Vaquero

Superflid

Visit site
A friend spotted the piece in SYH's "Harbour Light" about you and your boat and spotted something he wanted to ask about (he must have much better eyesight than me!).
Are you using a backstay as an antenna?
If so, what type of balun are you using?
He's considering doing this on his Hurley 22....

Now, I'm just passing on the questions, and have very little knowledge of radios or antennae, so please excuse me if he is completely wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cheers.

Ken.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Hi Ken,

Yes, I do have an insulated backstay to which I have connected my Nasa Target SSB receiver. As I had to change the rigging on grounds of unknown age, I thought an insulated backstay would be a good idea and it gives excellent reception. I don't have a SSB transceiver as they are too expensive and of limited value for communicating to the shore, now that they have closed Portishead Radio. Satphones are more convenient if you can afford to buy and run them. I might save up for one for the JC2010, but then again I may not; depends how lonely I get between Plymouth and Praia da Vittoria! Interestingly, in the midst of a snowstorm last Saturday I noticed that it almost completely obliterated reception - never noticed that before, but then again, it's not often I'm on the boat in the midst of a snowstorm.

I'm not sure what a balun is, so I don't even know if I have one.

Superflid

Visit site
That makes two of us then!

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on later this week. Interesting comment on the snow affecting reception - I might be out in it soon if the weather doesn't pick up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif