Trying to register a boat! wth?

BalticLady

Visit site
That's a page beyond your personal log in and so I can't view it. It's very concerning if these are genuinely new requirements for the SSR.

Sorry I realised that after I posted, but yeah, I uploaded the screen shot of things they've asked me for.
I shot them an email this evening and hopefully the come back to me tomorrow saying that there's been a mistake haha.

I called a family friend and he's said there's no way they could expect some of the things they're asking for, so hopefully you're all right.
But, with the mixture of both Brexit and our government, a few hail marys might be in order.

BalticLady

Visit site
This would suggest that tonnage survey, etc. should still not be required for SSR:

Small Ships Register (Part 3)

Perhaps it's a problem with the website, rather than the system, and a call in the morning will rectify the situation. SSR should be your solution and should only cost you £35 for five years.

I did read this website a few minuets ago, and yeah hopefully that's what I get emailed tomorrow.

If anyone else is having the same issue, a friend at the marina just came to the boat and told me that you're normally able to skip the page that I am stuck on asking for information.
So it probably is a glitch, should also say that on the page and that these aren't the minimum requirements.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Hello,

First time boat owner.
I am 25, I've not got a lot of money and I don't really know where to start with this.
I'm trying to register my boat to hopefully be able to finally escape the UK. The Gov website is asking me for way more information than I have, saying that the following documents are the bare minimum:

CSR Form 2
Certificate of incorporation
Builders certificate
Certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement
International tonnage certificate (ITC69)
UK Radio Licence

I have the bill of sail, maybe a CSR Form, and the radio license... My boat was built in 1978 and all workshops have closed down, where do I even start to look for a builders certificate? I have a two surveys but the weight wasn't ever taken. The thing already costs £159 how much am I going to have to spend on this :(
Surely this process can't be this difficult?

What is your experience with this? It's a "part 1" boat registry, as I want to be away from the UK for longer than 6 months. Has anyone just gone for the "part 2" and tried their luck?
I have the declaration of location and VAT proof of payment- this is the next thing and I'm not going to lie to you, I didn't budget for a tonnage survey or the buying of 3 certificates to get another bit of paper.

*Possibly Solved*
If you're having the same issue, I've been told you're normally able to skip the documentation upload page on the Part 3 Registration application. There either having some technical difficulties or something is broken.
I haven't read all the replies, but I got my Part 1 in 2019 and didn't need all these documents.

I'm sure I don't have a builder's certificate and I would guess the certificate of incorporation is only required of companies who are registering their boats. I think I sent a wedge of photocopies - some of them didn't seem like exactly the right document, but the closest thing that had been supplied when I bought the boat.

The tonnage survey is a specific thing and isn't done during a regular survey - really it's just to inspect that the boat exists. I believe this requirement is the principal difference between the part 1 and the part 3 (SSR).

I found the tonnage survey cheapest via the RYA - it cost about £125 I think; you don't have to be a member. You have to send them a cheque (!) and then they contact you (possibly by email?) and give you the surveyor's details; then you arrange with him a mutually convenient time for him to look at the boat.

I agree with your interpretation of the rules (as I read them at the time) that part 1 is necessary if you're cruising outside of the UK longterm - after your first year outside the UK, you are no longer resident. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't enforced, but I thought part 1 the "right" thing to do.

nortada

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but I got my Part 1 in 2019 and didn't need all these documents.

I'm sure I don't have a builder's certificate and I would guess the certificate of incorporation is only required of companies who are registering their boats. I think I sent a wedge of photocopies - some of them didn't seem like exactly the right document, but the closest thing that had been supplied when I bought the boat.

The tonnage survey is a specific thing and isn't done during a regular survey - really it's just to inspect that the boat exists. I believe this requirement is the principal difference between the part 1 and the part 3 (SSR).

I found the tonnage survey cheapest via the RYA - it cost about £125 I think; you don't have to be a member. You have to send them a cheque (!) and then they contact you (possibly by email?) and give you the surveyor's details; then you arrange with him a mutually convenient time for him to look at the boat.

I agree with your interpretation of the rules (as I read them at the time) that part 1 is necessary if you're cruising outside of the UK long-term - after your first year outside the UK, you are no longer resident. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't enforced, but I thought part 1 the "right" thing to do.
Not that I would advocate perusing it but is this true and if so does this means you may no longer be a resident anywhere ❓

If you no longer have residency anywhere, do you have a tax liability anywhere❓

Not sure how you would go about registering yourself as stateless and with whom.

True, if you are no longer resident in the UK, you will be unable to renew your part 3.

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Not that I would advocate perusing it but is this true and if so does this means you may no longer be a resident anywhere ❓

If you no longer have residency anywhere, do you have a tax liability anywhere❓

Not sure how you would go about registering yourself as stateless and will whom.

True, if you are no longer resident in the UK, you will be unable to renew your part 3.
Without elaborating on my personal circumstances, if you're not physically present in the UK for the required number of days then you are indeed not resident for tax purposes. I am assured by someone far more expert than I that it's a "statutory test" - i.e. it's absolutely based on the number of days.

You're automatically non-resident if you spend less than 16 days in the UK. After a few years non-resident you can stay longer in the UK (more days per year) without becoming resident again. If you just google "UK tax residency" there are detailed explanations and a number of flowcharts to determine if you're resident or not.

There's no registry of stateless people - it's just to each government to tax people in their jurisdiction. Only the US and Editrea tax their non-resident citizens, but they can't directly enforce that on an American who lives their whole working life abroad and never returns.

As far as the UK is concerned you are just under no legal obligation to fill out a tax return if you're no longer resident and you can just tell them you're not resident should they ask. The question is whether they believe you and proving it, which is not an avenue I have yet had to explore. HMRC prefer you to fill out a form telling them if you plan to leave the UK, but I don't believe there's a statutory obligation.

The problem with being a tax vagabond is the risk of accidentally falling into the tax remit of another jurisdiction.

Have to run, but the residency qualifications are different for different circumstances - in theory you could be non-resident for tax purposes, but resident for other purposes.

wwalsh

Visit site
Probably not relevant documents for Part I
CSR Form 2 (For yachts over 500gt)
Certificate of incorporation (For yachts owned by a company)
Builders certificate (For new yachts only)
International tonnage certificate (ITC69) (For yachts over 24m length)