Total newbie - Go easy on me!

Allan

Visit site
I agree with all that has been said. For us sailors another thing to remember is that we are not going much faster than the debris. In all my sailing, I've hit nothing major.
Allan

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Okey dokey... don't seem to have received anything though. You can find an email on the blog (in signature link) if that suits better.
Ah, that'll be because I sent it to tatali0n, sorry for the confusion! Now forwarded on to you.

A huge amount of junk comes down the rivers after it rains. Not unusual to see huge tree trunks etc out at sea and you usually see some bits of wood on any journey. What always worries me is you only see this stuff when it's calm or calm-ish, never anything when the sea state is up, but it must still be there somewhere!
Ah, so I'd have to take care if going out on the first high water after a storm or bad weather. Good info :).

Vodzurk, smacking into something hard or sharp is always a worry, so you do have to keep your eyes open and drive at a speed appropriate to the conditions. However, perhaps the more pertinent risk is of all that crap risks getting sucked up into your cooling system, blocking the filter and overheating your engine.
Looking at the video you posted on your blog yesterday, how does visibility work on Calstar? From the helm seat it looks like you can't actually see directly in front of yourself without the odd standing-up... or is it just the positioning of the camera?

In reality though it doesn't cause too much of a problem. The big stuff is easy enough to avoid, though you do have to actively alter course to avoid it sometimes, and the small, filter clogging stuff mostly floats on the surface, or is too big to go up the intake, so making sure you regularly check and clear the filter out as part of your routine maintenance seems to take care of that.
Cheers for the tip... I think once I'm on the water, I'll have to scour through this whole thread and make a list of concerns until they're second nature :).

I agree with all that has been said. For us sailors another thing to remember is that we are not going much faster than the debris. In all my sailing, I've hit nothing major.
Allan
Cheers :). The guys at work have already tried getting me worried about things that aren't likely around our way, such as fallen-overboard cargo containers floating juuuust under the surface... so good to know it's certainly not a common thing :).

tatali0n

www.scapegoatsanon.co.uk
Looking at the video you posted on your blog yesterday, how does visibility work on Calstar? From the helm seat it looks like you can't actually see directly in front of yourself without the odd standing-up... or is it just the positioning of the camera?

Sailing upwind, the boat leans over to about 20 degrees, so if you're sat at the tiller on the higher, windward side, you can naturally see out and ahead over the side of the boat. You do have to be careful about stuff sneaking up on you behind the sails however, as they really do cut down your visibility. But that's true of most sailing vessels, big or small, so you get used to dealing with it.

Sailing downwind, or close manoeuvring under power, in port for example, I usually stand at the tiller so can see out over the coachroof as long as the sprayhood is down. Fail in that, I'll often stand on the cockpit bench, one hand on the tiller, the other hanging onto the backstay (the wire that holds the mast up running from the stern of the boat)

However, although the video clip I posted shows Dad at the helm for a fair bit of it, in practice most of our passage making is done with the auto helm keeping us on course, which leaves me free to take whatever position in the cockpit gives me the best lookout.

The guys at work have already tried getting me worried about things that aren't likely around our way, such as fallen-overboard cargo containers floating juuuust under the surface... so good to know it's certainly not a common thing :).

I don't think I've ever come across a shipping container, but we have bumped a semi-submerged fridge freezer, occasionally have to dodge around renegade gas bottles and once, the mast and rigging of another yacht that had been dismasted in the Holms Race the week previous.

It's not as bad as it sounds however. There is a lot of open water out there, you just have to keep your eyes open and your wits about you :)

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Apologies for yet another question... and not specific to the Bristol Channel...

If looking at a boat just after it's massively pee'd down rain....

1. If an engine compartment has half-height dividers for extra storage port/starboard of the engine... and If there is a couple of litres of water one of those... then the broker explains it as "the canopy cover hasn't been 100% attached over it's rear clips, it needs a new elastic fitting to stretch it to fully cover the starboard transom, don't worry, we supply them and they're cheap". Does this add up?

I would have thought that the cockpit area would have run-offs for any water that leaks through an ill-fitting canopy. For it to somehow bleed into the bilge storage seems potentially concerning to a newbie.

2. Is it standard for old (but seemingly good condition) canopies to spatter the cockpit floor, making it rather slippery? Again, is this safe if left unattended (will it usually run-off)?

3. Starting the boat after the pee-down... and after a few minutes the broker says "ahh, there we go, that sound is the bilge pump kicking into action, so you know it's working". Ummm... is that a good thing??? Does that mean if I left the boat tied up, un-powered for a few weeks that it'd be sunk as water shouldn't be collecting inside?

Last edited:

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Apologies for yet another question... and not specific to the Bristol Channel...

If looking at a boat just after it's massively pee'd down rain....

1. If an engine compartment has half-height dividers for extra storage port/starboard of the engine... and If there is a couple of litres of water one of those... then the broker explains it as "the canopy cover hasn't been 100% attached over it's rear clips, it needs a new elastic fitting to stretch it to fully cover the starboard transom, don't worry, we supply them and they're cheap". Does this add up?

I would have thought that the cockpit area would have run-offs for any water that leaks through an ill-fitting canopy. For it to somehow bleed into the bilge storage seems potentially concerning to a newbie.

2. Is it standard for old (but seemingly good condition) canopies to spatter the cockpit floor, making it rather slippery? Again, is this safe if left unattended (will it usually run-off)?

3. Starting the boat after the pee-down... and after a few minutes the broker says "ahh, there we go, that sound is the bilge pump kicking into action, so you know it's working". Ummm... is that a good thing??? Does that mean if I left the boat tied up, un-powered for a few weeks that it'd be sunk as water shouldn't be collecting inside?

The first thing I'd suggest is re-posting this question on the mobo forum and telling them the make and model of the boat. There is a wealth of experience there and you will certainly get more specific answers. Most of the people on this thread/forum are yotties so we are not so familiar with configurations of motorboats. I'm having a hard time for instance visualising how the water gets from cockpit into engine bay because I know nothing of the layout of either on the average motorboat.

Q1. As far as yachts go, all of them should be built such that surface water (rain or spray) finds its way out of the vessel via drains and not into the bilges. On yachts, for instance, there are specific cockpit drains and anchor locker drains which take care of that. One or two yachts are occasionally built such that water from the anchor locker enters the bilge but that is because they store the chain deep down along the centreline, which is a very specific case. Generally I am a believer that a yacht's bilges should be dry unless she has a keel-stepped mast- another very specific case, in which case some water getting down the mast into the bilge is inevitable.

I can't think why the general principle of keeping surface water out wouldn't apply to Mobos because it would be dangerous for it not to do so. So in the absence of more expert opinion I would say that no, water should not be getting into the engine bay. Did you taste the water (ie assure yourself it's freshwater not salt- and assuming the boat is not kept in fresh water). The upside however is that deck leaks are not unusual in yachts at least- in fact they are more the norm and are usually easily sorted.

If the solution to the problem s an easy adjustment to the tarpaulin/cover why hasn't the broker suggested the owner do it to prevent his boat filling with water, one wonders.

2. Does this mean water is coming through the canvas and onto the cockpit sole below? I can imagine in very heavy rainfall this could happen especially if you prodded at it. I imagine that if the canvas is in good condition the issue is that its proofing has completely worn off. A wash of the canvas followed by reproofing will probably sort the problem. You can pay a lot to do this professionally or use a nail brush, a warm bath and this followed by a spray (outside) with this.

3. I would not be happy to leave my boat collecting surface water, so I would certainly sort the ingress out rather than rely on starting up the bilge pumps (btw, just because the motor starts up doesn't mean they are pumping water out, these things are easily blocked so always check they are actually working). There's nothing that you've told us so far to suggest that this ingress is anything to hold up a sale though, but I would make tracing it and assuring yourself- rather than taking the broker's word for it about how it's getting in- a priority before you buy. You could do this yourself via a second viewing, or leave it to your surveyor if you are happy to proceed. (I would suggest getting a survey on your first boat, even if you are looking at relatively low value, it may well save you a great deal of hassle whether you buy it or not).

Whilst water ingress from deck leaks in not usually a catastrophic problem, occasionally it is, if a boat is left for several months. If you had last month's (Nov 16) PBO you might have seen this article:

Flooded while laid up ashore
Nov 2016 p82-83 (2.00 pages)
View Related Articles
Category: Construction & design / Profile / Seamanship & safety
Author: John and Wendy Culley
Description: Cruising experience: Flooded while ashore
Looking forward to a serene cruising season on the Ionian Sea, John and Wendy Culley were horrified to discover that their boat, securely laid up in a Preveze boatyard, was in fact full of water. All due to rain water leaks. Buy Now: £6.95
Add to Cart

I've recycled my copy now but I seem to recall the result of 2ft of rainwater water in what was believed to be a sound boat all but wrote it off.

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
(PM sent earlier to Bitbaltic).

Thank you everyone for your help!

So the deal has now been done. We are now the proud owners of "Gorjus"...

Gorjus.jpg

Summer of 2017 is gonna be AWESOME!

Last edited:

Sneds

Visit site
Gorjus!
I know her' seen her skulking around the floating harbour ��
Happy to offer up any advice or info you may need, locking out of Bristol to Avonmouth the first time is a great experience, happy to help of required.
Congrats on the purchase

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Gorjus!
I know her' seen her skulking around the floating harbour ��
Happy to offer up any advice or info you may need, locking out of Bristol to Avonmouth the first time is a great experience, happy to help of required.
Congrats on the purchase

Cheers! If you've seen her out over the past few weeks, that's probably because of us and our surveyor :). Before that, she's been ashore at Channel Yacht Sales for 6 months or so as far as we can tell.

Can't wait to take her out! Think we're gonna be mooching around the harbour to start with until we're familiar with it. It's all turning out quite well timed for something to do over the winter months in prep for summer.

Visit site
Just spent a pleasant 20 mins or so reading this thread..reminded me of myself from years gone by!.......We have just taken ownership of a new boat after selling our tried and tested Colvic "The Grumpy Uncle"...we now have a lovely Merry Fisher 530HB. We wanted to go up a few knots (a lot actually!) but with the ever increasing marina costs we also wanted something to fit on a trailer for the winter. We have a mooring at Dale for the summer which is very cheap so thats not an issue.
Part of the wifes remit was something we could overnight on, and although about the size of a dome tent for sleeping in, it fits the bill for us. Currently on our drive over hear near Chepstow, our first trip may well be a little jolly from Bristol harbour up to Bath for a night stop then back the next day sometime in early spring so you may well see us about...look out for "Time Drifter" and give us a wave, or even tag along!
Enjoy your boating, but heed this warning, the one that no one has yet told you and IMO, the biggest danger of all.....its bloody addictive!

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Just spent a pleasant 20 mins or so reading this thread..reminded me of myself from years gone by!.......We have just taken ownership of a new boat after selling our tried and tested Colvic "The Grumpy Uncle"...we now have a lovely Merry Fisher 530HB. We wanted to go up a few knots (a lot actually!) but with the ever increasing marina costs we also wanted something to fit on a trailer for the winter. We have a mooring at Dale for the summer which is very cheap so thats not an issue.
Part of the wifes remit was something we could overnight on, and although about the size of a dome tent for sleeping in, it fits the bill for us. Currently on our drive over hear near Chepstow, our first trip may well be a little jolly from Bristol harbour up to Bath for a night stop then back the next day sometime in early spring so you may well see us about...look out for "Time Drifter" and give us a wave, or even tag along!
Enjoy your boating, but heed this warning, the one that no one has yet told you and IMO, the biggest danger of all.....its bloody addictive!

Cheers! Will give you a wave if we see you!

We considered a Merry Fisher... but they certainly seem to lean towards fishing over anything else. What's your main intended use? With us, the wife wanted a speedboat, but I reckon it'd limit our range, so Gorjus was the compromise. Also, we needed cheapness in case we bugger it.

The update so far... parking and departing in wind with a current and with a boat in front and behind is interesting. We've now got 6 fenders on it. Am dreading the day we have to reverse park, but aim to get some practice in before we move/get-thrown-out of Bristol in March/April.

Next up: Windows resealing, VHF licence and engine servicing. Other bits and bobs double-checked too.

Then... THE BRISTOL CHANNEL OF DOOM. Uh oh! (At some point in March).

Lioness

Visit site
Congrats on your purchase of Gorjus.
Is she a Sealine 195? Does she have a single engine and an outdrive? The outdrive is that single or dual prop?
I ask as how she is set up will affect her handling particularly close quarters and the forum can give you some handling tips if that's of help?

Sneds

Visit site
Happy to help with your first Channel outing if required, have to spoken to Advance Marine in Portishead about the servicing?

Visit site
Cheers! Will give you a wave if we see you!

We considered a Merry Fisher... but they certainly seem to lean towards fishing over anything else. What's your main intended use? With us, the wife wanted a speedboat, but I reckon it'd limit our range, so Gorjus was the compromise. Also, we needed cheapness in case we bugger it.

The update so far... parking and departing in wind with a current and with a boat in front and behind is interesting. We've now got 6 fenders on it. Am dreading the day we have to reverse park, but aim to get some practice in before we move/get-thrown-out of Bristol in March/April.

Next up: Windows resealing, VHF licence and engine servicing. Other bits and bobs double-checked too.

Then... THE BRISTOL CHANNEL OF DOOM. Uh oh! (At some point in March).

Fishing is indeed our (my!) main interest, so you are right in saying that the MF530 is more of a fishing boat than anything else.....decent little cabin to kip in though, and space for a porta potti and a cooker :)

Visit site
Hi Tico...hope your well.....we are awaiting confirmation of a deeper mooring as I don't really want the new boat to sit down on her bum when the mooring dry's out...the old Colvic was fine there with the bilge keels, but the Merry Fisher, or me, won't be too happy sat on those rocks and bumpy bits! We may also be in line for a mooring over at Porthclais, but we will see what happens.

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Apologies for the delayed response... life is a bit chaotic at the moment... hoping to have much more time from May.

Congrats on your purchase of Gorjus.
Is she a Sealine 195? Does she have a single engine and an outdrive? The outdrive is that single or dual prop?
I ask as how she is set up will affect her handling particularly close quarters and the forum can give you some handling tips if that's of help?

Thanks for the congrats!

Yep, Sealine 195, single engine, outdrive and single prop.

She's quite good in close quarters, quite nimble, and think we're getting more confident at close-quarters maneuvering now :). Done a good few practice runs against the Mardyke jetty, reverse parked into our berth, and rafted during the pretty bad (to us) winds this Saturday.

Happy to help with your first Channel outing if required, have to spoken to Advance Marine in Portishead about the servicing?

Thanks for the offer... we went out for the first time this Saturday (vid below), which had quite a flotilla, including some guys in ribs from Bristol Crusing Club, so had lots of people around that would have hopefully helped if it all went to tits :). Was terrifying and awesome at the same time. Quite glad we could raft whilst in the lock... as in the rush, we didn't have our throw lines set up, and only realised last minute.

Boat is now fully serviced, by Channel Yacht Sales (Bristol, next to Underfall Yard) who have been invaluable so far! Have engine serviced, gas certified, electricals almost sorted, windows resealed (currently out), horn replaced, wiper motors replaced, shore charger fitted... quite a pricey hobby!

Fishing is indeed our (my!) main interest, so you are right in saying that the MF530 is more of a fishing boat than anything else.....decent little cabin to kip in though, and space for a porta potti and a cooker :)

Yeah, we did consider Merry Fisher's... but like you say, it's primarily a fishing boat. We just wanted something to sleep on and put a kettle on. We've banned ourselves from using the toilet until summer. Not looking forward to figuring that bit out! 38 years old guy... and I'll be asking how to use a toilet. Oh dear!

So here's us going out for the first time! Not very good at video editing, but gave it my best shot...

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
First part of any crew briefing on our- and many many other- yachts is how to use the marine toilet, no matter how old the crew are, so don't worry about that. They are mostly the same and I am guessing it is a jabsco?

Good to see such thorough prep for life as a boat owner, by the way.

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
First part of any crew briefing on our- and many many other- yachts is how to use the marine toilet, no matter how old the crew are, so don't worry about that. They are mostly the same and I am guessing it is a jabsco?

Good to see such thorough prep for life as a boat owner, by the way.

Genuinely no idea what kind of toilet it is... I did place an empty plastic milk bottle ( + lid!) in the same compartment... just... in... case. But me and the missus don't acknowledge it's existence ;)

And prep... yep... up to the eyeballs in prep... switched out the faulty VHF (myself, including hooking to the GPS), registered the boat with Ofcom, MMSI'd it, got myself VHF trained/licenced, gas sensor, extra gas cutoff switch, fire blanket, watched 100+ hours of videos, changed fire extinguisher (1 still to do soon), complete set of new lines, new gas cylinder. The list goes on and on and on!