UFO 34's in the 1979 Fastnet Race

Ilenart

Visit site
with the help of the rorc results (thanks youan) I am fairly sure the two missing UFO 34's are Cosmic Dancer II and
Quixote. If anyone knows how these two yachts went in the 1979 Fastnet would appreciate the info (both listed as RETIRED).

Ilenart

Mud Lark

Visit site
I just stumbled across this thread so thought I'd register for the forum and post what I know...

Phil Eyre's Fiorinda was one of the UFO 34s in the '79 Fastnet.
I'm pretty sure it was the last Fastnet entry from our club (Ribble Cruising Club).

Phil built the boat himself from a Colvic moulding, and had quite a bit of success round the Irish Sea in the late seventies.

IIRC his tactic was to lie ahull during the worst of the storm and then retired to an Irish harbour.

The boat was quite recognisable at the time as she had one large winch, centrally mounted aft of the cockpit, for the genoa sheets. Dark blue topsides.

She was sold mid-eighties and I've not heard of her since.

jvdli

Visit site
Good evening IIenart,
Jean (B) bought the SANDETTIE, refitted her and rounded the Atlantic singlehanded ...
Super experience, she lies in Fuerteventura now where I'm domiciliated.
Some more info...
The SANDETTIE did 2 more Fastnets and was 2nd of her class in '81 with the same skipper, Jan Krijgsman (NL) and his team french team.
Have pictures of the SANDETTIE in Penzance dock near others survivers as the ARIADNE !
UFORUS sank after a hit with a cargo in the Biscay bay.
You can find me on FB
Jean Van der Linden

jvdli

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Trying to find information about two UFO 34 yachts that competed in the infamous 1979 Fastnet race. I understand that six UFO 34's participated

Black Arrow - finished 1st in Class 4
Mahuri - finished 3rd in Class 4
Kamisado - retired
Sandettie - retired
?????? - retired
?????? - retired

Does anyone know the names of the other two yachts?

Ilenart
No, sorry, must look after that... but mine is the SANDETTIE, ordered and skipped by Jan Krijgsman (NL) under french flag.
Found her standing dry 10 years in Navy Service south of France, rebuild it completely for singlehanded sailing and circumnavigated solo on the Atlantic... uncredible boat...
Now in the Canary's and soon back to Cape Verde... visiting the islands...

kof

Visit site
Never sailed a UFO in the Fastnet but did sail one in the 70's from Dun Laoghaire. Think it was called "UFO" - lost our stick off Bardsey Island in a race but can't remember the year.

Old Harry

Visit site
Never sailed a UFO in the Fastnet but did sail one in the 70's from Dun Laoghaire. Think it was called "UFO" - lost our stick off Bardsey Island in a race but can't remember the year.
Wasnt UFO the prototype UFO 34

jvdli

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Trying to find information about two UFO 34 yachts that competed in the infamous 1979 Fastnet race. I understand that six UFO 34's participated

Black Arrow - finished 1st in Class 4
Mahuri - finished 3rd in Class 4
Kamisado - retired
Sandettie - retired
?????? - retired
?????? - retired

Does anyone know the names of the other two yachts?

Ilenart
Good afternoon, I own the SANDETTIE in her original shape sindse a while and am working on it now in the Canaries after rounding the Atlantic singlehanded.

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_120527720.jpg
    IMG_20200723_120527720.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 23