US Pollution Insurance

Gargleblaster

Visit site
There has been a discussion on the Jester Challenge Yahoo Group [closed group] on the subject title that I thought might be of interest to .the wider single handed community.

I received the following from one of my insurers: Yachtline.
When in US waters....the latest requirement

All yachts sailing in US waters must now have $939,800 of pollution liability cover, even sailing yachts. Yachtline can provide this extra cover if you let us know you'll be in US waters. If you are going to need this extra cover, do contact the Yachtline office.

A Canadian Jester has been wading through the intricacies of US bureaucracy and has come up with the following answer to the issue.

"To close this topic the Certificate of Financial Responsibility does not apply too foreign pleasure recreational vessels in US waters

The USCG'S Lt. Wilcox who can be reached 401 435 2335 in Rhode Island was most helpful in relaying and confirming that no special insurance rider is required for the type of vessels that will be coming into Newport. The standard USCG safety requirements for recreational vessels do apply.

A link for self inspection for all vessels entering US waters is provided below to ensure compliance with USCG safety requirements.

http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT "