Unstepping Mast: Le Havre v Honfleur ??

G

Any advice on unstepping masts prior to doing the french canals? I vaguely remember an article in YM about a disaster unstepping the mast but cannot trace the copy. Thanks in Advance
Joss

G

I remember the article, but not which month's YM it was. The advice was to unstep the mast in Le Havre rather than Rouen. I don't think it mentioned Honfleur as a possibility. The problem at Rouen was that the crane rope was attached belowthe centre of mass of the mast, which promptly did a 180 when it was unstepped. I had previously heard from another source that Rouen was not a good bet.

G

Unstepping mast without capsize risk

When my mast was unstepped in January the Dutch yard used a method that I had not seen before, but which I thought excellent in its simplicity and low risk of the Rouen-type problems. They attached the crane hook to the end of the spinnaker halyard, which was cleated off at the mast foot. Masthead instruments were removed beforehand. This avoided many of the tipping/swinging/decklight-damage problems that I have encountered previously, as the mast is taken off and on in a perfectly vertical attitude with no slings on the mast.

G

Re: Unstepping mast without capsize risk

Hi vwv,
Interesting but you did not explain how you remove masthead instruments first ? Climb up the mast? Traditionally (at least for the last 25 years)using the crane or travel hoist we make up a strop under the spreader roots which are generally above the COG of the mast and the crane lifts gently- and one can pivot the mast horizontally manually and lay it on the deck supports etc. Once I beached the boat (was a lifting keel Super Seal) and used the spinaker pole lashed to the mast as a lever and lowered it sucessfullyusing the mainsheet purchase attached to the bow & Genoa . halyard. However I have a 32" and plan to lower in France ? hence the query. Regards