U bolts and aluminium window frames

adamstjohn

Visit site
Morning all.

Hope well.

Anyone know who does a 'cranked' shroud u bolt? I have a friend with a large press who will crank straight ones , however if available off the shelf.... Thanks

Window frames, old aluminium type - has anybody managed to find replacement ones? would love to go SS but would, i believe, be cost prohibitive, 2 of ours are very corroded, the outside part of the frame is in 2 halves type if that makes sense. There may be parts available but cannot identify manufacturer.

thanks in advance

Plum

Visit site
Morning all.

Hope well.

Anyone know who does a 'cranked' shroud u bolt? I have a friend with a large press who will crank straight ones , however if available off the shelf.... Thanks

Window frames, old aluminium type - has anybody managed to find replacement ones? would love to go SS but would, i believe, be cost prohibitive, 2 of ours are very corroded, the outside part of the frame is in 2 halves type if that makes sense. There may be parts available but cannot identify manufacturer.

thanks in advance
Regarding U-bolts U Bolt Angled Head | Stainless Steel | Steelgear and click on "select option" to choose angle.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

adamstjohn

Visit site
What boat is it?
Cranked for Contessa 32 here U bolt - scroll down to near the end. (probably cheaper elsewhere)
I got my new windows from here South East Marine Windows as they had templates for the Contessa.
Is there an owners association that will have a recommendation?

brilliant , thanks for reply, its an odd boat, the bastard son of the elizabethan 30, a Hummingbird 30, david thomas designed it to have better accommodation below. i will take a look.

Coincidentally, have just spoken to south east re windows - we shall see.

many thanks

doug748

Visit site
As ansarkit has said kit supplied by a boatbuilder is always going to be a premium price. Old boats tend to have odd sizes and I could not find just what I wanted so had four made up by a stainless fabricator. Cost 40 quid each but the alternative would be re drilling the deck which I was keen to avoid.

adamstjohn

Visit site
As ansarkit has said kit supplied by a boatbuilder is always going to be a premium price. Old boats tend to have odd sizes and I could not find just what I wanted so had four made up by a stainless fabricator. Cost 40 quid each but the alternative would be re drilling the deck which I was keen to avoid.

Thanks for reply Doug, these do seem to be a very weird size, i have 6 to replace,

approx 65 mm across
160mm long of which 70mm is thread length
12mm diameter material
10 mm thread

like you, i dont want to redrill the deck.

Does anybody with experience of these know if they are available at all in this size, i am unable to locate these.
If not i will have to get made.

thanks in advance.

adam

Stemar

Visit site
Jissel's windows had h section frames that were well past their best and I never could get them to stop leaking, so I cut off the ¬ bit to leave an l and got Perspex to fit the outside of the frames. The frames were badly corroded, so I ground out the corrosion with a "Dremel" and filled the holes with plastic metal. Finally, I used a silver grey rattle can spray paint to make it lok OK

I then drilled through the Perspex and bolted through the frame, which is now a decorative trim, some neoprene tape, Perspex, butyl tape, the cabin side, and some thin ply trim. It looked good and stopped the leaks.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for reply Doug, these do seem to be a very weird size, i have 6 to replace,

approx 65 mm across
160mm long of which 70mm is thread length
12mm diameter material
10 mm thread

like you, i dont want to redrill the deck.

Does anybody with experience of these know if they are available at all in this size, i am unable to locate these.
If not i will have to get made.

thanks in advance.

adam
They would have been custom made originally (and probably imperial). Don't think anybody makes cranked ones as standard because almost by definition the angle is specific to the application.

adamstjohn

Visit site
They would have been custom made originally (and probably imperial). Don't think anybody makes cranked ones as standard because almost by definition the angle is specific to the application.
YUP, THINK YOU ARE RIGHT THERE, HAVE SPOKEN TO A MANUFACTURER WHO ARE QUOTING FOR THEM TO BE MADE, HERES HOPING I DONT HAVE TO SELL BOTH KIDNEYS, I CAN MAKE DO WITH JUST THE ONE I BELIEVE......TEE HEE

adamstjohn

Visit site
Jissel's windows had h section frames that were well past their best and I never could get them to stop leaking, so I cut off the ¬ bit to leave an l and got Perspex to fit the outside of the frames. The frames were badly corroded, so I ground out the corrosion with a "Dremel" and filled the holes with plastic metal. Finally, I used a silver grey rattle can spray paint to make it lok OK

I then drilled through the Perspex and bolted through the frame, which is now a decorative trim, some neoprene tape, Perspex, butyl tape, the cabin side, and some thin ply trim. It looked good and stopped the leaks.

Window frame sorted thanks, having a new one made by a very nice man in Burnham.

Tranona

Visit site
YUP, THINK YOU ARE RIGHT THERE, HAVE SPOKEN TO A MANUFACTURER WHO ARE QUOTING FOR THEM TO BE MADE, HERES HOPING I DONT HAVE TO SELL BOTH KIDNEYS, I CAN MAKE DO WITH JUST THE ONE I BELIEVE......TEE HEE
Yes, you can live easily on one kidney, and if that gets no good like mine you can then live on somebody else's - courtesy of the NHS (and the donor of course). Not that I would wish that on anybody but I am very grateful.

adamstjohn

Visit site
Yes, you can live easily on one kidney, and if that gets no good like mine you can then live on somebody else's - courtesy of the NHS (and the donor of course). Not that I would wish that on anybody but I am very grateful.
Oh god, sorry Tranona, hope i didnt offend.. apologies if i did so. Its a turn of phrase that if you think about (which i clearly havnt till now) is not very fitting and has quite sinister undertones.
I would be grateful too, it must be an amazing feeling being the recipient, the gift of life almost eh. I have carried a donor card for years, its sort of the last use our bodies have, that and medical use, when we shuffle off this mortal coil. Take good care.

Tranona

Visit site
Oh god, sorry Tranona, hope i didnt offend.. apologies if i did so. Its a turn of phrase that if you think about (which i clearly havnt till now) is not very fitting and has quite sinister undertones.
I would be grateful too, it must be an amazing feeling being the recipient, the gift of life almost eh. I have carried a donor card for years, its sort of the last use our bodies have, that and medical use, when we shuffle off this mortal coil. Take good care.
No offence taken. Kidneys are strange things as we start with 2 but really only need one. Good because they can decay without one knowing. I am lucky in a way that my problem was hereditary so I was monitored most of my life so managed the slow decline until out of the blue the big C got me and had one removed - inevitably the better one. Transplanted one is better than my 2 dodgy ones - 5 years with it now. It will outlast me as it is 30 years younger but unfortunately it is "single use only" being a mixture of me and the donor so can't be passed on.

The "selling" does strike a chord though because I spent a lot of time in China and was once offered one there - for a price!