Tollesbury Marina tour

Bigplumbs

Visit site
What a Lovely video very well done. I was not aware of this marina. Looks like a lovely place to visit with the rib and small camper van. Many many thanks for posting this

Sailing steve

Visit site
Better to arrive by boat than car though.

If you turn up in a car chances are you'll miss the almost invisible sign informing you that parking vultures will stiff you for £80 the moment they have you on camera.

Ask me how I found that out...:mad:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Better to arrive by boat than car though.

If you turn up in a car chances are you'll miss the almost invisible sign informing you that parking vultures will stiff you for £80 the moment they have you on camera.

Ask me how I found that out...:mad:

Please explain further

ianfr

picasaweb.google.com
Please explain further
Parking at the marina is run by an outside company, all you need to do is stop at the office on the way in or at the Harbour View retaurant to register your car number. It costs nothing and there are plenty of signs stating that fact. Indeed the restaurant staff make a point of asking when you go in. It only takes a couple of seconds. It may be that the signs were inadequate initially, but they are pretty obvious now. This scheme was introduced because of visitors to the village and salt pool were parking in the marina blocking access for boat owners and restaurant customers. The salt pool which is next to the marina is nothing to do with the marina and it is unfair to expect the marina to allow free parking to all and sundry. Perhaps a quick call to the harbourmaster would have avoided the fine ?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Parking at the marina is run by an outside company, all you need to do is stop at the office on the way in or at the Harbour View retaurant to register your car number. It costs nothing and there are plenty of signs stating that fact. Indeed the restaurant staff make a point of asking when you go in. It only takes a couple of seconds. It may be that the signs were inadequate initially, but they are pretty obvious now. This scheme was introduced because of visitors to the village and salt pool were parking in the marina blocking access for boat owners and restaurant customers. The salt pool which is next to the marina is nothing to do with the marina and it is unfair to expect the marina to allow free parking to all and sundry. Perhaps a quick call to the harbourmaster would have avoided the fine ?
Many thanks for this information We are going to visit to check it out so will don’t as you say

Sailing steve

Visit site
Please explain further

I parked and called into the brokerage whilst in the process of buying a boat some while ago. Neither of the two staff members I spoke to mentioned a word about parking restrictions to me and the time there were no signs visible to that effect anywhere. A fine arrived in the post a few days later and it took a rather irate phone to have it annulled.

By coincidence I was at Tollesbury yesterday and with this thread in mind I had another look for restriction signs relating to the third party parking control and isssue of fines. There is one now, but it's on the outside of the workshop door which not only is to the side and easy to miss when looking ahead as you drive in but of course will also be completely invisible anytime that door is open.

It's private property and I have no issues whatsoever with there being parking constraints on it. What I do have an issue with though is the surreptitious and obscure manner in which they are signed which rather smacks of entrapment to me.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I parked and called into the brokerage whilst in the process of buying a boat some while ago. Neither of the two staff members I spoke to mentioned a word about parking restrictions to me and the time there were no signs visible to that effect anywhere. A fine arrived in the post a few days later and it took a rather irate phone to have it annulled.

By coincidence I was at Tollesbury yesterday and with this thread in mind I had another look for restriction signs relating to the third party parking control and isssue of fines. There is one now, but it's on the outside of the workshop door which not only is to the side and easy to miss when looking ahead as you drive in but of course will also be completely invisible anytime that door is open.

It's private property and I have no issues whatsoever with there being parking constraints on it. What I do have an issue with though is the surreptitious and obscure manner in which they are signed which rather smacks of entrapment to me.

Heck I felt from the video that this was a very nice and friendly place and am naturally having various different thoughts. I will reserve judgement but will certainly ask about the parking

Sailing steve

Visit site
Heck I felt from the video that this was a very nice and friendly place and am naturally having various different thoughts. I will reserve judgement but will certainly ask about the parking

I kept a boat in Tollesbury marina many years ago and found most of the berth holders sociable and friendly.

My only complaint - and the reason why I left after just a couple of seasons was the lack of dredging. According to the marinas own chart at the time there should have been more than sufficient depth for my boat to remain afloat at all states of the tide but the actual reality was my berth and a number of others on the same ponton were so badly silted up I had nothing better than a mud berth once the marina emptied out every tide to cill depth which quickly ruined my anti fouling.

On the matter of parking infringements at Tollesbury I also noticed the camera gathering data is painted exactly the same colour as the building it's placed upon and mounted sufficiently high to be well out of direct sight, both of which render it remarkably unobtrusive. If the purpose of the camera was for enhanced security rather than surreptitiously raising revenue then it would make complete sense to position it as conspicuously as possible rather than secrete it away and conveniently hide the warning notice associated with it behind a door whenever it's open.

Ya pays ya money and makes ya choices of course, but I've no intentions of going back.

ianfr

picasaweb.google.com
Just for clarity
Notice on main office door.
OFFICE.jpg

Notice by the side of the road on the way to the car park
road.jpg

There is also a notice at the top of the ramp down to the car park, and also one in the entrance to Harbour View.

We moved into the Marina in June and have found the management, staff and boat owners to be sociable and helpful.

Dredging is taking place, albeit fairly slowly, but I would be surprised if the pace did not pick up as boats are being brought ashore and room becomes available to get the dredger in place.

Ian

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Thanks for the pics of the signs etc. For clarity if you are just visiting the marina to have a look round for potential future ‘use’ what do you do about the parking situation

ianfr

picasaweb.google.com
Thanks for the pics of the signs etc. For clarity if you are just visiting the marina to have a look round for potential future ‘use’ what do you do about the parking situation
Just go into the office and say you are visiting and give them your registration number each time you visit. They will log you in to the system for the day, weekend or whatever period you are there for. As a berth holder we get yearly registrations. The whole process takes a couple of minutes. If for any reason the office is shut then you can register as the Harbour View bistro. As long as you register before you leave there should not be a problem.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Just go into the office and say you are visiting and give them your registration number each time you visit. They will log you in to the system for the day, weekend or whatever period you are there for. As a berth holder we get yearly registrations. The whole process takes a couple of minutes. If for any reason the office is shut then you can register as the Harbour View bistro. As long as you register before you leave there should not be a problem.

Many thanks

Greg2

Visit site
One of our favourite spots on the east coast. We visited by boat in July and enjoyed a pleasant couple of days and we popped in a month or so ago to view a boat. Luckily we didn’t get caught out by the parking and registered with the Harbourmaster.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
We had a little explore trip to Tollesbury Marina Yesterday. Here is a 360 Pano Photo that is quite informative that I took on my Drone. Click the link below. Let the image form and then click in it and drag it about. You can also click it to full screen

It was a little dull and the light was fading but it is still useful

The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com