Varnish or Oil ?

Saint Raphael

Visit site
I have a small gaff rigged boat that lies in a marina throughout the Summer, in The Mediterranean. This season I applied a number of coats of Owatrol D2 on all the woodwork, but it seems it
provided little protection from the very hot sun down here. Does anybody have any ideas of what else I could try. The wood is Iroko.

Tranona

Visit site
One of the modern woodstains such as Cetol 7 2 coat system or International Woodskin which is a one pot. Application of the latter is easy, UV resistant but does not give that shiny varnish finish. This is my cabin doors - teak that had been left bare for 4 years before being cleaned and rubbed down, 3 coats of Woodskin. Faces west all year round although under cover for 4 months of the winter.

As you have discovered oils are useless externally even in our less harsh climate. Having owned a wooden boat for over 40 years I have been through most of the finishes and once you accept that you won't get that furniture finish, woodstains win.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_083321.jpg
    IMG_20201208_083321.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 19

Saint Raphael

Visit site
Thanks so much for that information. Certainly oil in my situation is totally useless. It offers little or no protection against the heat and UV. I will try International Woodskin, and report back later this year or next. Thanks again.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Thanks for that recomendation. If it’s good enough for the French Navy….then it’s good enough for me !
If you are looking for the glossy, varnished appearance, I can endorse International’s traditional Spar Varnish which seems after 2 years to provide good UV protection with 7 coats. Others swear by Epiphanes Spar Varnish. My boat is at 045 degrees latitude with hot summers but a long winter season under cover, so you will have a bigger UV challenge than I do, however.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Thanks James. Putting on a full cover isn't terribly practical. Is there a varnish you especially use?
I use Jotun's Spontan varnish. It's easy to apply, and soft enough to touch up. However it is a traditional varnish and does require a lot of work. Covers make all the difference and I had full sun covers on my 33 footer in Sydney and again in the UK.

Saint Raphael

Visit site
I use Jotun's Spontan varnish. It's easy to apply, and soft enough to touch up. However it is a traditional varnish and does require a lot of work. Covers make all the difference and I had full sun covers on my 33 footer in Sydney and again in the UK.
Thanks for the recommendation, I am going to try International Woodskin first.

jamie N

Visit site
Very good luck with your choice. Asking a question of personal preference, such as anchor's or varnish, would in less enlightened times lead to an astonishing amount of venom indicating that any 'other' choice, was a familial insult on a par with anything that you'll have ever seen in a mafia film.