Trailer paint recommendations

lw395

Visit site
As with almost all paint jobs, the time the finish will last is a direct function of the time, effort and care spent on the preparation stage. Skimp on that and you can look forward to re-doing the job sooner rather than later.

But it's already old and rusty, it may be a matter of pitching the effort right to extend its life by a reasonable amount, getting the best return on cash and effort. A small amount of effort works wonders, at some point diminishing returns set in.
Presumably the OP has a boat that needs time and effort too?

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
That Zinga looks the business! That said, the application guide seems to make a big deal of having the substrate "completely" free of rust. Bashing off the loose stuff and attacking with a wire brush is something I can do, but I won't be able to get all the rust off. Does that matter too much?

Paint with Zinga, but don't overcoat, Zinga needs to be able to breathe (it constantly corrodes like galvanising) If rust starts to come through, just touch up

Cheaper to use a QD phosphate primer, followed by chlorinated rubber, as used for swimming pools, or a Qd plant paint. I recently got 2.5 litres for £5

Avocet

Visit site
But it's already old and rusty, it may be a matter of pitching the effort right to extend its life by a reasonable amount, getting the best return on cash and effort. A small amount of effort works wonders, at some point diminishing returns set in.
Presumably the OP has a boat that needs time and effort too?

That's pretty much exactly it! Trailer is old and made of ridiculously heavy section. I don't mind losing a bit of it to oxidation, but for the sake of not getting myself brown and dusty every time I manhandle it out of the drive, I thought I'd slap something on. Boat / car / house / job / dinghy / kids (not necessarily in that order!) are all much further up the priority list!

Someone on another forum has recommended this stuff:

http://www.aquasteel.co.uk/INFORMATION.htm

Anyone have any experience of it?