UK residential moorings are tidal?

jj42

Visit site
Hi,

I've been investigating liveaboard moorings in Southern England, it seems like almost all residential moorings are tidal, meaning they dry out at low tide, so more suited to large, steel barges that are rarely moved. The only exceptions I've seen are inland marinas for canal boats.

Here I mean officially residential moorings, ones which you can have as your registered address, pay council tax etc, not just marinas which tolerate frequent occupation of a boat.

I was curious if there is some historical or legal reason for this?

Lucy52

Visit site
Possibly due to the value of the land. Land with full tide access might have better uses and therefor be of more value for the local community. Part tide marinas are quite a bit cheaper than full tidal ones.

V1701

Visit site
I think most of us on here are itinerent wanderers or marina dwellers so maybe not the best people to ask. I do know that a residential mooring must have planning permission...

ibbo

Visit site
You can pay council tax at pretty much any marina if you wish to do so. It doesn't help with banking etc though, just give you an additional bill to pay.

ibbo

Visit site
No good reason that I can see. You are already paying for rubbish collection etc.

Maybe if you needed help from the govt for benefits you would have to?

Here I mean officially residential moorings, ones which you can have as your registered address, pay council tax etc, not just marinas which tolerate frequent occupation of a boat.

ryanroberts

Visit site
There are a few residential inland moorings, they can suffer from ..gentrification effects. Part of the regeneration of east Manchester involved the construction of a marina / water park. Originally sited next to a methadone clinic in one of the worst areas in Manchester I left after 2 weeks after it was obvious what was going to happen when it was fully open, I have been subjected to a ridiculous amount of violent crime so have pretty good scum detection radar.

The marina residents put up with all sorts of awful behaviour for 6 years - boats being torched, needles everywhere, weekly muggings and constant low level antisocial behaviour.

Ancoats New Islington Marina Failing Manchester

They finally completed most of the development about 2-3 years ago, and the marina is now surrounded by 'luxury' flats, sourdough focaccia bakeries etc and the landlubbers want the boats gone due to the chimney smoke / being dirty hippies etc. Facilities not being maintained, attempts to clear the marina for 18 months (while also requiring people to re-apply for their contracts..) to fix a leak despite narrowboat being well able to dry out.

Planning system is screwed, hopefully the recently announced review might do something about ridiculous strict zoning for leisure / residential.