Tidal passage-planning software - for Mac

BelleSerene

Visit site
Hello friends - been a while since I was on here.

What's the best/ a good passage-planning app for Mac? I used to use Neptune Navigation's Passage Planner Plus, but I had to run a 'virtual machine' to make that Windows-based software run on a Mac. Now I can't be bothered.

Yes, of course I can do it on paper without the machine - but it's very useful to press a button and have the respective leg durations and courses to steer laid out for me at different departure times, without repeating the pencil-and-paper arithmetic.

My application is just for cross-channel passages at the moment. Grateful for advice!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
With or without internet connection?
Navionics will do it as will Predict wind and I'm sure many others but It removes you from the planning process which is not a good thing.

laika

Visit site
Navionics will do it as will Predict wind and I'm sure many others but It removes you from the planning process which is not a good thing.

I think the big deal with Neptune (not that I've used it personally but I've seen it discussed) is its ability to calculate course to steer taking account of wind and currents. I don't believe Navionics can do that (unless they've updated it recently)

dutyhog

Visit site
Have you tried Neptune with Wine on your Mac? I find it easily runs lots of Windows stuff. It’s much quicker to use than opening a virtual machine apps - you just double click on Neptune.exe (assuming Wine runs it).