Transat bakerly race sailor Richard Tolkien rescued

oldbilbo

Visit site
For self-sufficient sailors who love crossing large oceans in small boats, on a low budget, and usually single-handed

Doesn't qualify as a 'Jester' on any of the aspects that count....

Big boat, big budget, big razzmatazz event.... and multi-millionaire. Oh, and usually NOT single-handed.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I was interested in his head injuries however. I have twice ended up with a scalp wound and concussion and lost the use of an eye on another occasion. I have as a result been experimenting with head guards and or helmets. A normal construction safety helmet with a chin strap is good for deck work, but I found I can't sleep in it. (one of my bleeding concussions occurred when thrown from my bunk over the lee boards during a knock down while I was asleep). I then looked at a kick boxing helmet but because of the cheek protection I was concerned about visibility. I haven't bought it yet but my next experiment is going to be with a full bump cap with a short brim. The short brim so that I can roll over while asleep and the full bump cap as one of bleeding concussions occurred when I hit my head close to the neck on a genoa car during a storm.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Here are a couple of pics, of the 'Jester Village' banner and Ewen S-T's foredeck.....

IMG_4551_zpsc0msip7h.jpg

and most of the Jester skippers ( some starting from elsewhere )....

IMG_4554_zpsbkc15xme.jpg

Here's one showing the Jester Challenge Roundal, which are still available for supporters and family from me...

IMG_4567_zpskg8yqabx.jpg

oldbilbo

Visit site
Thom D'Arcy in 'Fathom', just short of the oceanic drop-off west of Ushant...

I'm currently at 48 29 .7N 7 36.4W

Gusting up to 30 knots with biggish seas. Only a couple of miles NW of Lokum. Last night we were chatting on vhf and he reported he had electrical problems and was debating whether to retire. Also that he had heard a loud bang and now he cant move his hatch (but can crawl underneath it). Understand he is now aiming to continue and Lokum and Lizzie G are hove to waiting for this to pass.

Fathom is going quite nicely with 3 reefs and the staysail set making a cog of around 230deg at 3 knots. All is well onboard.

May not send a sitrep every day just as and when.

Newlyn Maid...

Found a problem with rigging. Explains failure to tack making repairs.

Newlyn Maid sent this message from: Lat 50.178831 Lon -5.029271

Tony Head in 'TripleVenture'...

POSN AT 2000A 17 May 48N45 8W18 Co 270 Spd 4.7 Wind SW 20-25kts

Short SITREP tonight as quite rough and use of laptop difficult!

Slow progress beating into strong SW. Expecting wind to veer to W then I
can make better progress,

Spoke with FREEBIRD (Duncan Scalre) on VHF. His posn at 0730A 48N40 6W55. He
reported all well.

Thanks for various Iridium texts