TV and Film

PCUK

Visit site
As there is no dedicated TV and Film section I thought I would post something here.
Das Boot.
I never saw it in the eighties so when it appeared on Now TV I made sure to watch it. Absolutely brilliant story and atmosphere. Then in about the fourth episode Kevin Mcnally appeared as a US Senator. Not as a young man but as he is now. So I thought this can't be right and Googled Das Boot, only to find it was a new series made last year by Sky based on the follow up book that I can't find the title of. Anyway, it is a totally new story set nine months after the first series. So if you saw it advertised and thought I've seen that years ago, then you might be pleasantly surprised. All gripping stuff throughout and extended to include land based action involving the resistance. Highly recommended.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
An interesting short film can be found on the BFI player for free, 'Shipshape' a 1947 film promoting the RNLI filmed using the Shoreham Lifeboat, directed by Cardiff born Paul Dickson.

Perrycas

Visit site
The original Das Boot is the greatest war film ever made. Best in German with subtitles.
The book is also great.
Agreed, its very good. Though ultimates are very difficult, more recently for that title I thought that the series 'Generation Kill' was pretty good.
I also watched the Das Boot Directors Cut, which is yet another example of why editors are so important. I couldn't, at the end of it figure what had been added, just more depth charges and leaking pipes is all I could make.

Poignard

Visit site
The original Das Boot film is superb. I had previously read the book and that was also an outstanding read.

I'm not sure whether I'd say it is the best war film ever. I think 'The Cruel Sea' would take some beating. That also came after a good book..

st599

Visit site
As there is no dedicated TV and Film section I thought I would post something here.
Das Boot.
I never saw it in the eighties so when it appeared on Now TV I made sure to watch it. Absolutely brilliant story and atmosphere. Then in about the fourth episode Kevin Mcnally appeared as a US Senator. Not as a young man but as he is now. So I thought this can't be right and Googled Das Boot, only to find it was a new series made last year by Sky based on the follow up book that I can't find the title of. Anyway, it is a totally new story set nine months after the first series. So if you saw it advertised and thought I've seen that years ago, then you might be pleasantly surprised. All gripping stuff throughout and extended to include land based action involving the resistance. Highly recommended.
Die Festung is the second book, the TV series was made by Sky Deutschland and Bavaria Film.

Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter is similar and well worth a watch (title badly translated to Generation War in the UK)

Poignard

Visit site
In a similar vein, "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque is a good novel although I haven't seen the film.

Another excellent war novel, "A Covenant with Death" by John Harris; based on the experiences of a typical 'Pals brigad
e'

Little Dorrit

Visit site
Das Boot.
I'm not sure why there is not a dedicated forum for media other than books, film, tv, youtube etc. The original Das Boot would be difficult to improve on. I generally don't even bother watching 'cover versions' of great films, I have been disappointed so many times it's not worth the effort.