Torsa no longer an island

SaltIre

Visit site
Lead vs Steel shot is a bit of thread drift, but here's the advice for Scotland:
There's a link on that page to legislation, which only prohibits use of lead over wetlands.
The Environmental Protection (Restriction on Use of Lead Shot) (Scotland) (No. 2) Regulations 2004

WoodyP

Visit site
There are alternatives to steel such as bismuth that can be used. Expensive, but cheaper than new barrels, and with the cost of driven shooting just a small part of the overall cost. Shooting is silly expensive.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Depleted uranium has been used to good effect by some shooters! Not sure it is less harmful than lead, though.
Probably about the same. Most heavy metals are poisonous to some degree. Despite it actually not being important, the radioactivity of uranium scares people - but it's plain, ordinary toxicity that's harmful. Apparently depleted uranium emits alpha particles, which don't travel far enough to be harmful, and it's half-life is immensely long (long enough to be useful for measuring the age of the Earth, around 4,500 million years), so the intensity of the radiation is extremely low.

Romeo

Visit site
I understand there may be some good news coming shortly leading to the removal of the obstruction. I hope the young lad learns some positive lessons from the reaction to his somewhat rash behaviour on this occasion. Marine Scotland have been the lead agency dealing with it. Neither SEPA nor the Council got involved. I will post definite information when I get it (if no one else does so first).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

I understand there may be some good news coming shortly leading to the removal of the obstruction. I hope the young lad learns some positive lessons from the reaction to his somewhat rash behaviour on this occasion. Marine Scotland have been the lead agency dealing with it. Neither SEPA nor the Council got involved. I will post definite information when I get it (if no one else does so first).

The marina manager where I am berths was saying that they need permission from marina scotland to pull anchors and reposition pontoons. So I am not surprised that that MS have had a say in the matter.

It looks like it has been ignorance as opposed to malice. Maybe Islay RNLI will get the £100!

SaltIre

Visit site
It's correct. The Cadzows have a high opinion of themselves, like most landowners who inherit ground stolen by their ancestors.

- W
Are you accusing Archie Cadzow's grandfather of stealing part of Luing? This article says he and his brothers bought it.
The three Cadzow brothers Denis, Shane and Ralph bought part of the 3900 acre Island of Luing in 1947. Ralph Cadzow, interviewed in 2005, looked back on the embryo days of the breed. “We were just practical cattlemen at the time.” Scale and size were important because fat cattle were paid on a dead-weight basis. There was a disconnect between pedigree breeders following the American fashion of compact cattle for ‘baby-beef’ and the economic reality of finishing cattle.
The ‘In Thing’ is Luing - Incheoch Breeding Stock Blairgowrie Scotland

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Na, you are right, the Cadzows bought Luing.

And the Barony of Cadzow lands, source of the original family wealth, were apparently awarded to a pair of Hamiltons after the Cadzows mistakenly chose to side with the English at Bannockburn.

So I guess it is a good comeback. But not a license to reshape the natural landscape and ride roughshod over swathes of related legislation.

Just doing stuff then applying for retrospective planning permission - and getting it - has a long history in this part of Argyll. The 'oh dear I didn' t realise I needed to ask' shocked claim is often part of it.

- W

Last edited:

MM5AHO

Visit site
This is similar to the blockage of the entrance to upper Loch Ailort. To get in there, you have to pass one side or the other of a small island Eilean nan Bairneach. The deeper narrow cut to the N of the island is now effectively blocked by mussel farming equipment that spans the width of the channel. There are two drying rock, and in calm weather a shallow draft boat can pass between these rocks, but its scary. The alternative is to pass to the North and West of the island, but this is shallow and getting shallower. The Antares chart shows 1.8m above datum, but that was a few years back now and its shallower this year.
The Torsa blockage isn't of a route taken by much more than dinghies and kayaks (none the less inconvenient), but the Ailort blockage is of a route that used to be oft used by cruising boats.

123QUWERTY

Visit site
Many small lobster fishermen use the Torsa channel. It saves the longer passage around Torsa Mor. Also some locals use this passage to access their moorings immediately to the North. I've heard reports of changes in the water levels in Ardinamir Bay and can only hope the shallow entrance does not silt up. The entrance is already low enough at low water to ground many an unsuspecting yacht.

Romeo

Visit site
Sounds like a great result - well done OP Romeo and the many people who took action in response to this unapproved causeway. I know quite a few people behind the scenes were very proactive in responding to this

I am not quite ready to celebrate. Mr C did say that he would remove it if told to do so by Marine Scotland but am waiting to see it all safely restored before relaxing. Looking forward to sharing pics when the job is done.

WoodyP

Visit site
Excellent, well done. Let's not be fooled though, this was not done by an idiot, it was done by a rich landowner who thought he would get away with it. Scotland is full of them.

- W
Actually there are very few rich landowners who between them own a large area. They provide employment for a few poor peasants. As far as I know Cadzows are successful farmers who put money into the economy. By definition you either have a large debt or a lot of spare cash to own land.