VDO have various types and sizes of Tacho's

I reckon you might be right. As far as I know a tacho with only 2 wires is for connecting to a minigen.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I reckon you might be right. As far as I know a tacho with only 2 wires is for connecting to a minigen.

tach1.jpg

vdo-water-temp-gauge-wiring-diagram-2.jpg

It says speedometer but the same setup is also used on a tachometer with the inductive sensor on a pulse gear.

tach3.jpg

Other threads that may be of interest