Tom Cunliffe's Passage Planning

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I know that the vast majority of us here know all about Passage Planning. But there are a few new forumites on here that are fairly new to yachting and also its a good reminder for many of us about Passage Planning. The link below is a simple passage planning on youtube by Tom Cunliffe on a passage from Southampton Water to Chichester Harbour, an area that I know well, and I am sure hundreds of people here know it well too. The reason why I like this video is because there are no frills and it is just simple, quick and effective way to plan a short passage of this kind.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Not sure about the point you guys want to seem to make?
It seems that lustyd means to affectionately parody TC's well-known preference (which I share) of old-fashioned, well-made things whether quill pens or gaff cutters..although Tom treacherously sold his last pilot cutter and bought a newfangled bermudan, leaving the armchair gaffers without a figurehead!

lustyd

Visit site
Also his famous inability to get to the point when there's a story to be had! There was a video about celestial navigation he posted where more time was spent discussing the string around his neck and how long it had lasted than using the device. ? The next celestial navigation video he had the same sextant with a different strap.

lustyd

Visit site
He does, although the sextant was useless after his videos as he never actually explained anything of use to navigate! I eventually found tippecanoe content on YouTube which is excellent, although he dithers a lot too. Must be an old sailor thing!

TernVI

Visit site
He does, although the sextant was useless after his videos as he never actually explained anything of use to navigate! I eventually found tippecanoe content on YouTube which is excellent, although he dithers a lot too. Must be an old sailor thing!
It's a youtube thing.
People make money according to how long they keep you in front of the screen, not how much information they convey in the time.

Zagato

Visit site
Always a pleasure to listen to Tom, a great racantuer down the pub i am sure. A very knowledgeable guy through his own life's experiences but portrays it with modesty and charm. A rare thing these days. He is fortunate to appreciate differing times and wealthier in spirit for it i am sure. I am not as sharp as him at 55, let alone at 74.

prv

Visit site
It seems that lustyd means to affectionately parody TC's well-known preference (which I share) of old-fashioned, well-made things whether quill pens or gaff cutters.

He is nevertheless also a big fan of the cockpit plotter with projected-track line turned on, demonstrating that he's a practical seaman and not just an armchair pontificator ?

I had that video on in the background while doing something else yesterday, so I didn't follow every detail but the bits I heard all matched my own preferences. Paper chart overview for planning, a plotter when under way, no point entering a string of waypoints into it in advance, and use marks and informal transits as well as the tech.

I wouldn't sit down to "plan" a jaunt from the Hamble round to Chichester, beyond a quick check of the tides and weather, but of course this is a demonstration exercise for YouTube. I've done a daysail with Tom from Southampton down to the forts and back and nobody sat down with a chart for that one ;)

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
I always have a chart as back up on the seat, the same as a road map when the sat navigation directs me the wrong way. I love looking at maps, my little Garmin is invaluable but a bore to use... er from Pilsey Island to West Pole and back :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
The Andy Schell podcast, On the Wind has a good interview with TC; at home, with a glass ot two of something , the old boy really lets his hair down. (Figuratively speaking of course..)

Kelpie

Visit site
SWMBO and I usually take a bet on how far in to a video TC will get before uttering the words 'Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter". He let us down on this one, didn't mention it once!