Time to switch to electric ?

siwhi

Visit site
A scary night for all concerned. I had a similar capsize in the strong surf in Barbuda, but in daylight, when sober and with an inflatable. However my petrol outboard didn’t work afterwards. I expect the Torqeedo worked the next morning. Shows that it is indeed waterproof!

Yes! Good point, if framed right it's a strong selling point - an electric outboard works even after (and during!) immersion, unlike petrol ones (unless you're lucky). I've also flipped our dinghy and it was a world of pain to get the outboard running again. I also later got it trapped under a pier as the tide came in (someone moved the dinghy to make space on the pier) and the outboard was immersed - lots more hassle.

I can't put any fault on the Torqeedo in that incident. Drunk dinghy skippers-turned-swimmers, banana boats and failure to wear a kill cord could easily have caused it to be much worse.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
so they're very popular with many wives of sailors.

And I'm about to purchase one absolutely because of this, my wife and daughters struggle to pull the start on the little Honda, you need to understand the choke, fuel taps, breather knob, lift it off the dinghy (they are all short folks) and to be honest, yes they could learn all this and I am sure would make good use of the Honda but it would take time and effort that they are not prepared (or willing) to take as opposed to a nice clean 1130 (I think?) which they can lift themselves, twist and go - and especially for the daughters - has a digital readout telling them "stuff" they might be interested in.

It's a compromise for safety and ease of use that we are prepared to make, and the Honda will live in the lazarette ready for longer trips (which as yet in 6 years we've never had to do).

Poignard

Visit site
I had a look at one of them at the Bosun's Locker in South Queensferry. Nice, but still costs twice what it would take to lure me away from oars. Small markets and all that, but for an electric motor, a small Li-ion battery and some plastic parts these things are extortionately expensive.
Here you go. The Cheapskate Electric Outboard:

electric drill outboard beale park 2011 (1).jpgelectric drill outboard beale park 2011 (2).jpgelectric drill outboard beale park 2011 (3).jpg

:D

ryanroberts

Visit site
I had a look at one of them at the Bosun's Locker in South Queensferry. Nice, but still costs twice what it would take to lure me away from oars. Small markets and all that, but for an electric motor, a small Li-ion battery and some plastic parts these things are extortionately expensive.

Yeah I went for 4 stroke, couldn't justify the unit cost and I don't have the solar / battery capacity to justify one either.

Zagato

Visit site
How about this hand operated propellor arrangement... seriously might be OK for 400 yards to get to a moored boat. Need to see it in a chop, against tide with the tender full of people.

Last edited:

Homer J

Visit site
Thanks for that

I remember whenTorqueedo came out that I thought it was the way of the future, but I also recall thinking they were expensive

I guess what’s behind my thinking is whether there are new to market motors since then with better batteries and lower prices, with good user experience and satisfaction .

I think what has also crossed my mind is that they may be less resilient to an immersion than a Honda? Probably a write-off?

A torqeedo is fully waterproof.