Toledo 30 Byron Handicap

Sean Carter

Visit site
I have a Toledo 30 yacht which is an old 1/2 tonner and am entering an event using Byron Handicap and it is not on the Byron Handicap List. Has anyone got any idea what Byron Handicap it should be.

I am thinking around 1010ish. There are a lot of boats that have personal handicaps which seem very generous to me.

Anyone actually been in a race with a Toledo 30 under Byron. I would be grateful for any feedback.

Sean

ithet

Visit site
I got a Byron handicap issued for a previous boat. I seem to remember that there is a form to send in online. There might have been a small donation involved.

ithet

Visit site
Do you get a better handicap if make a bigger donation ? :)

PS What is this Byron handicap referred to? Never heard of before.
Seems to be used by for club racing where people need something for the of race or two. Figure seem to be similar to Portsmouth Number.
Byron Boats

Not a better handicap with the bigger donation, maybe a quicker answer if I remember correctly.

dancrane

Visit site
If I remember, Byron's ratings reckon the almost-inert Heavenly Twins catamaran is faster than the ex-Olympic Finn dinghy...

...and that the Fisher 25 is faster than the Laser 4.7.

Possibly in a full gale, when there's no hope of either dinghy staying upright.

But there may be room for doubt about the basis of those calculations, too.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Don’t know if this helps but 2011 PY gives a handicap of 968, The NHC list gives a handicap of 0.980.
not sure how to equate either PY or NHC to Byron.

Last edited: