Too much rode ?

Neeves

Visit site
You are not alone

IMG_7557.jpeg

There is weed and weed. If you choose to anchor in dense weed you will accumulate weed at the crown and the longer the anchor takes to engage and set (think CQR perhaps) the more weed you will collect. This is a Delta or Delta clone (cannot tell - too much weed!

You should not anchor in dense weed anyway, its is the nursery for young sealife and the more that is damaged and destroyed the higher there ire of the environmentalists.

You are, of course, quite correct the genuine CQR does have a narrow fluke, I'd say similar to a Kobra. I was not considering equating nor comparing with a CQR (to me chalk and cheese) but considering one of Kobra's peers of a similar generation such as Rocna - that has a wider heel (and roll bar - and the roll bar is a real killer in weed).

Jonathan

Last edited:

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I have not yet had the opportunity to test the Kobra in weed, but the CQR which, apart from the swivel, has a similar configuration has the nasty habit of collecting a large clump of weed or kelp around it's shank which prevents setting.
I’ve had my Kobra fail to set once in kelp which l now know is prolific in probably the nicest bay here on the island. No choice but to anchor deeper to avoid it.

billyfish

Visit site
No you misunderstood. This weed is the free floating type that wanders up and down the creek wrapping round anything in its path. It was so thick one year my dog thought it was land...imagine his shock when he went up to his ears. There was about a ton of it wrapped round the chain at water level that I got off with the boat hook the day before. Only seem to come across it in Newtown creek.?

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, still got a bit of it on my anchor from last week. It comes from the margins at high water and if that coincides with strong winds and currents on springs as it was at the weekend masses of it gets around chaains as you described. The mud bottom is pretty much weed free and normally good holding.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Just a thought but I would have thought that a 10kg anchor was on the light side for the conditions and the boat? I use a 15kg anchor on a similar size boat and in 40knots of wind and williwaws causing the boat to veer about I didn't drag.

Neeves

Visit site
I’ve had my Kobra fail to set once in kelp which l now know is prolific in probably the nicest bay here on the island. No choice but to anchor deeper to avoid it.

We have big kelp beds in Tasmania (which I think historically supported the same industries as in the West Highlands). The other problem with kelp is that it is secured to rock, or big stones, which will not be easy to offer any hold, if you get through the kelp. Better to try elsewhere.

Heavy weed is one of those seabeds that I would describe as 'difficult' - we don't bother trying anymore, we know where these difficult seabeds are - and go elsewhere (or look for the (white) of the sand patches).

Floating weed beds are a different issue - confession time - not one we have experienced.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
This
gives one a pretty good idea of the unique nature of Newtown River. Taken around half tide - and on a quiet day probably just out of season as the area in the north is usually rammed with anchored boats and the western arm is lined with moorings. The tidal range is about 3.5m and nowhere except in the narrow entry is there more than 3m at low water. At high water springs all the walls on the south side are underwater and the marsh behind covered. You can see all the floppy green weed around the walls and the margins which gets washed into the channels. As can be seen there is little protection from the north particularly at high water when the protecting bar is only just above water. Similarly from the southwest where most of our bad wind comes from in the summer.

One of those places which is the stuff of dreams in benign weather, particularly mid week out of school holidays in normal times. Fabulous sunsets and sunrises, resident colony of seals, good walking for the more energetic - and all less than 6 miles from what used to be one of the biggest oil refineries in Europe and Southampton docks.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
New boat is the same length as the old boat but half the weight. Still with a long keel .at anchor I put out more scope when the wind picks up as it did last night in a storm . Only in 3mt depth had 20mt out old boat would just sit there. New boat with more wind age yaws all over the place finally disloging the hook from the bottom..can you put out too much chain I wondered
You might find it worth trying to attach another warp to your anchor rode, say about 10 meters out and bring that back to a mid ships cleat. This will cause to you lay at an angle to the wind and this might keep the boat a lot more stable. A bit like a bridle for a cat.

Obviously choose the side in function of the waves and/or current.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Looking at photos of your boat type, it looks like the keel slopes down from the bow to the stern so the majority of the lateral resistance is at the stern. As such, the most advantageous suggestion so far is to hang another anchor or weight over the bow so that it dampens the swings.