If, to your STARBOARD, RED appear
It is your duty to keep clear;
To act as judgement says is proper,
Port your helm - back - or stop her.
But when, upon your PORT, is seen
A steamer's starboard light of GREEN,
There's not so much for you to do,
For Green to Port keeps clear of you.

It obviously needs another line or two to cover what to do when "Green to Port" is making you feel uncomfortable and maybe a couple of lines at the start to cover headless-chicken behaviour.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Then there is more doggerel ........

It obviously needs another line or two to cover what to do when "Green to Port" is making you feel uncomfortable and maybe a couple of lines at the start to cover headless-chicken behaviour.
Does that mean that I have to keep clear of the overtaking boat steaming towards me on my starboard side? o_O

Richard

laika

Visit site
You quote me and then draw the opposite conclusion to the quote. I used the term "mock" and "wrong attitude". ???? anyway apparently it is all down to my lack of smiley faces.

I appreciate that everyone may be misinterpreting you and this is possible given the medium. The "wrong attitude to apply to the colregs" people quoting O'Day usually mean is "slavishly following the rules until they kill them". Did you mean something different? Because in this poem Mr. O'Day's demise comes from *not* following the colregs, specifically rule 17 and rule 2

"mocks the right of way issue"...what *is* the right of way issue? I honestly don't understand that. Sorry to ask you to explain the jokes: I know it spoils them but I thin the majority of people reply to you aren't understanding your meaning.

dom

Visit site
I appreciate that everyone may be misinterpreting you and this is possible given the medium.....

As 'dulls' posts mount, it would seem his/her objective is to lure threads out of their normal traffic flow towards a sad, dull end.

Perhaps he/she's a latter-day Siren? :)

dulls

N/A
Visit site
Then there is more doggerel ........

Dont put up a poem for Gods sake. Also use plenty of smiley faces. Too many on here will take you literally.....

dulls

N/A
Visit site
As 'dulls' posts mount, it would seem his/her objective is to lure threads out of their normal traffic flow towards a sad, dull end.

Perhaps he/she's a latter-day Siren? :)
A forum on col regs will always attract a majority of very serious:):):):):):):):):):):):) people.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
I appreciate that everyone may be misinterpreting you and this is possible given the medium. The "wrong attitude to apply to the colregs" people quoting O'Day usually mean is "slavishly following the rules until they kill them". Did you mean something different? Because in this poem Mr. O'Day's demise comes from *not* following the colregs, specifically rule 17 and rule 2

"mocks the right of way issue"...what *is* the right of way issue? I honestly don't understand that. Sorry to ask you to explain the jokes: I know it spoils them but I thin the majority of people reply to you aren't understanding your meaning.
The poem stands by itself. Interpret it how you may.....:):):):):):):):):):)

GHA

Visit site
A forum on col regs will always attract a majority of very serious:):):):):):):):):):):):) people.
On here when you post guff about the irpcs which going on what you wrote you really don't have much of a handle on, someone will always pull you up. There's a danger someone new might mistake you for someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Better idea to go away and learn, until then best just to keep out of it. :rolleyes:

dulls

N/A
Visit site
On here when you post guff about the irpcs which going on what you wrote you really don't have much of a handle on, someone will always pull you up. There's a danger someone new might mistake you for someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Better idea to go away and learn, until then best just to keep out of it. :rolleyes:
Be nice because you can. You have no idea what i do or do not know about the col regs. Are you a moderator? Do you think your a moderator?:):):):):):):)

GHA

Visit site
Be nice because you can. You have no idea what i do or do not know about the col regs. Are you a moderator? Do you think your a moderator?:):):):):):):)
You asked a question, you got an honest reply.
If you don't like it then you're a bit stuffed really. You've shown already you haven't got much of a handle on the irpcs already by bringing right of way into it. To late to claim otherwise.
If you don't like it then tough really :rolleyes:

dulls

N/A
Visit site
:):):):):):):):):):):)
You asked a question, you got an honest reply.
If you don't like it then you're a bit stuffed really. You've shown already you haven't got much of a handle on the irpcs already by bringing right of way into it. To late to claim otherwise.
If you don't like it then tough really :rolleyes:
The poem did. I posted the poem to highlight that attitude. Be nice because you can.:):):):):):)

laika

Visit site
The poem stands by itself. Interpret it how you may

It has no value by itself. The message you were trying to convey in posting it is what we've spent the past few pages discussing. Most people interpreted it the same way and replied accordingly but you seemed to imply this was not the correct interpretation. If you don't tell us what you actually meant, we can only assume the initial assumption was correct.

GHA

Visit site
The poem did. I posted the poem to highlight that attitude.

This is what you wrote _
Here lies the body of Daniel O Day,
who died maintaining his right of way,
He was right, dead right as he sailed along,
but he is just as dead as if he had been wrong.

I once sailed with a skipper who always maintained his right of way. It made for very stressful sailing. The trick is to alter course long before right of way is even an issue. "Might is right".

Right of way, might is right!! Dangerous guff , post rubbish like that then it's too late for you to claim you know much about the irpcs.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
This is what you wrote _

Right of way, might is right!! Dangerous guff , post rubbish like that then it's too late for you to claim you know much about the irpcs.
i have explained both to the experts and head teachers on here. Be Nice because you can...:):):):):):):)

dulls

N/A
Visit site
This is what you wrote _

I was just having a think...What sort of qualifications should i have to post on here? Can you name some you respect? :):):):):):):):) you know seeing it is about col regs

GHA

Visit site
i have explained both to the experts and head teachers on here.
The trick is to alter course long before right of way is even an issue. "Might is right".
You posted rubbish which anyone with a handle on the irpcs would know is rubbish, no amount of wriggling will get you out of that. Too late.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
The trick is to alter course long before right of way is even an issue. "Might is right".
You posted rubbish which anyone with a handle on the irpcs would know is rubbish, no amount of wriggling will get you out of that. Too late.
dam it. Condemned for life. Be nice because you can. Will this post effect my pay? Anyway what sort of qualification is needed? What would you accept?:):):):):):):)

GHA

Visit site
dam it. Condemned for life. Be nice because you can. Will this post effect my pay? Anyway what sort of qualification is needed? What would you accept?:):):):):):):)
You didn't like getting pulled up for talking rubbish, it's easy, learn what your talking about and don't spout rubbish. That's the bottom line. Makes no difference how often you try change to subject or to squirm away from it or how many digs you want to get in.
Too late. Easier to give up and stop digging that deep ho;e you're already in.