Timber for mast repair

johnnyseagull

Visit site
I have to scarph in a new section to the bottom of the mast on my Seamew. It is a 1960s hollow mast laminated in two halves. What type of wood do i need and where can i get it.
John

Why is the water so high??:eek:

Tranona

Visit site
The most common timber for masts is Douglas Fir, although if it was a really high class one it might be Sitka Spruce. Douglas Fir is readily available from any decent timber merchant, but I guess you will only need a small amount and you might be better off trying one of the traditional style boatyards such as Cockwells in Mylor or Stones in Salcombe for an offcut. Robbins Timber in Bristol stock good clear lengths if you want bulk.

johnlilley

www.seasurveys.co.uk
Hi there

masts are generally made from douglas fir (scots pine/oregon pine) or spuce. Douglas fir is heavier & more durable than spruce but slightly redder in colour. Available from some joinery outlets or or timber importers/wholesale supplies, but probably easier to locate a small piece in a local joinery company.

Nothing too special really about spruce other than it is used for high class spars. Perhaps too much focus placed on the type of pine used occasionally as the most important aspect is to choose a slow grown section (more growth rings per inch radius), avoid the inclusion of any sap timber, this means a large diameter tree, and avoid a section which has severe knots.

Learn how to identify the sap borders, usually a much lighter colour & discard as this will decay much sooner. Make sure the timber is dry, not just felled/sawn as this will be both wet & will distort as it dries.

There are many species of pine that will make excellent masts if the timber is chosen carefully. Avoid treated or tanalised timber as this will not varnish very well & the chemicals may inhibit gluing.

Hope that helps.

John Lilley

johnnyseagull

Visit site
thanks folks.
that confirms what i thought and will allow us to get started. the mast is already split lengthwise and should be good for another fifty years when finished. the next questions will be about brightwork but time enough for that thorny issue.
JK