Travel Portugal to UK Restricted

st599

Visit site
From Grant Shapps' Twitter feed:

I’ve taken the urgent decision to BAN ARRIVALS from ARGENTINA, BRAZIL, BOLIVIA, CAPE VERDE, CHILE, COLOMBIA, ECUADOR, FRENCH GUIANA, GUYANA, PANAMA, PARAGUAY, PERU, SURINAME, URUGUAY AND VENEZUELA – from TOMORROW, 15 JAN at 4AM following evidence of a new variant in Brazil.
Travel from PORTUGAL to the UK will also be suspended given its strong travel links with Brazil – acting as another way to reduce the risk of importing infections. However, there is an exemption for hauliers traveling from Portugal (only), to allow transport of essential goods.
This measure does not apply to British and Irish Nationals and third country nationals with residence rights – but passengers returning from these destinations must self-isolate for TEN DAYS along with their households

NOHOH

Visit site
Are we being governed by Twitter now?.........Will people ever stop living entirely on their mobile phones?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
From Grant Shapps' Twitter feed:

I’ve taken the urgent decision to BAN ARRIVALS from ARGENTINA, BRAZIL, BOLIVIA, CAPE VERDE, CHILE, COLOMBIA, ECUADOR, FRENCH GUIANA, GUYANA, PANAMA, PARAGUAY, PERU, SURINAME, URUGUAY AND VENEZUELA – from TOMORROW, 15 JAN at 4AM following evidence of a new variant in Brazil.
Travel from PORTUGAL to the UK will also be suspended given its strong travel links with Brazil – acting as another way to reduce the risk of importing infections. However, there is an exemption for hauliers traveling from Portugal (only), to allow transport of essential goods.
This measure does not apply to British and Irish Nationals and third country nationals with residence rights – but passengers returning from these destinations must self-isolate for TEN DAYS along with their households
It's getting worse isn't it. The whole world is close to total lockdown. I should take inventory of the regfrigerator contents and start a daily menu to see how many days I can hold out before risking the supermarket.

I am beginning to wonder which is worse. A voluntary lockdown like in Sweden where there is big pressure on ones personal integrity or an enforced lockdown in UK where it can be an adventure dodging between the houses to avoid the police. I'm serious. I feel a deep sense of guilt when I choose to go shopping. How do others feel about this I wonder.

Sandy

Visit site
I am beginning to wonder which is worse. A voluntary lockdown like in Sweden where there is big pressure on ones personal integrity or an enforced lockdown in UK where it can be an adventure dodging between the houses to avoid the police. I'm serious. I feel a deep sense of guilt when I choose to go shopping. How do others feel about this I wonder.
Not seen a police officer in years, perhaps you live in another country?

RupertW

Visit site
That is preposterous and exactly how we got Covid widespread in the UK in the first place. Like Australia we should also have forbidden our own citizens to return except in very limited number based on the secure hotels we could hold them in for quarantine. We not only never learn, we have no intention of learning.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Portugal has got its own back - all flights from Portugal to the UK are now cancelled.
- W

I think it was UK who stopped direct flights. Plenty of other routes to get back via other countries but waiting to hear if we'll be lumbered with a hotel bill for a couple of weeks. If that's the case, will just have to enjoy cheap wine and food here for a while longer :cool:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I think it was UK who stopped direct flights. Plenty of other routes to get back via other countries but waiting to hear if we'll be lumbered with a hotel bill for a couple of weeks. If that's the case, will just have to enjoy cheap wine and food here for a while longer :cool:

The UK banned entry to all but UK nationals and residents. Portugal subsequently stopped all flights to the UK, which is a different thing.

I don't think you will find it easy or cheap to get back to the UK at the moment.

- W

jordanbasset

Visit site
Talk that the Government may introduce a measure for those coming from certain countries with a new strain of Covid, including Portugal, of having to self isolate in a Hotel for 10 days, which the returning person pays for
Not sure how it will work as it seems the only way to get back from Portugal is to fly from Spain or get the ferry from Spain/France, so would be difficult to differentiate those coming rom Portugal

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Talk that the Government may introduce a measure for those coming from certain countries with a new strain of Covid, including Portugal, of having to self isolate in a Hotel for 10 days, which the returning person pays for
Not sure how it will work as it seems the only way to get back from Portugal is to fly from Spain or get the ferry from Spain/France, so would be difficult to differentiate those coming rom Portugal

Bit of a joke when UK has more Brazil variant cases than Portugal. We can fly back via several other countries but the contact tracing form, if filled in correctly, will tell them where we've come from. If lies are told and someone caught then there will no doubt be a large fine to add to the hotel bill. If the rules say we can go back without having to pay for hotel then we will, otherwise we'll just stay here and not get the vaccine for a long time.