Trip to Amsterdam

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighlandDave

Visit site
Hi all.
Im just starting to plan a trip from Lowestoft to Amsterdam for our first major family adventure.
I have all the online charts and paper charts for the Suffolk/Norfolk coast. Have looked online for paper charts for the approaches to Ijmuiden etc but all seem to be dated 2013. Are these the charts to have? (admiralty 125 and 1631) Or the larger scale admiralty 1408 which was updated in 2017? What passage books do you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Ali-alshira

Visit site
You do need a recent chart because the TSS around IJmuiden has changed, and there's another recent windfarm. We use a Dutch one, but Imray C25 gives enough information, as long as it isprinted after about 2015. Actually, the approach is very easy, so don't worry about using one which covers a large area - go for the gap just south of the TSS purple areas marked as the IJmuiden crossing, then head pretty well straight for the entrance, which is easy in just about any conditions. I don't know about 2013 charts - I think there were posts here about the new TSS, so look for them and compare any chartlets in posts to the 2013 chart - it may be OK. Also look out for the windfarm south of the TSS. For books, go for one of the Brian Navin ones published by Imray, but to be honest, we haven't used it much.
A couple of observations - the main traffic is on the Dutch side, before you get to the IJMW buoy, and make sure you are well clear of the De Ruyter gas platform (otherwise they radio you and warn you off - friendly, but boats have been fined for ignoring it). And a third - there are many anchored ships which you may sail close to, but as long as you realise they are anchored, then there is no problem.

It's a very straightforward crossing - we've done it frequently!

TLouth7

Visit site
For Harwich to Ijmuiden in 2015 we used Imray chart C25, and carried C30 (more southern North Sea) in case we ended up diverting further south (especially as Harwich is right on the boundary).

https://www.imray.com/imraycharts.php

Used the North Sea Pilot dated ~1998, but did some googling in advance to make sure we had the right VHF channels.

Pilotage on the Dutch side is not difficult, but don't try to sail through the wind farm(s?). My main observation is that it takes a long time for the land to appear when you think you are closing the coast, and even longer to actually reach it.

Tides will be relevant, but consider which sections you would be happiest doing in the dark.

mickbond

Visit site
Hi we use North Sea Passage Pilot by Brian Navin, have crossed to and from Ipswich this year. It was very, very cold in April but great coming back in August.
If you go south of the De Ruyter gas platform (keep at least 1 mile clear, the guard ship will still probably contact you on the radio) there is another un-manned platform P11E about 8.5 miles further on towards Ijmuiden, go at least 1mile north of this and then north of the windfarm to the entrance channel. The entrance channel is very busy so we kept out of it till almost the breakwater. Both trips and previous crossings in our blog.

johnalison

Visit site
As stated, it is not particularly difficult, but if you are stopping at Ijmuiden, follow the alley round and go as far as you can rather than take the first space you see. The pontoons are very long.

HighlandDave

Visit site
For Harwich to Ijmuiden in 2015 we used Imray chart C25, and carried C30 (more southern North Sea) in case we ended up diverting further south (especially as Harwich is right on the boundary).

https://www.imray.com/imraycharts.php

Used the North Sea Pilot dated ~1998, but did some googling in advance to make sure we had the right VHF channels.

Pilotage on the Dutch side is not difficult, but don't try to sail through the wind farm(s?). My main observation is that it takes a long time for the land to appear when you think you are closing the coast, and even longer to actually reach it.

Tides will be relevant, but consider which sections you would be happiest doing in the dark.

Hi we use North Sea Passage Pilot by Brian Navin, have crossed to and from Ipswich this year. It was very, very cold in April but great coming back in August.
If you go south of the De Ruyter gas platform (keep at least 1 mile clear, the guard ship will still probably contact you on the radio) there is another un-manned platform P11E about 8.5 miles further on towards Ijmuiden, go at least 1mile north of this and then north of the windfarm to the entrance channel. The entrance channel is very busy so we kept out of it till almost the breakwater. Both trips and previous crossings in our blog.

As stated, it is not particularly difficult, but if you are stopping at Ijmuiden, follow the alley round and go as far as you can rather than take the first space you see. The pontoons are very long.

You do need a recent chart because the TSS around IJmuiden has changed, and there's another recent windfarm. We use a Dutch one, but Imray C25 gives enough information, as long as it isprinted after about 2015. Actually, the approach is very easy, so don't worry about using one which covers a large area - go for the gap just south of the TSS purple areas marked as the IJmuiden crossing, then head pretty well straight for the entrance, which is easy in just about any conditions. I don't know about 2013 charts - I think there were posts here about the new TSS, so look for them and compare any chartlets in posts to the 2013 chart - it may be OK. Also look out for the windfarm south of the TSS. For books, go for one of the Brian Navin ones published by Imray, but to be honest, we haven't used it much.
A couple of observations - the main traffic is on the Dutch side, before you get to the IJMW buoy, and make sure you are well clear of the De Ruyter gas platform (otherwise they radio you and warn you off - friendly, but boats have been fined for ignoring it). And a third - there are many anchored ships which you may sail close to, but as long as you realise they are anchored, then there is no problem.

It's a very straightforward crossing - we've done it frequently!

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Much appreciated.

Daverw

Visit site
We are looking at a similar 1st trip as well this coming year, really interested in the advice given so far. Just starting to review what docs we need and the process upon arriving, we’ve never sailed outside UK before.

johnalison

Visit site
We are looking at a similar 1st trip as well this coming year, really interested in the advice given so far. Just starting to review what docs we need and the process upon arriving, we’ve never sailed outside UK before.
My advice would be not to over-prepare. It really isn't very problematic, and although I shouldn't say this, even transgressing some of their regulations is unlikely to lead to trouble. Once there, you won't lose your way even if you navigate by road map. You need the obligatory almanac but I've never been asked to produce it in nearly 40 years. You also need to get ATIS on the VHF, but little else matters. They even have shops over there that sell what you might need.

Ali-alshira

Visit site
Look up on the RYA for definitive list of the docs you need to take. You can download a Schengen form from there, but in practice, when you get to IJmuiden, you can just pick up the right form, fill it in and post it into a box in the marina reception. If or when the police or customs inspect you later on, they will be astounded that you have already filed the Schengen form, which leads me to suspect that no one much bothers! You are supposed to carry the inland waterways regulations with you, if you use the inland waterways. They can be downloaded and kept electronically, but no one ever seems to bother with that either. We have been checked by police or customs quite often - they have never asked about red diesel, but keep receipts just in case. The inspections are very friendly, as long as you are cooperative. We have now got our radio using ATIS, but for several years we radioed happily in the canals without it, and no one queried anything.

Everyone speaks English, you can get almost everything you need as if at home, and you have a lovely area to sail, with cheap and numerous harbours, marinas and anchorages - enjoy!

Boz

Visit site
We've sailed Harwich to Ijmuiden (and back) twice now, ('cos we really like Holland) and Johnalison is right, the worst part is the crossing, which can be tediously uneventful. I like physical way-points the Racon and the De Ruyter gas platform are visible for miles. (Our departure was from North Shipwash)

Because of the shipping, a good AIS receiver is the best extra aid to have on board particularly if you are short handed. I find at my age visualizing course angles and speed is tricky and the CPA and TPA provided by AIS software is really useful in this regard.

Be Bold but Safe, you can't help but enjoy yourselves, even the box berths and locks offer no fear after the first couple :)

Oh and you might find the "Staade Mast Route (Standing mast Route Guide) useful - available in chandlers when you get there or by mail order (internet search), it's in Dutch but straight forward and includes bridge opening times and lock information...

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
Sorry to have hijacked the thread but very useful comments, we have AIS transponder so ticked that box, ATIS sorted ia Ofcom last night. Just now need to book weather and time off work, probably end May so far

HighlandDave

Visit site
Sorry to have hijacked the thread but very useful comments, we have AIS transponder so ticked that box, ATIS sorted ia Ofcom last night. Just now need to book weather and time off work, probably end May so far

Yeah! Get your own "Going to Amsterdam " thread :cool:
But seriously. thanks again for all the replies and information. Hoping to head over end of may as well, the half term holiday before summer.

johnalison

Visit site
Yeah! Get your own "Going to Amsterdam " thread :cool:
But seriously. thanks again for all the replies and information. Hoping to head over end of may as well, the half term holiday before summer.
The best of luck. It will be nice and quiet, but if anything like 2 yrs ago, cold enough to castrate the whole of monkeydom. There is a meteorological oddity about the Netherlands, in that the wind goes round in circles, and it is impossible to cycle downwind.

Visit site
As a matter of interest, what more interesting, inviting and less industrialised ports of call are there for a visit from the E coast? I was distinctly underwhelmed by Amsterdam as a city and the surroundings aren't exactly peaceful or scenic - or am I missing something?
Where might one go for a more bucolic Dutch experience?

TLouth7

Visit site
As a matter of interest, what more interesting, inviting and less industrialised ports of call are there for a visit from the E coast? Where might one go for a more bucolic Dutch experience?

Absolutely the Southern end of the Netherlands (Zeeland). Google Zierikzee, Middelburg, Veerse Meer, Oosterschelde. As a bonus the trip across to Vlissingen or the Roompotsluis is much shorter (at least from Harwich) than to Ijmuiden.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
As a matter of interest, what more interesting, inviting and less industrialised ports of call are there for a visit from the E coast? I was distinctly underwhelmed by Amsterdam as a city and the surroundings aren't exactly peaceful or scenic - or am I missing something?
Where might one go for a more bucolic Dutch experience?

It depends on what you are looking for.
Personal favourites [in order of preference].
south of Amsterdam.
Haarlem, Gouda, Middelburg, Dordrecht, Goes, Zierikzee.
North of Amsterdam.
Sneek, Hoorn, Enkhuizen, Medemblik, Monnickendam [on the right day].
If you must go to Amsterdam, try Durgadam and bike or bus into the city.
There are loads of other delightful spots which we often find by accident.
I'm not sure many people go for the scenery?

johnalison

Visit site
I like Amsterdam. Both the Sixhaven and Aeolus are brilliant and welcoming. Our plan for the Sixhaven is, during the high season, to arrive mid-morning after the main flush of boats has left. Don't be put off by the lack of space. The harbourmaster has a magic spell which will make your boat fit into a hole smaller than the boat. The Aeolus is quieter, but sometimes gets full. There is a superb supermarket round the corner to the east and a perfectly good one the other side. there is also a brewery near the first. Open evenings are lively and they do some weird beers. As well as the usual museums, my favourite is the Tropenmuseum, a short tram ride away, with a superb collection of ethnic stuff, brilliantly displayed.

To my mind, the Netherlands gets better the further north you go. The Ijsselmeer is interesting, but Friesland has real character. I prefer the route through Harlingen to that from Stavoren or Lemmer via Sneek as the canal is quieter. Leeuwarden is an interesting and civilised town, and Dokkum is pleasant but smaller. The Islands are also lovely, but get very busy at weekends. We once did them and back in three weeks from the Blackwater in a Sadler 29.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Closer to home in France if you don't like industrialised towns try Gravelines. Lovely town completely surrounded by a moat. Nice leafy walks around the town walls. Very few tourists. Only issue is you need to arrive and leave close to high tide as the entrance all but dries and if they don't close the marina gates you will settle very comfortably into the mud. Excellent restaurants in the town but avoid the marina restaurant.
I try to catch slack water at North Foreland and then take the flood across the Channel arriving before high water and then get the assist up the River. Leave at High Water and arrive off North Foreland at slack water which allows me to catch the flood up to the Medway, going north you might be better anchoring in Pegwell Bay to wait for the ebb.

I agree with John Alison about teh Netherlands improving the further north you go, particularly the Friesians. The canal from Harlingen to Lauwersoog is delightful. I genrally spend the night at some bucolic stop avoiding the towns although I do like Leuwarden.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I visited Delft on business a few years ago, and rather liked that town - the water front and rivers looked very attractive, and there's a lot of interesting history - Vermeer and Delft Pottery are the big things. The town is also pleasant. What I don't know is whether it can be reached reasonably easily by sea from the East coast - I'd be interested in heading that way if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.