Used boat values

ari

Visit site
Exactly the same here - if anything this makes me more determined to keep it. I suspect that there will be people who have previously sat on the fence who will now think 'sod it, let's do it, let's get that boat'. Whether that will be enough to counteract people forced to sell for financial reasons remains to be seen.

Interesting times and wouldn't like to predict.

ari

Visit site
The main 3 don’t build anything that the average boater can afford to buy new , there not interested in grass root boat building anymore , well at the moment they aren’t.
Maybe after this C19 era things might change ,

Back when they were big in this area (late Eighties, early Nineties - Princess for example had 266R/286R/330/35/388/415, Fairline had 21 Sprint, 24 Carrera, 26 Sunfury, Targa 30, 33, etc etc) there weren't really any serious mass producers to contend with. Now the likes of Jeanneau and Beneteau are pushing boats into that segment with vast mass produced efficiencies (and thus low prices) that Princess, Sunseeker etc can't hope to compete with. It would be like Rolls Royce bringing out a model to compete with the Ford Focus. They just don't have the massive economies of scale, better to make small numbers of very expensive hand built products where the profit margin makes up for the smaller quantities.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong mind you, I'd love to see a modern Princess 266 or 388 or a current version of a Sunfury.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
As an example of prices , 7 years ago I advertised my Princess 410 for 95k , it attained 10% less than that , after 7 years with present owner its for sale at 95k .

Kawasaki

Visit site
As an example of prices , 7 years ago I advertised my Princess 410 for 95k , it attained 10% less than that , after 7 years with present owner its for sale at 95k .
Yes but Paul that was 7 years of relative stability
The likes of which we may not see for a very long time
Whats happening now is taking us in to the uknown
'Values' of all sorts of Items, 'Things and a Way of Life are going to change beyond recognition
We can all guess on here about boat values
What's real is
We don't know!

BruceK

Visit site
Yes but Paul that was 7 years of relative stability
The likes of which we may not see for a very long time
Whats happening now is taking us in to the uknown
'Values' of all sorts of Items, 'Things and a Way of Life are going to change beyond recognition
We can all guess on here about boat values
What's real is
We don't know!

Cheer up Mr Grumpy. At the end of the day it's what the boat is worth to me not what I can get for it. And that value is priceless. I own it outright so what comes comes.

gordmac

Visit site
The majority of boat buyers are probably like the majority of house buyers, they are in a chain to buy you need to sell first so the benefit of a falling or rising market tend to balance out. New to market buyers tend to be rare in a recession
That is basically where I am assuming a property sale goes through, I intend to use the money on a boat but I need to sell my present one (a probably unique Levi Corsair) before I can think about buying. Not that I am seeing much I would buy at a price I could afford!

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
A very good friend of ours runs one of the "we will buy your house" outfits, amazes me that so many people prepared to take a hit these days from small flats to substantial properties. Anyway they have already had an upturn in inquiries.

Momac

Visit site
A very good friend of ours runs one of the "we will buy your house" outfits, amazes me that so many people prepared to take a hit these days from small flats to substantial properties. Anyway they have already had an upturn in inquiries.

People who have owned the property years are still making a profit over the sum they paid even if the cash sale is say 10% below market value .
However I would have thought property safer than cash at the moment , but open to opinions on that.

Portofino

Visit site
He will have to kick them harder in the balls so he doesn’t go underwater, hanging on them while he attempts to realise a profit .

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
Exactly the same here - if anything this makes me more determined to keep it. I suspect that there will be people who have previously sat on the fence who will now think 'sod it, let's do it, let's get that boat'. Whether that will be enough to counteract people forced to sell for financial reasons remains to be seen.

Interesting times and wouldn't like to predict.

We are feeling exactly the same but seriously considering going significantly larger. We own what we have, we can ‘afford’ the upgrade and ongoing costs without sacrificing other aspects of our lives so why shouldn’t we ?‍♂️

If anyone HAS to sell then I am sure that there are significant buyers so there won’t be an enormous drop in prices but let’s be honest, this is a luxury in life and as such it has to be considered expendable funds. We all know that we hide the true costs from ourselves and just turn a blind eye just to enjoy it.

Last edited:

ari

Visit site
Interesting article in MBY this month, seems that what's happening is that boat sales are booming! Kind of makes sense really, people with a fair bit of disposable income now don't want to travel or stay in hotels with their families, suddenly a boat looks like a great family pastime.

Greg2

Visit site
Interesting article in MBY this month, seems that what's happening is that boat sales are booming! Kind of makes sense really, people with a fair bit of disposable income now don't want to travel or stay in hotels with their families, suddenly a boat looks like a great family pastime.

Yep, they are literally flying off the shelves - our local brokerage are touting for stock and, as you say, quite a number of new boaters looking for alternatives to holidays abroad We just missed a boat that had been on the market for several years and when we got to the point that we were happy that our sale is secure I spoke to the Broker again and they had just accepted an offer. Now on the trail of another marque - one in our Marina so thought this will be easy but same again - had just gone under offer. Now agreed a deal on another.

Be interesting to see how things pan out in the longer term - is this just a bubble and as the new boaters hit the winter and begin to get a taste of the reality of boat ownership will some start to come back on the market? What effect will the potentially very serious recession have? There is a school of thought that many who buy boats aren’t the ones that will be badly affected financially. Only time will tell I guess.

Bouba

Visit site
I would have to agree. The confinement sharpened people’s sense of what is important in life. Yesterday I saw a brand new boat on the slipway, it’s name? ‘Virus’