VAT and returning to NI from EU.

dgadee

Visit site
Just had a reply to my query about bringing a boat home from the EU to NI. I can do this without paying VAT, but it seems I would not be able to move it to GB without VAT having to be paid. This makes you wonder whether boats in NI can now be sold to mainlanders without incurring import dues etc. Glad that Johnson put so much effort into his Withdrawal Agreement. (not).

HMRC say:

"The section above " between Northern Ireland and the EU which continue to be treated as intra-community movements " confirms NI-EU movements will be treated the same way as they were prior to the end of transition (i.e. prior to 1/1/2021). This means that for the vessels that moved from NI to France and Greece, if they were to re-enter NI from the EU there would be no import VAT or duty to pay as these would be classed as intra-community movements. It should be noted though that should these vessels stop in the UK, even if it's temporarily, this would be classed as an import and import charges would be due unless a relief, such as Temporary Admission, applied."

dgadee

Visit site
And a further email suggests that moving a boat from NI to GB will not have VAT imposed.

What a strange world we seem to be living in. Move your boat from France to NI then to England and avoid VAT?

D

Deleted member 36384

It’s ironic that a democratic decision that disadvantages a significant minority of U.K. citizens, doesn’t disadvantage those UK citizens who resorted to violence and achieved special considerations.

It’s a crazy world of contradictions that we live in.