To stand on, or not to stand on

dulls

N/A
Visit site
You didn't like getting pulled up for talking rubbish, it's easy, learn what your talking about and don't spout rubbish. That's the bottom line. Makes no difference how often you try change to subject or to squirm away from it or how many digs you want to get in.
Too late. Easier to give up and stop digging that deep ho;e you're already in.
What qualifications do i need as a minimum to converse on this forum kind sir? Be nice because you can? I am here taking it on the chin. What more could you ask for? Qualifications needed?:):):):):):)

dulls

N/A
Visit site
You didn't like getting pulled up for talking rubbish, it's easy, learn what your talking about and don't spout rubbish. That's the bottom line. Makes no difference how often you try change to subject or to squirm away from it or how many digs you want to get in.
Too late. Easier to give up and stop digging that deep ho;e you're already in.
I am an ex Merchant Navy Officer and am well familiar with the challenges of avoiding small vessels in busy coastal waters. It is impossible to alter course early for every possible danger. You would end up going around in circles. Small boats, especially sailing boats, alter course frequently and erratically ( tacking?).

Standard approach on a big ship would be to mark the sailing boat as a target and monitor it closely but push on until it became clear that it was totally necessary to alter course. 99% of small boats will realise that it makes more sense for them to make a minor change and they will keep out of the way. In the circumstances on the video if I was the sailing boat I would have turned to starboard early and removed the risk of collision and then slipped in behind the ferry. This needs to be a decisive change and performed early to make intention completely clear to the ferry.

The yacht on the video had a mindset which was “ I am the stand on vessel and I am dammed if I will give that up” which is not a good game to play with a Greek ferry.. Post 20 by Dutch. You agree with him or disagree with him?

GHA

Visit site
What qualifications do i need as a minimum to converse on this forum kind sir? Be nice because you can? I am here taking it on the chin. What more could you ask for? Qualifications needed?:):):):):):)
Do you really not get it? Stop posting dangerous rubbish then people won't tell you that you are posting rubbish and you shouldn't.

dom

Visit site
Do you really not get it? Stop posting dangerous rubbish then people won't tell you that you are posting rubbish and you shouldn't.

This is now the second longish thread 'dulls' has entered late and destroyed, the previous one being about Scotland where he tried to rekindle the nationalist debate.

There's no doubt dulls knows little about ships and seamanship, his latest faux pas being post #238 where he incorrectly states, " Ships are faster now than they were 60 years ago so the yachtsmen has a small amount of time to react and has only 5 knots of speed to play with on most occasions." Which is of course wrong on both counts, the average speed of container ships being 21kts in the early 1970s compared to 15-19kts under today's ubiquitous slow steaming regime, and yachts are generally faster than 5kts these days.

Point that out and he'd no doubt dream up another excuse.............

An obvious troll IMHO for which the ignore button has been designed??

dulls

N/A
Visit site
This is now the second longish thread 'dulls' has entered late and destroyed, the previous one being about Scotland where he tried to rekindle the nationalist debate.

There's no doubt dulls knows little about ships and seamanship, his latest faux pas being post #238 where he incorrectly states, " Ships are faster now than they were 60 years ago so the yachtsmen has a small amount of time to react and has only 5 knots of speed to play with on most occasions." Which is of course wrong on both counts, the average speed of container ships being 21kts in the early 1970s compared to 15-19kts under today's ubiquitous slow steaming regime, and yachts are generally faster than 5kts these days.

I agree use it.

dulls

N/A
Visit site

Can you quote my Scottish post, i need to be reminded.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I'm a bit surprised at the way 'dulls' seems to have taken umbrage over JM's posts, I alway consider JM's posts to be polite but on principles of seamanship firm.
As a humble holder of an ancient Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (Awarded 40 years ago) I am always prepared to listen to those who are still active in the operation of RYA training as I think JM is.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised at the way 'dulls' seems to have taken umbrage over JM's posts, I alway consider JM's posts to be polite but on principles of seamanship firm.
As a humble holder of an ancient Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (Awarded 40 years ago) I am always prepared to listen to those who are still active in the operation of RYA training as I think JM is.
I posted a well known ditty which supports JM posts but it got taken well too seriously. it is a ditty nothing more. I did not put it out there to disturb so many. I have tried to explain myself and i absolutely regret putting it up. It did not occur to me that i would get this sort of reaction. I whole completely apologise for my post. It was not my intention to offend anyone.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I posted a well known ditty which supports JM posts but it got taken well too seriously. it is a ditty nothing more. I did not put it out there to disturb so many. I have tried to explain myself and i absolutely regret putting it up. It did not occur to me that i would get this sort of reaction. I whole completely apologise for my post. It was not my intention to offend anyone.

I don't think you did intend to offend anyone, it was just the way it came over.
We've all done it, written something then realised someone has read it differently to your intended meaning.
In general Scuttlebutt and Reader to Reader are fairly tame, if you really feel like getting 'battered' go on the Lounge.

steve350

Visit site

Good man.
Many folk wouldn't be prepared to make this kind of admission.