Two Starting Locations?

Jacarah

Visit site
I am exploring the idea of a dual location start for Jester 2008.

For competitors (I don't know how many) from along the Irish Sea coasts of the UK and Ireland - it is quite a journey to Plymouth singlehanded. I've done it about 8 times (3 days hard work every time) and it's a miserable experience. Its also probably the most dangerous part of the Azores trip.

Having to get to Plymouth for a deadline could mean having to take on Lands End in very nasty conditions - along with the Lizard. By the time you get to Plymouth you're ready for a refit! It also adds considerably to the cost and time for some. For example, it can mean having to leave a boat in a marina and return home - depending on personal circumstances - until closer to the start day - just to make sure the boat is in position. You can't hop down harbours or marinas in this area - they are few and very far between.

Competitors in the Irish Sea could start at an agreed time or cross an imaginary line (the latitude of Lundy would cover almost all Irish Sea and western Irish coast ports) at an agreed time. They would first have informed the organisers of their plan and that they had started thus. It would make life a bit simpler for some. Any westerly advantage is offset by the extra time. But those with handicapping skills could work this out better than I.

An Irish Sea meet-up early in the new year could be organised to help co-ordinate the facility were it to be adopted. Just a thought.

Fascadale

Visit site
Interesting.

Any suggestions for boats based on the Forth ?

I envisage the passage down to Plymouth as being part of the final preparation, testing, and not necessarily a passage to be made non stop and single handed. I'm quite looking forward to that part of the project.

Equally whilst the Jester is organisationally barely an event I am looking forward to the 'Buzz" of the start and the pre start period.

Nevertheless if Glayva can successfully complete one year's event in a different year, I don't see why you shouldn't start another year's event in a different place.

Seems jesterish sense to me.

Cheers

helixkimara

Visit site
I am of a similar opinion. Having to sail from Blyth (North of Newcastle) will need to give at least 2 weeks to make sure I get to Plymouth and carry out any modifications. This is part of the event and adventure for me taken "on board" when enrolled. we would take a further time (2 weeks ish) to get back to our home port (adding a Month to the event) where some Skippers are home before reaching Plymouth.

I hope we can all set off together (and not too late in the day so we don't have to play dodgems as night falls)

G

Multiple Starting Points?? Bad News IMO...........I don't do humble ones! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Noddy

Visit site
No I don't like the idea of multiple starts either.

I'm also planning to use the passage from the East Coast to Plymouth to work out any bugs. And there will be bugs.

When I stop to think about it, I realise that I am only undertaking this whole terrifying challenge for the pre start party!

If you are worried about getting to Plymouth by a deadline then leave home earlier! If you are late it is OK to start anyway.

Isn't it something of a tradition to start from Plymouth??

helixkimara

Visit site
Hey Noddy, my pre-start party is in April as I get First Class sea sickness even with a mild hangover. : /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (and thats in the bath) and No my boat isn't a bath tub with the plug welded in.

G

Many months ago I contacted Ewen to canvas his views on an alternative finishing point in view of the increased security measures then being introduced by the US government - my thinking was to finish just a few miles further north at the first convenient Canadian port, with the distance sailed being virtually identical, for anyone troubled by the developing political situation.

Ewen replied that he was, "... not sure that we are, yet, (we have only run one Challenge) ready to split the race and have two destinations! It is, after all, commemorating the origins which was to the USA.".

I assume that the same view would hold re: multiple starting points.

Thought - if I sailed across the Atlantic from anywhere but Plymouth, and landed anywhere but Newport, and did so 2 years before or after everybody else ... would I still be competing in the Jester Challenge ?
Maybe there's a need to draw some lines in the sand somewhere, else we'd have a 'Humpty-Dumpty' situation, where the "Jester Challenge" would cease to mean anything tangible ...

Colin

Noddy

Visit site
Lines in the sand!
Lines in the sand!

How very dare you! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My understanding is that the JC is about reliving the spirit of Jester with regard to the early OSTARs etc. If you lose that link by altering anything, you lose what is meaningful about the JC.

I would also question whether it is in our gift to impose or alter rules / conditions / guidelines

I know this is the rules argument again so I'll shut up now.... But I am bursting to enter into a diatribe around the psychological issues that compell us to impose rules... But I won't..... Not now anyway.

G

Hmmmmmmm, Yeah! I would be fascinated to hear it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just by way of kicking it off, how about............

Rules create boundries and boundries make people feel safe and comfortable? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I know, crap innit! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

helixkimara

Visit site
There is no argument or room for discussion. Rules are absolutely essential. What of a society that is allowed to manipulate the rules to individual needs. The birth of a good rule being a fascinating evolution of purely logic thought. Problem-suggestion-discussion-argument-battle-creation of a leader(s) –birth of rule. The rule breaker being the deviant, outsider, criminal.

My brother “Cutthroat Sewerfart the Pirate” IS a deviant, outsider (not a criminal yet) say’s

“Never ,ever, bloody anything EVER cos who’ll care in a hundred years”

See what can happen !

Noddy

Visit site
I would but Smiffy100 has pretty much nailed it. All those years at bloody university and someone sums it up in a one liner. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I was going to go off into some psychobbabble about -
"As humans we abhorr uncertainty. It seems to tie in to the fear of death, meaninglessness etc."

But there doesn't seem to be much point now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My real problem with rules is that they are often an indicator of fear or habit driven thinking, neither of which are very desirable (Of course I am never guilty of this type of thinking)

Yours
Paul
AKA "Oh dear! I seem to have lost my Thunder"

G

Ah there then /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Real sorry Paul, and there's me never bin to University, just a poor old Cabinet Maker / Joiner by trade, left school at 15 (cue heart rending violins).......Never 'ad much edumacation really.

Bit of a lie though, Cos I been to the best University there is........

The University of Life.

Now don't you dare call me a smug old barsteward! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PS. Sorry about nickin' ya thunder /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
left school at 15

[/ QUOTE ]

Woz that 1915 or 1815?

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are heading for a BALLISTIC phone call pugwash,

On second thoughts, I'll just get your dearly beloved to slap you about a bit.............

Naaaaaaaaa, on third thoughts, ya'd only enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
That might justify a thread by itself, too bad I didn't!

My opinon on what is a Jester Challenger:

A Jester challenger is someone that feels himself a Jester Challenger and is considered by the other Jester Challengers as one of the gang.

Single entry, single destination, on the starting line, first, arriving, one year "late", less than 30', Junk ridge, expensive boat, GPS, EPIRB... two or three buckets are details.

That is the pleasure of "non rule". The important thing is the spirit. You can't rule it. It is difficult to accept that in our overstructured and overregulated world.

So, keep simple.

That is only my oppinion.
Eric

G

I wonder what Hasler & Co. would do if they were around today ? What we now call the Jester Challenge was once the conception of a bunch of mavericks who set 'em-selves a novel and ambitious goal. Then, given the passage of time, an event originally conceived for and by mavericks has become frozen into the sailing establishment's calendar. (Sorta similar process to how Mick Jagger came to be given a knighthood ...)

The Jester Challenge is based on an historical event, and is in part a tribute to the original concept and the guys who were behind it, and if it don't fit-in well with the needs, requirements or ambitions of present-day mavericks, then let 'em simply dream up a contemporary event ... Plenty of starting and finishing places to choose from. Ain't the Azores thingy an example of this ?

Colin

G

I think that in the minds of some people "The Jester" has a certain kudos? I also think that there are those that would sooner bend it to their will than try to organise another event.

personally, I hope they never succeed. "The Jester" is unique, and I would like to see it kept that way.