usage

jkim1

Visit site
what am I going to do with 100 litres of red in my tank, I dont use a lot of diesel, but keep the tank full to avoid corrosion. Can I use the red and top it up with red that I have paid the duty on, 0r do I have to try and drain all the red refill with red that the duty has been paid on. It could well be that I have red in the tank for 4 years. I would like to think that you could use the diesel bought legally before this stupid law came out, and gradually top it up. and as derv is low sulphur, its probably better to run the engine on road fuel anyway, If I were to re engine now it will be a lot cheaper to re engine with petrol as petrol is cheaper than diesel, or use lng which is cheaper still. this may make boating more dangerous, unless proper precautions are taken. Is the government going to subsidise people who convert to gas, and how much will the subsidy be. Bring back maggie I say she would have stopped all this bull. just tax the liver out of people who have saved up and bought an old boat, and run it on a shoestring and a prayer. while they drive round for free in goverment limos, which we pay for. <span style="color:red"> </span> /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Whitelighter

Visit site
The red in your tank has had duty paid at the correct rate at time of purchase - there is no limit on the time you can use it. After Nov 1st it doesnt matter how long it sits in your tanks as it was legally bought with all duty paid.

RBates

Visit site
Why not do as I am Sell the b....y thing take the cash and look for an apartment somewhere foreign to hell with this thieving Labour Government everyone should sell up and get out before they are robbed of every penny they worked hard for all their lives

jkim1

Visit site
many thanks for rather pleasing information. I think I will install another tank for heating and battery charging. and use all the diesel I already have. At one time i was thinking of using all the red going to france filling up with french diesel (white) and putting this into the car, french diesel is cheaper than uk and the right colour. But as yet I havent done it. I am also rather glad theres more than me that has the same thoughts of our (probably better not to write this down but you can imagine what should be written here) . If you have never worked and are completely lazy you have the right government for you right now. Not many pbo readers fall into that bracket.

Visit site
Any reason I can't buy a few hundred (or thousand ?) gallons before Nov- store it in a farmers tank - and use it over the next 20 years - not resell - just personal use ? Beats any savings rates currently on offer.

Just curious ...

Nickcf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Any reason I can't buy a few hundred (or thousand ?) gallons before Nov- store it in a farmers tank - and use it over the next 20 years - not resell - just personal use ? Beats any savings rates currently on offer.

Just curious ...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfectly legal (assuming storage facility meets the regs etc.) Tax is paid at the time of purchase not use. Obvious nause is the transport of the fuel to the boat, lugging 25 litre cans around is a problem! 120 litre drums are a nightmare and also most marinas ban refueling except from their own fuel facility!

Visit site
Hmm - might be worth considering. I have a saily boat - so a couple of 25l cans every so often really isn't an issue (I normally refuel that way anyway)

If I bought and paid for and kept the receipt for a few 100 gallons that would see me through the next x years. Storage would meet requiremenst (as it has to on the farm anyway) - diesel wouldn't actually get old - as the tank would get recycled every few months (I suppose effectively I'd be lending my diesel to the farm and they would then replace - wonder if tax man would try and make something of that ..)

I guarantee the tax man won't like it if he can be bothered to check - but if its legal - might be worth considering ..