Ugly or what?

Is this the dream boat that you would hire?

• Yes, beautiful.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • No, Ugly

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • As long as it sails I don't care

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I was referring to the boat in the picture and video immediately ahead of your post - the Micro 650!

The Jeanneau has the fashionable Dreadnaught bow shape - and presumably Sunsail know their client base and assume they like modern looking boats, not old looking boats?
As someone who has spent many 1000's on Sunsail flotillas and bareboat holidays, and been extremely satisfied with the offering, I'd say that's spot on. If a bit on the small side for two couples; 45 is the sweet spot. Everything about these moden yachts suits that use case perfectly. If you're after a trad, transatlantic, long-keel, sweet sailing experience, forget it. But as a Med or Caribbean holiday base / sailing apartment, perfect.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
The Jeanneau has the fashionable Dreadnaught bow shape - and presumably Sunsail know their client base and assume they like modern looking boats, not old looking boats?
Anyone would think you don't buy into the usual assumption about Sunsail clients! (I was one myself decades ago, not to mention of Sunsail's predecessor companies...)

Railbob

Visit site
I had a couple of hours on one in early March. The weather was miserable, cold, windy and wet. It’s a contemporary design from a leading manufacturer. Seems in line with today’s trends. Nice below deck.
This^
Most manufacturers are constantly looking at what the customer is looking for in a boat, be it a light interior or the latest in sound systems, they have to move with the times or be left behind. I think that sailing is to be enjoyed not endured And if it means a few home comforts onboard then that’s my choice. Of course there’s certainly a market for boats that have less amenities but go a heck of a lot quicker but each to their own and everyone gets a lot of fun sailing in their own way.

phatcat1

Visit site
As an owner of a Jeanneau 409 (the previous model), with a plumb bow, all I can say is that I like the look of it. Its modern, stylish, easy to maintain, great to sail. The 410 is a huge leap forward in boat design and has may new features that will no doubt be copied and added to other manufacturers offers in the near future. BTW, it looks a lot better in the water than in a cradle.

I for one don't want to spend my weekends rubbing, filling, varnishing, repairing and drying a traditional boat. I don't have time, inclination or money to throw at something "traditional" with the smell of east coast mud creeping from the anchor locker hatch down below. I admire the lines and looks of traditional designs and the workmanship and history, but I don't want to sleep in a dark and gloomy pipe cot or quarter berth - been there and done that!

Jeanneau have been fantastic and really looked after us and the boat. I love the 409 and how it sails and where we go in it and the sheer amount of storage we have. Modern boats are built on modern production lines and anyone in business knows how the design will effect process, so there has to be a compromise - and ALL boats are a compromise!

I know this will upset all the "traditional" "old" "behind-the-times" "fuddy-duddy" "cardigan-wearing" modern plastic boat haters - but welcome to now! Some of us like to embrace technology, comfort and efficiency and get a little more boat for our money and I'm sorry if you don't like the look of it. We all have our own tastes and priorities.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I saw this brand new Sunsail Boat today along with some of her sisters already in the water. I wonder what you think of the aesthetics? It does not show well in the photo but it has a reverse bow.

Poll above
View attachment 93671

Reminds me of a comment by a BA pilot to Stornoway on the Short 360 I was due to take to Benbecula: "It'll be a nice-looking aircraft ... if they ever take it out of the box.

That's cute. It's like an updated Fairey Duckling.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
Off topic but what is the story with the 'gate guardian' boat marooned just by the turn off the A27?

Is that the red one as you turn into Port Solent? If so then it's one that blew off its moorings earlier this year (we did a video of it being lashed in the storms - to find out that it had dragged/lost the mooring later that same day).

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Which raises an interesting question: where do Sunsail clients get their aesthetic of boats from? In other words, what makes them think that one is "modern looking"?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I know this will upset all the "traditional" "old" "behind-the-times" "fuddy-duddy" "cardigan-wearing" modern plastic boat haters - but welcome to now! Some of us like to embrace technology, comfort and efficiency and get a little more boat for our money and I'm sorry if you don't like the look of it. We all have our own tastes and priorities.
Plus, of course, you don't have to see it when you're on it.

asteven221

Visit site
I think new boats from all usual major builders look better than their old boats. They just seem better designed. I love the looks of classic old designs such as the J Class yachts and similar shaped yachts, which are simply stunning. I love looking at pristine old wooden boats. But the production boats built from the 60's to the 00's ? variable is what I would say! If they were all brand new, I would still take a new 2020 yacht any day.

All hypothetical of course as it's not going to happen!!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Is that the red one as you turn into Port Solent? If so then it's one that blew off its moorings earlier this year (we did a video of it being lashed in the storms - to find out that it had dragged/lost the mooring later that same day).

That's the one, now has graffiti on the anti-foul. I guess the owner hasn't been able to arrange for its recovery.

nicho

Visit site
This is more my type of thing:

Velsheda.JPG
And perhaps your kind of budget....but not mine!

Rappey

Visit site
The rustler 36 is one boat that has stood the test of time and still being built today .
Can't think of any others but am sure there must be ?