Universal Marina land grab

dom

Visit site
This just hit my inbox:-

Everyone

Following our recent consultation and in the light of comments made by respondents and the depth of feeling expressed against this proposal around the River, The Crown Estate has concluded that it cannot agree to this proposal given it would otherwise result in ‘detriment to its operations on the River Hamble and to the interests of its berthing holders both immediately affected and more broadly on the River’. The Crown Estate has said it remains open to exploring alternative schemes that would not adversely affect The Crown Estate’s mid-stream moorings.

I have spoken to or corresponded with every one of the 200 people to whom this message is sent and know that this has caused considerable anxiety. Thank you all for taking the time to write in.

Keep well and best wishes for the remainder of this challenging year.

Jason
Jason Scott
Marine Director and Harbour Master

River Hamble Harbour Authority

Wait a second, the right decision, a thoughtful Harbourmaster who listens to his stakeholders, a clear well-written email.

Well I never! (y)

Last edited:

Hot Property

Visit site
This just hit my inbox:-

Everyone

Following our recent consultation and in the light of comments made by respondents and the depth of feeling expressed against this proposal around the River, The Crown Estate has concluded that it cannot agree to this proposal given it would otherwise result in ‘detriment to its operations on the River Hamble and to the interests of its berthing holders both immediately affected and more broadly on the River’. The Crown Estate has said it remains open to exploring alternative schemes that would not adversely affect The Crown Estate’s mid-stream moorings.

I have spoken to or corresponded with every one of the 200 people to whom this message is sent and know that this has caused considerable anxiety. Thank you all for taking the time to write in.

Keep well and best wishes for the remainder of this challenging year.

Jason
Jason Scott
Marine Director and Harbour Master

River Hamble Harbour Authority

Me too, that's cheered me up no end!!

_Firebird_

Visit site
You should meet him - I first got to chat with him when the kids on the village pontoon were presenting difficulties, and you could immediately see that we were in good hands.

He is a good bloke, and glad the Crown Estate has listened - this time... will see what Universal try and do next, but imagine it will be a case of try, try, and try again until they get what they want.

viago

Visit site
what the op fails to understand is the whole of the the uk's assets are up for sale.

it started during the thatcher regime when we were declared bankrupt and the boe receivers moved in.

the first of them was goldsmith.

sarabande

Visit site
In this case, Viago, it looks as if the Crown Estates has decided that their long term interests in having a good relationship with the "traditional" mooring users triumphs over the commercial interests of a marina.

Whilst chunks of the UK have been sold off, it has never been a fire sale as you suggest. The underlying assets remain with the people - even if soem of those people are nobs.

Babylon

Visit site
it started during the thatcher regime when we were declared bankrupt and the boe receivers moved in.

I recall in the mid-90s walking across a public square in Glasgow: there was a man standing on a soap-box ranting at a few onlookers, as I got closer I recognised him as Arthur Scargill.

The 'regime' that Thatcher replaced (partly for the better, partly for the worse, but urgently necessary at the time) was a situation where the big post-war experiment in letting trades unions run the country by holding it to ransom by the testicles wasn't working.

You're right however about "selling off the family silver" - inasmuch as what was a reasonably good idea at the time (not in the original 1979 manifesto but a later response to the real fact of bankruptcy) hasn't been superseded by a single good new idea since - by any of the political parties!