Transit along the South Coast: Brighton or Newhaven

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
As I understand it, everything changes on the 4th.

That's what I'm hoping for.
Won't be setting off on the trip till the 6th, so will be looking to transit from Ostend to the UK side of the Channel on the 8th (all going well).

Not sure anything will change for the Channel Islands on the 4th.

E-mail reply I received this morning from the Alderney HM Office (Harbour@alderney.gov.gg):

Good morning,

Thank you for your email, as you are aware we are still unable to accept any visitors from outside the Bailiwick with no dates on when the restrictions will be relaxed. Please keep in touch so that we can provide you with the latest updates.

Regards,

Chief Executive’s Office
States of Alderney

masterofnone

Visit site
Newhaven I have never been.
Is the marina accesible at all states of tide?
And will I remain afloat at all time? Boat draws 2.05m
I am based in Newhaven, last night a Norwegian yacht was on the visitors pontoon. So I assume foreign flagged vessels are welcome. There are however NO facilities. Save for a Takeaway Pizza from Luna Rossa italian restaurant.
The visitors berth and entrance channel are dredged to 6m CD, All Tide/ All Weather. Call 01273513881 to reserve a place.
From here when heading for cherbourg, I have anchored off sandown for the tide to turn, then moved on (wind angle). Newhaven/ Cherbourg . IIRC 98Nm . Newhaven / Sandown 48Nm. Sandown / Cherbourg 70 Nm.
You do not visit Newhaven for its shoreside facilities! It is however the only All tide/ All weather marina between Dover and Portsmouth.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Does the prohibition extend to anchoring perhaps flying a Q Flag?

Not Ideal but you could get to Jersey anchor then it's St Malo or better St Cast and work your way along to the corner could be done in a day easily in two from there your home and dry as they say. Most difficult would be Cherbourg to Jersey but doable.
Sure you have thought it through though, good luck. (y)

V1701

Visit site
I have seen in the last few days two foreign flagged boats at Brighton, one Danish and one Belgian I think, heading for the fuel dock so not sure whether they stayed but they would both have been out in some very windy conditions. I'd also second the suggestion for Newhaven if they're accepting visitors because it's so easy. I think you also should request permission from harbour master to enter, it being a ferry port...

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I am based in Newhaven, last night a Norwegian yacht was on the visitors pontoon. So I assume foreign flagged vessels are welcome. There are however NO facilities. Save for a Takeaway Pizza from Luna Rossa italian restaurant.
The visitors berth and entrance channel are dredged to 6m CD, All Tide/ All Weather. Call 01273513881 to reserve a place.
From here when heading for cherbourg, I have anchored off sandown for the tide to turn, then moved on (wind angle). Newhaven/ Cherbourg . IIRC 98Nm . Newhaven / Sandown 48Nm. Sandown / Cherbourg 70 Nm.
You do not visit Newhaven for its shoreside facilities! It is however the only All tide/ All weather marina between Dover and Portsmouth.

Thank you - most helpful.
I am not after shoreside facilities.
This is a basic delivery cruise to bring the boat home.
As long as I can berth the boat safely in a reasonably sheltered place so I can put my head down for a couple of hours I'm happy.

Refueler

Visit site
Is it still a maze of lobster pots and long lines from Littlehampton eastwards ?

Some years ago - I sold my Snap 23 and agreed to sail it from Langstone to Brighton with new owner ....

The amount of pots and lines was mind numbing !! In fact that combined with little wind - meant a lot more 'motoring' such that we arrived at Brighton literally on fumes in the tank !

peter gibbs

Visit site
I will be transitting West along the South Coast next week.

Whilst there seem to be plenty of marinas/marinas west of the IoW, there are fewer options to the east.

As possible overnight stops between Ramsgate or Dover and the Solent I have identified 3:

- Eastbourne I have discounted: I will be on my own and I don't fancy the lock

- Newhaven I have never been.
Is the marina accesible at all states of tide?
And will I remain afloat at all time? Boat draws 2.05m

- Brighton I stopped by twice before in previous boat (drawing 2.10M)
The first time (2009) I ran aground on my way to my assigned berth.
The second time (2012) I ran aground approaching the reception pontoon.
I have heard plenty of horror stories about the lack of dredging at Brighton.

What's the current situation?
Eastbourne - lock is simple; call lock keeper and put onto wooden pontoon - they have lines ready to use. No hassle. Good harbour and great showers. Loads of eating places - pre-covid. All hours.

Newhaven - all tide marina, put alongside. Harbourmaster not all hours. Be prepared ferry opposite makes terrible racket.Not much by way of eating, relatively undeveloped place but safe.

Brighton - poor depths there, and can be dodgy at LW in entrance. and dangerous in any seaway. Phone ahead for advice. Stay on visitors pontoon close by entrance. .

PWG

ip485

Visit site
Eastbourne

As others have said, safe and easy approach, avoidable only in F6 and above from the SE perhaps. Watch the wreck to the East of the entrance!

If you ask , the lock keeper will almost always send someone down to assist with lines - well worth knowing.

Newhaven

They do do a lot of work on the wind farm, but I have never had a problem with a berth. Phone before to check. As good an entrance as Eastbourne, ok in almost any conditions up to a F7. If you are on the visitors pontoon and the tide is running hard in an out be prepared to be quick with lines. Inner berth are quite well protected from the tides. Very good fresh fish shop, but can be a bit noisy and it is much more a commercial port than the others with a large scrap metal loading wharf opposite the marina. Facilites are pretty no existent, but it has a certain charm especially for a stop.

Brighton

Can be a dreadful entrance in a blow. Lots of bounce back off the walls, and very little protection until you are through the entrance. Is also known for low water in the channel if it hasnt been dredged for a while.

Pretty soleless these days and routing west bound requires going into the bay.

Of all these going East to West Newhaven would be my first choice for a night (or even two), then Eastbourne (closely) and Brighton (far less close).

Fair winds.