Used boat values

John100156

Visit site
Quick....
Lets all rush-out to sell our boats for next to nothing, to beat the rush, all our cupboards are fully stocked and rammed with toilet rolls so that's the natural progression... Naaaah I don't think so!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yesterday the Daily Telegraph reccomended people in the process of buying houses reduce their offer by up to 20%. What is the prediction for boat prices?

If youve got cash to spend on a boat currently and youre willing to spend it, go to a dealer with stock boats and just name your price. At least 20% under asking price and possibly more. The difference between private sellers and dealers is that private sellers in the main dont have to sell whereas dealers have stock boats burning a massive hole in their cash and which they have to sell to generate turnover and profit to stay in business. The big problem with buying a dealer stock boat is that it might have been used as collateral for a loan, so buy from a well established dealer for security

Ian h

Visit site
Let’s hope MDL reimburse those who have paid for the season already or at least reduce next season significantly !
Other marinas are available .
I was in the process of changing marinas moving away from MDL . I appreciate that these are unusual times but going to be an interesting conversation.

ari

Visit site
If you want a common boat - you can beat price down substantially - always have been able to .... but if its rather special and limited availability ? Your chances then are very lucky if you can.

I'd suggest that the complete opposite is true. If you want a popular (common) boat you're going to need to pay the price because, guess what, so does everyone else. And if you feel that 'you always have been able to beat the price down substantially' I wonder where you've been for the last few years (might be different now, we shall see). Until now it's been very much a seller's market for certain.

Boats that are 'special and limited availability' (the ones few people want) - they're the ones that you can usually get a 'good deal' against asking price . Of course you pay the price at the other end when you're trying to sell and everyone wants 'common' (popular) boats so it's your turn to bite the bullet.

Refueler

Visit site
I'd suggest that the complete opposite is true. If you want a popular (common) boat you're going to need to pay the price because, guess what, so does everyone else. And if you feel that 'you always have been able to beat the price down substantially' I wonder where you've been for the last few years (might be different now, we shall see). Until now it's been very much a seller's market for certain.

Boats that are 'special and limited availability' (the ones few people want) - they're the ones that you can usually get a 'good deal' against asking price . Of course you pay the price at the other end when you're trying to sell and everyone wants 'common' (popular) boats so it's your turn to bite the bullet.

Dunno where you've been .... but common boats on market usually have overstated price by sellers .. they see other boats same asking price X and they ask same. But they don't sell at those prices ....

I would also say it has never been a sellers market .....

The uncommon boats - I meant the special jobs that are a) expensive anyway, b) built with extras and standards different to the common boat ... boats most would like but cannot afford.

Part of my old business in UK before I left - Naviatech Marine Services - was to source boats and I always secured good discounts on 'common' boats such as Westerly ... Jeanneau .... Beneteau ..... Moody etc. But as soon as I had request to source an unusual boat - prices were hard to dislodge. So I am not just talking - I am passing on actual experience.

superheat6k

Visit site
Yesterday the Daily Telegraph reccomended people in the process of buying houses reduce their offer by up to 20%. What is the prediction for boat prices?
If a would be buyer did this to me he would not be buying my house, simple. I do not deal with folk who dishonour their promises.

As to boat prices - don't even go there, still can't be as bad as my pension pot losses.

Momac

Visit site

I predict the reverse will become reality . Cash money presently held including investments will become of little or no value (in fact that is happening already) and property including houses, boats , Diamonds , Gold will remain highly valued assets.
Buy a boat now before your money becomes of insufficient .

ari

Visit site
Dunno where you've been .... but common boats on market usually have overstated price by sellers .. they see other boats same asking price X and they ask same. But they don't sell at those prices ....

I would also say it has never been a sellers market .....

The uncommon boats - I meant the special jobs that are a) expensive anyway, b) built with extras and standards different to the common boat ... boats most would like but cannot afford.

Part of my old business in UK before I left - Naviatech Marine Services - was to source boats and I always secured good discounts on 'common' boats such as Westerly ... Jeanneau .... Beneteau ..... Moody etc. But as soon as I had request to source an unusual boat - prices were hard to dislodge. So I am not just talking - I am passing on actual experience.

I'd be curious to know when you left the UK and when you were a broker for Naviatech Marine Services (no mention at all of that brokerage at all from a quick Google search, other than a long since closed down Estonian business).

For the last decade there's been a serious drain of desirable UK boats abroad due to the weak pound, coupled with depressed new sales from about 2007 onward. Hence a serious shortage of desirable boats 3-12 years old, and hence very much a seller's market (plenty of threads on the subject in this very forum if you care to look).

The fact that you mention Moody also suggests that you weren't actually dealing with motorboats at all in any case...

Refueler

Visit site
I'd be curious to know when you left the UK and when you were a broker for Naviatech Marine Services (no mention at all of that brokerage at all from a quick Google search, other than a long since closed down Estonian business).

For the last decade there's been a serious drain of desirable UK boats abroad due to the weak pound, coupled with depressed new sales from about 2007 onward. Hence a serious shortage of desirable boats 3-12 years old, and hence very much a seller's market (plenty of threads on the subject in this very forum if you care to look).

The fact that you mention Moody also suggests that you weren't actually dealing with motorboats at all in any case...

NMS was my own company and not a 'broker' .... just to humour you ...

It conducted surveys, value assessments, repair supervision as its main core business, 'Finders' services for UK and particularly foreign buyers was a sideline that was created by buyers who wanted me to find boats for them.
When I left UK - NMS was used to buy a Company in Estonia and also to register in Latvia ... it conducted not only pleasure boat business - but Shipping business as well. NMS never closed down ... it changed name and location ...
Estonian arm was suspended due to the reduction of Russian exports via Estonia.

Anyway - my business structure is none of your business ... the fact is I reported what was fact ...

And please stop trying to convince me sellers get their asking price ... MoBo or Sail ... the only time that happens is when a seller actually asks realistic price instead of the wished for fantasy you usually see.

Take any sales site and look at the prices and 99% will have under that price ... REDUCED or OPEN TO OFFERS ... so much for sellers market !!

Portofino

Visit site
Well this is what I see

Things imho tend to have the opposite effect because there are other factors hidden that hither-too have not emerged.
A disaster, well it’s a bit more than national, it’s truly global does this sort of thing .
Turns what where accepted norms upside down .

The doom merchants on this topic have not realised the economy is basically like a park see saw .So as one end goes down ....hospitality sector for example and self employed “white van man “ , firstly ask are theses folks in the game anyhow ?
I mean bar workers , hotel staff , jobbing trades men being turned away at sites .....really £1/4 M circa boat owners or were they ever prospectives ??
All theses folks arriving at food banks we see reporters talking to on every day this week on the 6 o clock news experiencing hardship ....nope not in our game .

Company owners maybe agree some will go down , again but which are up ? Well there’s no way subtle around this ....those in the funeral industry, medical laboratory industry, PPE industry, distribution , wholesale food , larger retail food .
City “ boys “ I know a guy who made £200 K clean in one day on falling sterling against USD alone .
Volatility = profit for the city either way both on the downward slope of the V and the upwards .
It’s a tiny market more so new so you don’t need many out of the EU population to be players in it .
So that’s an economic argument ( talking boats )

There’s a deeper second co argument that I think may bring more players in lower down on the bottom rungs of the boat ownership ladder .Its after all this , when normal service resumes folks might now be reflecting on staying home more , less frivolous foreign travel , less frivolous daft consumer materialistic purchases , make do with a more simple kinda down sized lifestyle which means a swing towards more family and “me time “ kinda value more doing the simple things together with family .eg pottering about in day sailor or small open bow rider power boat etc that kinda thing .

As far as house prices the article , I think the market will glitch slow down sort of bung up and stop in the next 3/4 months then rebound somewhat activity wise .There will be strong demand in the private renter segment and a few opportunities for investors expanding portfolios moving out of equities, cashing in recent gold gains etc despite recent gov headwinds .

I see bare land values rising steeply you know farm land to grow crops , because basically they stopped making it centuries ago and brexit along with “ safe haven “ psyche after the markets falling will push up U.K. land .+ the relaxation trend of planning coupled with national pressure to build more houses .A triple whammy there .
As far a prices as always supply and demand .

Millennials are calling this the “ inheritance “ virus ! ......so solicitors will be busy too .

Refueler

Visit site
I think that the Status Quo will alter as the CV19 is sorted. The rich nations will have had to prop up not only their own economies - but also that of the poorer.
The effect will have speeded up the demise of the traditional rich nations control and the rise of the poorer nations ..

The trick will be whether such as the UK / USA etc. will understand this and work with it - or fail trying to fight it.

I think the days of the G7 ... G8 ... G20 etc. are numbered ...

ari

Visit site
NMS was my own company and not a 'broker' .... just to humour you ...

It conducted surveys, value assessments, repair supervision as its main core business, 'Finders' services for UK and particularly foreign buyers was a sideline that was created by buyers who wanted me to find boats for them.
When I left UK - NMS was used to buy a Company in Estonia and also to register in Latvia ... it conducted not only pleasure boat business - but Shipping business as well. NMS never closed down ... it changed name and location ...
Estonian arm was suspended due to the reduction of Russian exports via Estonia.

Anyway - my business structure is none of your business ... the fact is I reported what was fact ...

And please stop trying to convince me sellers get their asking price ... MoBo or Sail ... the only time that happens is when a seller actually asks realistic price instead of the wished for fantasy you usually see.

Take any sales site and look at the prices and 99% will have under that price ... REDUCED or OPEN TO OFFERS ... so much for sellers market !!

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, the facts are the facts. New boat sales have been depressed from 08 until recently for very obvious reasons leading to a dearth of decent used stock, in that timeframe way more have left the country than come in due to the weak pound affecting supply and demand even further, and popular boats will always be an easier sale than niche boats. Unarguable facts. Have a look through this forum at people's actual real world experiences, see for yourself. :)

jrudge

Visit site
I am sure that there are some high end non mainstream boats that may get a premium, but I think you will find the experience of most on here is that the value of a mainstream boat is relatively known and people want them. Hence they have a market price which they change hands at.

I had a Cranchi here. Could I sell it. No. No one was looking for one.

Refueler

Visit site
I'm not trying to convince you of anything, the facts are the facts. New boat sales have been depressed from 08 until recently for very obvious reasons leading to a dearth of decent used stock, in that timeframe way more have left the country than come in due to the weak pound affecting supply and demand even further, and popular boats will always be an easier sale than niche boats. Unarguable facts. Have a look through this forum at people's actual real world experiences, see for yourself. :)

I bet that if a poll was put up and this forum was asked to choose ... did they pay full sellers asking price or negotiated a discounted lesser price ... the number who paid less would far outnumber those that paid what was asked ...

I don't need to check through forum postings ....... the brokers sites themselves speak volumes on this .... REDUCED PRICE .... OFFERS INVITED ... its hard in fact to find any normal range boat advertised that doesn't have such comment !!

The price reduction gets even better when you show there's no wait for the money !!

But you believe what you want ... not my problem.

oldgit

Visit site
There is a particular model of boat which was once very popular indeed and held its price remarkably well for over 40 years.
There are now over 25 + examples of this type of boat on brokers lists and know of two more about to join them.
Prices range from offers on £25K, up to a boat where the asking price was the wrong side of £100K
Probably 20 boats are clustered in the middle price band. A lot of boat offering space and pace for not much money.

That is buyers market , for this particular type of boat.
Wish I was buying a boat now and would suggest if you have the spare cash and the confidence, now is the time to buy.
There will be some deals around.

Last edited:

ari

Visit site
No where have I said that everyone is paying the asking price, never has that been the case. But there's no question that popular model good used boats have been in short supply. As I say, that's simple fact for the reasons above (shortage of new buyers from 08 on and weakness of pound sending a lot of UK stock aboard).

Whether that will change during and after this situation, no one knows. I wouldn't be wanting to have to sell my boat in a hurry right now, that's for sure.

BruceK

Visit site
There is a particular model of boat which was very popular indeed and held its price remarkably well for nearly 40 years.
There are now over 25 + examples of this type of boat on brokers lists and know of two more about to join them.
Prices range from offers on £25K, up to a boat where the asking price was the wrong side of £100K
Probably 20 boats are clustered in the middle price band.

That is buyers market.
Wish I was buying a boat now.

Ah the sliding scale between realist and dreamer vs pragmatist and fool. ?

Refueler

Visit site
No where have I said that everyone is paying the asking price, never has that been the case. But there's no question that popular model good used boats have been in short supply. As I say, that's simple fact for the reasons above (shortage of new buyers from 08 on and weakness of pound sending a lot of UK stock aboard).

Whether that will change during and after this situation, no one knows. I wouldn't be wanting to have to sell my boat in a hurry right now, that's for sure.

So why do you keep trying to convince me of : 'quote' hence very much a seller's market 'unquote' ......

Sellers market means that seller commands pricing and buyers have no choice but pay up ............. you even tried embarrassing me by digging into NMS .... tut tut !!

Think we've come to end of this little tete a tete ....

John100156

Visit site
No, No, don't give up, what with C-19 issues its been most entertaining...

A boat is simply worth what you can get for it which if it coincides with someone actually wanting to buy it, works out well for all parties, like selling cucumbers on a stall down the market, oh dear, exposing my routes now.....;-)