triana 25'/round britain race 69/70 info

G

triana 25\'/round britain race 69/70 info

recently bought a triana 25' , apparently she was built for the 1969 or 1970 round britain race.any information on the class or the race would be very welcome. ta

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by dmjack on Mon Jun 25 21:31:18 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: triana 25\'

The boat you have is a TRIANA TROPICA which was a Renato Levi design. She's 25'9" long by 9' 2" beam (to be pedantic). They were originally fitted with Volvo 170/270 Aquamatics and were capable of about 45 knots. As a matter of interest the hulls were moulded to Lloyds requirements.
She is a classic and sneers at rough weather, you will give in long before the boat will.

©2001

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: triana 25\'

Thanks for your private reply. I am posting here for the benefit of others. IMHO the Triana never caught on because she was extremely expensive toy, the boating equivelent of a Ferrari. You have to understand that in those days there just wasn't the money around as there is today also the boat was in direct competition with Fairey who already had a well established name, superb range and were considerably cheaper. They also produced a larger boat called the Triana Tarantella which was a 33 footer with an aft cabin. The main buyers of your boat tended to be members of the power boat racing set and that was a limited market. The guy that would really clue you in is Ray Bulman of MBY.

©2001

NickT

Visit site
Re: triana 25\'/round britain race 69/70 info

Your boat was built by Triana boats, codean Elms, Wimborne, Dorset. Tel: Wimborne 4600 - whether they are still in bussiness I can't say. As regards the Round Britain race in '69 at least 2 Trianas were entered which formed a two boat team sponsored by Bovril. One suffered an engine failure on the 'round the Isle of Man leg and had to be rescued but subsequently went on to support the other boat which completed the race. Unfortunately I don't know where it finished. The Fairey Owners Club welcome members who own Trianas so you may find more details in this direction. The club can be found at www.faireyownersclub.co.uk