To stand on, or not to stand on

Stingo

Visit site
At the very beginning of the video, it's questionable if he actually is the stand on vessel i.e. 2 or 3 minutes before filming started, he very likely wasn't the stand on vessel. Take avoiding action then instead of making a f****ing self-entitled YouTube video your priority, captain. Get over yourself.
It's self-entitled tw*ts like you that give cruising sailors a nasty reputation [/rant]

PhillM

Visit site
Simples, he should have just tacked away.

Listening to him prattling on about on RYA Yacthmaster he is quoting it all wrong ... he says he has to stand on whatever... we all know that he is wrong under CollRegs.

oldharry

Visit site
E Solent sailors meet that sort of situation every week. Ferries are not constrained by draught so they cut corners inshore towards Brading. You make it entirely clear what you are going to do, and if you are not sure you are going to clear SAFELY, you make a decisive course change to show them what you will do to remain safe. You dont faff around in front of one of those things! Above all else you DONT STOP or slow down! To suggest the OOW was making coffee and 'didnt see them' is simply prattish. Even for a Greek ferry!

Seen from head on a few degrees course change by a big ship to clear you is far from obvious. I reckon the ferry had altered just enough to pass clear astern of the yacht - PROVIDED IT MAINTAINED ITS SPEED. It didnt!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I watched the video without sound so I don't know if the commentary was illuminating but I thought that he was going to pass in front of the ferry when suddenly the camera was dropped and after that I have no idea what was going on. Was there a problem? :unsure:

Richard

Visit site
Rule 1. Get out of the way. You'll die, they won't. Stop being a stand on tw*t. Do a 360 to starboard and come in behind him about 20 minutes ago.

Tomahawk

Visit site
I had one like that in the Dover Straits..
I called him up on the vhf and said I was watching him and thought we were getting close.
He changed course before I offered to take avoiding action...

PilotWolf

Visit site
Maintain your course and speed if you’re the stand on vessel. Anything else will confuse the OOW.

Until the point it is clear that a risk of collision exists.! The IRPCS are pretty clear on that point. The size issues is only relevant in a
risk of collision (some exceptions of course),

Difficult to tell from the video but I’m prettt sure if the yacht had held his course and speed the ferry would have passed astern iif him

If he was really that worried a 180 turn or radio call rather than charging around like a headless chicken. swearing Would have been more constructive.

I would say the ferry knew he was going to pass clear astern originally and was making small course adjustments to being him back to his track.

W

PS. why is it always assumed deck officers drink coffee? Can’t stand the stuff myself! ;)

Last edited:

Dutch01527

Visit site
I am an ex Merchant Navy Officer and am well familiar with the challenges of avoiding small vessels in busy coastal waters. It is impossible to alter course early for every possible danger. You would end up going around in circles. Small boats, especially sailing boats, alter course frequently and erratically ( tacking?).

Standard approach on a big ship would be to mark the sailing boat as a target and monitor it closely but push on until it became clear that it was totally necessary to alter course. 99% of small boats will realise that it makes more sense for them to make a minor change and they will keep out of the way. In the circumstances on the video if I was the sailing boat I would have turned to starboard early and removed the risk of collision and then slipped in behind the ferry. This needs to be a decisive change and performed early to make intention completely clear to the ferry.

The yacht on the video had a mindset which was “ I am the stand on vessel and I am dammed if I will give that up” which is not a good game to play with a Greek ferry..