Transit log in Greece?

G

Could anyone give me any advise on Greek transit logs, and regulations, do I need one? if so what paper work will I need to get one? Insurance, SSR,Bill of sale, will I have to prove VAT is Paid?

I am going out to a new boat (to me) in Gouvia marina Corfu, next week.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hi We had to buy ours in Kalimata . We owned the boat 5 years VAt a bit iffie the police checked all the papers I said that the tax was illegal and I would not pay The Policeman smiled shruded his shoulders. and said tell it to the Judge I Paid !about £73 it lasts about three years Problem is you are supose to check in and out of all port police you visit, that means paying port fees . The way around this is tell them that you anchor off most of the time, to explain the gaps in the log the other thing was I sold the boat the week after ! Cheers Bob t

Bob T

billskip

Visit site
You will need a transit log also another paper to allow you to sail greek waters..all papers cost about £5 per mtr..and if you leave greek waters for more than 30 days you have to pay again..so get transit log stamped each month...insurance is mandatory with the certificate covering personal injury/death, property damage and pollution ..if you buy a boat in greece that is pre 1985 you dont pay vat..post 1985 boats vat should be paid and you will be told all sorts of "ways round it" but bottom line is they can confiscate your boat...your risk..because of "wealth tax " in greece nearly all greek boats ars "a buisness" therefor vat not paid by original owner...advise you get an ssr as many of the ports dont know the system.and dont understand thier own papers you will need bill of sale to get papers...you will also need a crew list book....

Bill
www.aegeansailing.co.uk

www.macsyachting.com

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
Is the boat British registered?
Been in Greece for the last year.(with marina bills to prove it)?
Then you need D.E.P.K.A. at about £20 (good for 50 Ports of call)(Euro29.35).some ports don,t bother.and it can be difficult to get the right person to stamp it.
and 3 year permission to sail in greek waters at about (euro)€5.8 per metre.(this permission applies to Greeks as well.
passport to prove your not greek.(or you need a local tax Number),ssr or part 1 cert.icc,3rd party Insurance(preferably in Greek) and current Marina or yard bill,
Just got my paper work done.But its taken a week, have patience.
If its not European flag then different rules apply.
The RYA has info on its web page.I get updates from C .A. Med net

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
BTW .speak to the live aboards in gouvia as soon as you get there.they will know the local score.have heard no bad reports on corfu ,but argostoli and levkas are getting a bad name ,as another post states, the local officials don,t always know the rules,and will never ever admit when they make a mistake.Nobody in Greece makes a mistake ,its the other guy who is in the wrong,I have worked here for the last 4 years and its a daily occurance.Elswhere its known as sloping shoulders<bg>
Good luck

G

If ever you need to argue with a levantine, even if you are right, never push the other guy into a corner from which he cannot escape with dignity. At such a point he'd kill you rather than admit he is wrong.

But if you leave a way out, you often end up making a friend.

Greek rules change with the weather and are usually interpreted by the limenarcheon according to local whim. There is an appeal against injustice, but it is not worth the bother. Genrally, except in cases of massive VAT fraud, the cost is small. Pay up and smile.

Still I cannot understand how greece is allowed to get away with the byzantine practices that they do. We grumble that the French do not bother with EU rules, but they are amateur bunglers compared with the Greeks.

But it is one of the best cruising grounds in the world, and the ordinary people that you do not do business with are wonderful

William Cooper