Vandals. Here's a question.

Caraway

Visit site
I've several times almost made the move to waterborne living. Three times quite seriously. But I've never been a camping type and in all honesty, would probably find some privations limiting.
But something no-one has dealt with has been security.
I watched this vlog the other day and thought, that it highlighted something few people mention. Is it representative?

PlanB

Visit site
WE lived aboard for a number of years, but in a secure marina. As a naturally cautious type I would not want to live aboard in an "exposed" way.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Regrettably there will always be yobs about who show no respect for others or other’s property. Mooring in close proximity to centres of population will always increase the likelihood of encountering such yobbish behaviour. What can be done about the yobs? Nothing I fear. Gone are the days when the local Bobby could apply a clip around the ‘earole’ in an attempt to modify such behaviour. These days we’re more likely to have a society for the protection of yobs with government funding to ensure yobbish diversity in society or some other such nonsense.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I've spent quite a few nights on various parts of the cut and never had a problem. I suspect that there are known trouble spots - inner city, poorly lit etc. In addition, many boaters like to moor relatively near road access, but it strikes me that your average vandal may not bother with a long traipse in the dark down a muddy towpath.

Narrow boats are steel and so relatively secure - not leaving anything valuable out and tying up with other like minded souls may help. In extremis, I have wondered about (illegally) tying up on the "off" side of the cut where there is generally no access.

I guess planning and the judicious use of marinas may help.

But I agree, vandals are the lowest of the low.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You find yobs every where and I expect if you look at our own behaviour when we was teens we probably be classed as yob in our days .
Its life .
Its how you deal with yobish behaviour when you incounted it which is important,

ryanroberts

Visit site
I lived on an actually cruising narrowboat for nearly 10 years, with very few incidents compared to living in Manchester.. Boating through central manchester is grim, and has kicked off twice on me (the latter group later got done for a series of quite nasty armed muggings in the Gay village, we are way beyond clip round the ear territory in some areas). It's a shame, but sketchy areas are best done early as possible on a weekend. London the problem isn't the boats per se but the walking on unlit towpaths, lots of mugging, My boat had portholes and steel doors.. this also helps. Cutsie little wooden doors and big single glazed windows will get opportunists, mine looked rather more like a bat boat.

You should also have an excuse to be carrying felling axes, calder lock spikes etc which can be comforting. Nothing like the sound of a chainsaw starting to unsettle even the hardiest adolescent I hear.

Last edited:

Ric

Visit site
You find yobs every where and I expect if you look at our own behaviour when we was teens we probably be classed as yob in our days .
Its life .
Its how you deal with yobish behaviour when you incounted it which is important,

You still are a yob, judging by your spelling and grammar:)

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
You still are a yob, judging by your spelling and grammar:)
Ric, sailaboutvic is a well known and respected liveaboard on this forum.
He has many times been abused for his dyslexia and has explained it in the past.
Perhaps your comments are an 'in' joke but truly a little insensitive? :confused:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Seashoreman , I give it a like , because after so many years getting stick over my disability ,
It never stop me from helping other navigating the world of cruising and helping them becoming a liveaboard ,
I also found by trying to explain dyslexic to some people only add fuel to the fire .
But some how I do thing Ric was tying to make a joke out of it .
Thanks for your support .

Sailfree

Visit site
Depends where.

In UK at Hamble Point Marina there was the odd theft. They had security staff doing rounds and barrier at entrance overnight.

Later moved to our YC marina on S Coast and we had a volunteer boat watch scheme and thefts did occur on moored boats in Poole Harbour and outboards at the YC club. Gated club entrance for cars and pass entrance for pontoons. I believe most thefts were access from the water.

Period just before Beaulieu boat jumble sale appears a risky time for thefts.

In Nazare there is a guard at marina Road entrance and pass access only to Pontoon. We have lived aboard for last 12months while new house being built. When too many live aboard yachts in transit S and cold overnight the electricity tripped a few times but I could reset it.

Cosy living for 2 but thats on 43' we did have internet. Don't think I would like to do it in UK with colder climate plus I believe many marinas are getting stricter in enforcing no liveraboards.

During lockdown in Portugal (that around Nazare was enforced by GRN) there was only 2 other transiting liveaboard yachts so we did feel safe Covidwise! We were allowed to go walks for exercise.

Boats in transit were allowed on the fuel pontoon for fuel and water and maritime police went to supermarket and bought their shopping! Trainsitting boat Crew were not allowed ashore at all.

Last edited: