Torsa no longer an island

Romeo

Visit site
Someone has taken it upon himself to build a causeway across the narrow sea passage between Torsa and Luing. The passage was a useful back door out of the anchorage at Ardinamir for small boats and Kayaks. It is unknown what effect the works will have on wildlife and on the tidal flow and height in Ardinamir itself. There was no consultation, and the person responsible did not seek any permissions for doing the works, from Marine Scotland, Local Authority or SEPA. I will try to post photos when I get them. If you are unhappy about this, you might want to let Marine Scotland know why. RYA Scotland have been contacted, and hopefully will be able to make some representations.

Last edited:

dovekie

Visit site
Thank you for posting. I shall certainly register my concern. Is the Crown presumed to own intertidal ground in Scotland generally?

SaltIre

Visit site
What a torsa...:mad:
Looking from north-west:
1632496429117.jpeg

It is the link channel from Cuan Sound to Ardinamir Bay.
Cuan+Sound,+Link+Channel+to+Ardinamir+Bay,+edition+1.jpg

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
It would certainly be helpful if you could post some photos - and ideally some sketch over the relevant chart / Antares Chart of where the new causeway is. (NB Saltire's Antares chartlet is an old one of the link to Torsa Beag rather than Torsa itself, but the Ardinamar chartlet shows both.)

I would have thought the Crown Estate Scotland would be interested, as would the Royal Highland Yacht Club / CCC guys.

I wonder what Irene MacLachlan would have said !

Quandary

Visit site
She certainly gave me a severe bawling out for touching the rock the first time I ventured in there, though she was very nice to the wife and weans, remarkably when I found the courage to venture back years later she reminded me of my transgression.

D

Deleted member 36384

It's quite a ferocious flow of water through the gap so it must be delivering nutrients and stuff into the bay. I know that it is illegal to block to block off water ways without permission.

awol

Visit site
Looks ideal for a turbine. Torsa, despite being a "slate island" is fertile and the house is let as holiday accommodation. Dry shod access is an understandable desire. I am sure there are other environmental vandalisms that would better benefit from the forum's outrage.

Romeo

Visit site
This is of interest to those who do not use the passage for two reasons.

Firstly because of the unknown effect on a well known and loved anchorage. Taking out the tidal flow could well lead to silting up of Ardinamir.

Secondly if this is allowed to go unchallenged, it will give encouragement to the proponents of a Cuan Sound fixed link. I expect that those instructing or undertaking these works are such proponents and have no regard for the environmental consequences or the effect on navigation. Best to take a stand now, rather than waiting for a head of steam to get up behind a causeway to link Luing and Seil.

awol

Visit site
Again, an opportunity to make use of tidal power and of benefit to the inhabitants. Apart from reducing the incidence of keel damage and thus the livelihood of glass fibre repair persons and forcing boats that can't navigate the Clachan Sound to detour round Ardluing, what's the problem?

D

Deleted member 36384

I am a supporter of bridging the islands. Folks who live there may appreciate the convenience, but they also may not, hence community consultation must be paramount.

The issue raised by the OP is different, a blockage. This could easily have had large pipes below the causeway or even a bridge as an access solution. It’s just lazy and inconsiderate of potential consequences, assuming there has been no study.

However we see this sort of causeway in lots of places, Craobh being an obvious example, also a wee islet towards the head of Adfern. Would sailors complain if Adfern breached the blockage into the bit of loch to the south and dredged out the loch to expand their marina?

Apparently, marinas in Scotland, need studies to prove that there is no adverse effect and then permission from SEPA if they want to move pontoons around. Hence, I think the OP problem likely falls under SEPA.

dunedin

Visit site
This is of interest to those who do not use the passage for two reasons.

Firstly because of the unknown effect on a well known and loved anchorage. Taking out the tidal flow could well lead to silting up of Ardinamir.

Secondly if this is allowed to go unchallenged, it will give encouragement to the proponents of a Cuan Sound fixed link. I expect that those instructing or undertaking these works are such proponents and have no regard for the environmental consequences or the effect on navigation. Best to take a stand now, rather than waiting for a head of steam to get up behind a causeway to link Luing and Seil.

Yes, I am no expert but assume there must be a significant risk, if it is left permanently, of this leading to Ardinimir silting up.

Were any seahorses hurt in the making of this causeway ?

dunedin

Visit site
Well the owner of the only house on Torsa has today made clear that they were not involved with the new causeway Torsa Island :: Home

To quote from their website
We would like to clarify that the recent work done to the tidal sea channel between Luing and Torsa were carried out by Cadzow Bros of Luing and have NOTHING to do with ourselves or the owner of Torsa Island - 25 September 2021.

This subject appears to have gone large on Facebook now