Underperforming fridge

Venus1

Visit site
My Ozefridge has been excellent, but latley it only draws about half the normal current (about 3A instead of 6A), and doesn’t cool anywhere near as much as it used to.
Is there a likely / common cause for this?
(I have checked the excellent cox engineering site, noting how to monitor frosting on the pipes, and will check this when I can get to the boat next. Just hoping for some forum wisdom..) TIA

superheat6k

Visit site
How old is it - could be the internal valves are worn, but yes the old favourite Short of Gas, in which case search for oily stains indicating wherea leak might have occurrred.

eilerts

Visit site
Try to measure voltage on the +/- pin at control box, both when it is resting and running (I assume it is not very unlike a Danfoss). If there is problems with the power connections, I assume you will see some odd readings. If the volt drops excessively after the pump starts, I guess it is due to a bad connection.
If there was a gas leak I would assume it wold run at normal speed, but not cool. Am I right here, or would it simply run an use less power due to lack of back pressure?

ashtead

Visit site
I suspect a wodge of cash to a regasing engineer will solve your problem. In my experience if you do this in Jersey marina the charge is quite reasonable but on the south coast somewhat dearer. PM me if you are Solent based as I can Give info if you are looking for help.

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
You do not mention Temperature !
Med etc, could be too hot, for your fridge setting ?
After all, they only say, 10 deg C, less than the outside temperature !
So, if its 30 deg C, or more, outside, then your fridge, could be... a dead parrot !

Daverw

Visit site
Outside temp unlikely to be the issue with a compressor system, just think of your fridge/ freezer at home

Venus1

Visit site
Thanks for replies - that’s what I needed :)
So it’s likely needs re-gas (after locating the leak) - but will take heed of other possibilities mentioned.

Follow Up Question: is it critical to use oil-free gas for these small systems, as I have read somewhere?

Daverw

Visit site
If the oil in the system is not compatible with the oil in the charging bottle it should not be used, but many do. The risk is it can react, wax up and also cause seals to leak more, which is likely where the original leak is. The charging bottles on eBay are normally for car AC units and use a PAG oil, The gas we as refrigeration engineers use is oil free so it can be used in any. The oil does not sit in a sump like an engine but flows round in the gas.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
My Ozefridge has been excellent, but latley it only draws about half the normal current (about 3A instead of 6A), and doesn’t cool anywhere near as much as it used to.
Is there a likely / common cause for this?
(I have checked the excellent cox engineering site, noting how to monitor frosting on the pipes, and will check this when I can get to the boat next. Just hoping for some forum wisdom..) TIA
When I had a similar problem with my boat fridge all the symptoms and checks pointed to reduced refrigerant. It was 15 years old. The refrigeration engineer told me that I may be wasting my money paying him to fix it. Finding the leak takes time and may not be successful. If he shoukd find the leak, fixing it takes time and may not be possible due to its location. There is no point re-gassing until you have found the leak and reliably fixed it. He told me to go find another one to buy.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk