Tom Cunliffe's Passage Planning

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I am not half the seaman TC obviously is, but I am slightly older and I made my own 'planning video' in Fecamp last year when I was bored with waiting for the gale to finish,,
must admit I use my laptop and phone more than he does
Thank you for the video, very useful. and its great to see how we all tackle passages. We all use our chartplotters and all other electronic navigation facilities available to us almost exclusively nowaday, including Tom Cunliffe and why not; and I am sure the vast majority of us will have charts onboard for an overview and for just in case.

GHA

Visit site
must admit I use my laptop and phone more than he does
Good on you for posting :cool:
Cruising imho laptop is essential, just far too useful not to use. Doesn't have to be one or the other though, you are actually allowed to use paper *and* a laptop at the same time!
Sasplanet is an amazing one more tool to have in the "use anything and everything" nav toolbox :cool: X 1000 cruising when even if you can get detailed charts you've no idea if they are in any way accurate.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thank you for the video, very useful. and its great to see how we all tackle passages. We all use our chartplotters and all other electronic navigation facilities available to us almost exclusively nowaday, including Tom Cunliffe and why not; and I am sure the vast majority of us will have charts onboard for an overview and for just in case.
Actually I blew it a couple of weeks before - I was coming round the Cherbourg peninsular towards St Vaast when the chart plotter went down and the laptop was (back then) only charged with 220v and had 50% battery power so with its GPS dongle it would only run for an hour or so.

No problem i will get out the paper charts... The only one I had of the area was the English Channel - Eastern part.. It was misty and the problem was when I could safely turn south... BUT electronics came to my aide... On my phone I had the Marine Traffic app and Golden Haze was displayed on that so I used that to clear the shallows and head south then used the laptop for the last hour... Now got the relevant charts out from under the bed and put them on board and purchased a 12v charger for lap top....

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Actually I blew it a couple of weeks before - I was coming round the Cherbourg peninsular towards St Vaast when the chart plotter went down and the laptop was (back then) only charged with 220v and had 50% battery power so with its GPS dongle it would only run for an hour or so.

No problem i will get out the paper charts... The only one I had of the area was the English Channel - Eastern part.. It was misty and the problem was when I could safely turn south... BUT electronics came to my aide... On my phone I had the Marine Traffic app and Golden Haze was displayed on that so I used that to clear the shallows and head south then used the laptop for the last hour... Now got the relevant charts out from under the bed and put them on board and purchased a 12v charger for lap top....
haha, we all done it....

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
That guy in seaplanes, what language is he talking in? By the time I'd done all that stuff, I could have looked at a chart twenty times....?

Seriously, it's clear not one size fits all. Every electronic aid that improves ones ability to navigate improves safety and enables more people to get afloat and enjoy themselves. But a lap top essential? Not in my opinion. A great tool if you have one and if you have detailed knowledge of how to use one, fine.

I'm a big fan of plotters too. But what if I'm sailing a boat without one? What if I'm not welded to a mobile phone and don't take it anywhere with me? There are a zillion reasons to understand, as you say, that one can use several styles together. But also, I reckon, not depend on any one. You can spill coffee on a chart, just as much as someone can break off your gps aerial using it as a handhold whilst being seasick.....

So lots of good advice on here as always. But we don't all do it the same way, wouldn't that be boring. And having seen plenty of people get themselves in a flap by not preparing a reasonable passage plan, especially on arrival and totally getting dizzy with pilotage, that mix of techniques has, great value, I reckon.

Whatever keeps you safe.........?

GHA

Visit site
That guy in seaplanes, what language is he talking in? By the time I'd done all that stuff, I could have looked at a chart twenty times....?
Seaplanes??? Do you the youtube in #45?
If so then it went a good few miles over your head, *using* nav data wasn't mentioned, he's showing you how to *get* accurate data from various sources, gold dust for cruising. Even if you can actually get hold some paper charts to look at they may or may not be up to date or accurate, these days there are options to get a host of data - increase your nav tool box massively :cool:

You don't have to but seems just plain daft as a brush not to get such useful additional resources as they're free, just a bit of learning involved. Why wouldn't anyone want that??

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
If so then it went a good few miles over your head, *using* nav data wasn't mentioned, he's showing you how to *get* accurate data from various sources, gold dust for cruising. Even if you can actually get hold some paper charts to look at they may or may not be up to date or accurate, these days there are options to get a host of data - increase your nav tool box massively :cool:

You don't have to but seems just plain daft as a brush not to get such useful additional resources as they're free, just a bit of learning involved. Why wouldn't anyone want that??
Yes that getting it stuff. No idea what he's talking about. And absolutely no inclination to learn. But hurrah for all the computer nerks that can understand that stuff. I'm gonna stick with learning Spanish as my second language, thanks. ?

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I confess I do not own a single up to date chart and my laptop chart is Cmap93... I confess the plotter discs are more modern... I don't think finding your lat long in this day and age is actually difficult as in my boat there are several sources and I can use that on a paper chart - if I have got one. When I used a sextant I never reckoned to get more than within say 10 miles and for the most part it didn't matter.

BUT a couple of decades ago I took a lightning strike which wiped out every single electronic machine on the boat including a domestic battery radio sitting on a shelf switched off. The compass I eventually discovered was 20 degrees out although over the weeks it came back...

So I am a big fan of being able to roughly work out where you are by DR on paper - Mary Blewitt said of position fixing 1) which ocean or sea are you in? Roughly what part? Do you have a logged position in the last 48 hours and so on so you end up with a big circle around your assumed position which is an the area of doubt and in terms of not hitting the land/rocks you advance that big circle till it touches - which is why I suppose navigation even pilotage is a bit of an art form rather than a science...
The electronics are fun and brilliant and make it so easy it is not really a challenge but the day you have no electricity in the boat....

GHA

Visit site
Yes that getting it stuff. No idea what he's talking about. And absolutely no inclination to learn. But hurrah for all the computer nerks that can understand that stuff. I'm gonna stick with learning Spanish as my second language, thanks. ?
Really not that difficult but if you don't try you won't know..... ;) though mainly gold dust for long distance cruising anyway, 99% on here can get paper easy enough and don't go anywhere off the beaten track.

If anyone does want to give it a try >>

How to make charts for Opencpn from Google sat & other sources

GHA

Visit site
The electronics are fun and brilliant and make it so easy it is not really a challenge but the day you have no electricity in the boat....
(y)
Luckily you are allowed both onboard ;cool; personally I find laptop just far quicker, then occasionally a paper passage plan which can be copied off opencpn if the passage is in any way complex. Very little of anything onboard that is reliant on just one system. There be dragons :)

IMHO it's worse limiting yourself by not investigating more options rather than limiting to fewer just cos something can conceivably go wrong.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
(y)
Luckily you are allowed both onboard ;cool; personally I find laptop just far quicker, then occasionally a paper passage plan which can be copied off opencpn if the passage is in any way complex. Very little of anything onboard that is reliant on just one system. There be dragons :)

IMHO it's worse limiting yourself by not investigating more options rather than limiting to fewer just cos something can conceivably go wrong.
I sailed round part of Asia - Komodo and Bali with only Cmap on my laptop with a few passage charts printed off the laptop onto sheets of A4!
My vid proves I am on your side but like others still cling to bits of paper

GHA

Visit site
I sailed round part of Asia - Komodo and Bali with only Cmap on my laptop with a few passage charts printed off the laptop onto sheets of A4!
My vid proves I am on your side but like others still cling to bits of paper

i went into brazil with some digital camera pics of an ancient cruising guide, rather spartan cm93 plus a bit of google satellite, none of which agreed!! :)

Luckily those days are gone now :cool:

East Cardinal

Visit site
You can never have enough information at the planning stage. However planned and executed the aim is to get where you want to go safely. Any equipment that achieves that is good, be it a compass and paper chart or the latest in electronic nav.
Many years ago returning from ops in the South Atlantic we called into a port in Ghana. Even with the latest available information onboard, you can imagine my surprise at seeing a port I’d described to the Captain as a smallish old harbour in reality turned out to be a massive new container port.
Still, berthing was a lot easier!!

38mess

Visit site
It's a youtube thing.
People make money according to how long they keep you in front of the screen, not how much information they convey in the time.
Is this true? I thought it was down to how many subscribe to your channel, and how many views each video has. A video can be five minutes long and get a million views and earn money.

lustyd

Visit site
No it's not. The post below it was an explanation but I reconsidered as it would have distracted from the thread. Monetisation is based on views (views being an internal YT definition) and impressions (clickthrough). Subscription numbers and likes don't really make a lot of difference, but you need 1000 subs to get monetised in the first place and 4000 hours watched within a year which is harder than you'd think. The amount of money depends on the subject matter and is based on the bid price for the ads they show during, before, and after your content.
Subs and percentage watch time per video count towards how often your content is shown to new users, and add to the "snowball effect" but don't affect money other than making it more likely that more people will see your content. The like button is almost meaningless, despite what many content creators believe. It's not reliable enough to be given much weight in an algorithm.
Contrary to popular belief, people who post one video that gets a million hits won't do well, especially if their content is just them larking about - there's just so much of that content that it's effectively worthless just like it was on TV.

GHA

Visit site
Yes that getting it stuff. No idea what he's talking about. And absolutely no inclination to learn. But hurrah for all the computer nerks that can understand that stuff.

I'm not wealthy. I don't even have a laptop.

Ah, makes more sense now ;) ;)
Someone who has never set foot in a kitchen has no idea about a youtube telling you how to make beans on toast ;)
Really not that hard, no where near geekyville.