Tollesbury Marina

DavidonMersea

Visit site
Last week we went to Tollesbury marina. As soon as I arrived I went to the clubhouse and bought a coffee and registered my car

To day I received a Parking Charge notice, telling me there is a £100 parking charge fine.

when I registered my car I was not given any documentation to show that I had registered my car, has anybody else had trouble with Tollesbury Marina?

tillergirl

Visit site
Quite a while back I did get caught taking too long to register. The take-away peeps won't enter; they used to deliver to the berth. Now they wait outside in the road.

Sailing steve

Visit site
I had a parking charge notice from Tollesbury when I visited the brokerage and handed over a not inconsiderable stack of cash to close the deal on my new boat.

In my case a robust phone call had the ticket rescinded, but the fact nobody in the office saw fit to inform me of the restrictions and at that time the signage announcing them was wholly inadequate rather suggests it's nothing more than a rapacious money making enterprise to me.

Fire99

Visit site
This is a real shame to hear. I used to have a boat at Tollesbury and it was always far more relaxed them. Part of it's recompense for not having access at all states of tide was a more informal social feeling about the place. This sounds very heavy handed..

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I assume they contract out the parking enforcement to one of the usual cowboy outfits? If so, a complaint to the marina can result in them telling the wolves to back off if the circumstances warrant.

Plum

Visit site
This is a real shame to hear. I used to have a boat at Tollesbury and it was always far more relaxed them. Part of it's recompense for not having access at all states of tide was a more informal social feeling about the place. This sounds very heavy handed..
I've heard from too many people who have been fined for parking and now only visit the bar/restaurant if there by boat.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Leighb

Visit site
I've heard from too many people who have been fined for parking and now only visit the bar/restaurant if there by boat.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Even then you have to make sure you visit when the Club/restaurant might be open. Shuts after lunch on Sunday not open again until Wednesday except for some weeks in "high" season whenever it may be be! In fairness that was a year or two ago so might be different now.

martcouz

Visit site
I've experienced this situation at Tollesbury when dining in the clubhouse. At the time the electronic equipment wasn't in use and I suspect the restaurant staff didn't pass on the paper form I completed. I spoke by phone with the marina office who assured me they'd deal with the parking charge but subsequently got letters from debt collectors. I went to the office and insisted they phoned the parking sub-contractor whilst I waited to ensure they cancelled any further action. That settled the matter.
Their parking arrangement is contracted out to a firm who install the cameras and then profit from the penalty charges. The relationship is purely commercial and it's clear the marina staff don't like phoning up to ask for penalty cancellation since I guess in the end the contractor may just refuse.

savageseadog

Visit site
It's a National problem, in England and Wales at least. The legal system in it's wisdom has decided to overturn centuries of legal precedent and legalise extortion.
Parking charge notices are legally enforceable by the way.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I've experienced this situation at Tollesbury when dining in the clubhouse. At the time the electronic equipment wasn't in use and I suspect the restaurant staff didn't pass on the paper form I completed. I spoke by phone with the marina office who assured me they'd deal with the parking charge but subsequently got letters from debt collectors. I went to the office and insisted they phoned the parking sub-contractor whilst I waited to ensure they cancelled any further action. That settled the matter.
Their parking arrangement is contracted out to a firm who install the cameras and then profit from the penalty charges. The relationship is purely commercial and it's clear the marina staff don't like phoning up to ask for penalty cancellation since I guess in the end the contractor may just refuse.
Thanks for sharing.
I don't think I will be visiting Tollesbury Marina in the future.

tillergirl

Visit site
At the risk of arguing that it is reasonable..... I guess the marina might have been plagued by grockles wanting to park close to the waterside. There is v. limited parking in the road outside but loads of visitors want to come down to the front. I think the marina would also be a little unhappy with non-boaty types getting into the marina.

johnalison

Visit site
At the risk of arguing that it is reasonable..... I guess the marina might have been plagued by grockles wanting to park close to the waterside. There is v. limited parking in the road outside but loads of visitors want to come down to the front. I think the marina would also be a little unhappy with non-boaty types getting into the marina.
Having had trouble with shoppers parking in my car park in the past, I can see the point of that, and have no sympathy for those whose sense of entitlement leads them to park on private spaces. However, if bona fide visitors are being penalised there is something desperately wrong with the system. I haven’t been there for a few years now, though may yet do so occasionally, when I think I shall taken photos during my visit to back up my story.