Tidal surge warning

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Going back to the OP if I may, does anyone know what caused the surge? The wind was only just to the north of west and ir wasn’t a particularly extreme weather system to cause surge.
You have to look at the entire tidal basin, in this case the Southern North Sea. I haven't looked, but it may well be high pressure on the other side of the basin or northerly winds in the Northern North Sea. There are significant non-local effects on tides; the weather and barometric pressure at one place may not be diagnostic of the entire basin. Further, there are resonance effects; the basin will respond more strongly to inputs at particular frequencies. They are predictable, but not without a model of the entire tidal basin. Further, the influence of inlets is to amplify any surge - for the most extreme example, see the Bay of Fundy!

PeterWright

Visit site
How much of this was surge?
Literally none. Tide tables give you the predicted tide resulting from the gravitational pull of the sun and moon on the oceans and the effects of the wirld's geogfaphy on the resultant flows. Surge describes the difference from thhe predicted tidal levels resulting from meteorological effects, principally wind and pressure.

The figure from the tide table therefore includes no surge.

Peter.

nortada

Visit site
Literally none. Tide tables give you the predicted tide resulting from the gravitational pull of the sun and moon on the oceans and the effects of the wirld's geogfaphy on the resultant flows. Surge describes the difference from thhe predicted tidal levels resulting from meteorological effects, principally wind and pressure.

The figure from the tide table therefore includes no surge.

Peter.
Think we are in a different conversation. My question was about high-water on Sunday 6th November.

At Walton the predicted high water was 4.03 mtr but the actual time was about a meter higher - this was the surge, which was one of the highest we have seen this year.

My interest was, how high it was in other ports in this area. Sorry if I didn’t make that clearer.

As you say, tide tables cannot predict surges.

Last edited: