Two wires into a crimp connector?

wot

Visit site
Rather than rely on my memory, I have this lunchtime, popped into HMS Sultan (Home to the RN Aircraft Engineering & Survival Equipment School) to talk to the Instructor who teaches Aircraft Wiring. His answers to the question were:

Q. Is twisting of the cable allowed?
A. Only to restore the lay of the conductor if disturbed during the removal of the insulation.

Q. Can/should you place more than one cable into a crimp?
A. No.

Q. Should cable ends be tinned before crimping?
A. No. the crimping process is designed to deform the conductors to give a mechanical and electrical connection. Tinning the connectors would mean the crimping tool would be attempting to deform a solid mass, rather than the stranded conductors it is designed to deform.

Q. Have RN techs ever been trained to tin connectors before crimping?
A. No. Never.

Whilst I understand that the above applies to the standard I was taught for use on Military Aircraft, that is the standard which I try to apply as far as is practicable, whenever carrying out any wiring. I do this because it is an approach which gives me confidence that the connections will work correctly.:)

On your boat/yacht/car/bicycle/whatever apply the standard that you feel meets your requirements. There are after all lots to chose from!

Blowing:
You're correct, not all crimps are equal. Whichever make of crimp you do chose (& there are better ones available than those from Halfords), please ensure that you use a decent ratchet crimping tool.

Grumpy:
There is agreement. Please read the technical literature from AMP and other crimping solution maufacturers.

Danforth - Only because it came with the yacht and I've never had chance/need to deploy it yet.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I shall simply say that my experience and that of your instructor differs as I have stood alongside them as they did it. However this is all getting rather silly and you are unlikely to die because of a tinned or un-tinned connection on a yacht so I will get on with my life and worry about other things.